Burning sensation during deadlift?

Options
So, the past 2 times I've done my RDLs I've felt this intense burning sensation when I get to the bottom of the lift. Not like a "feel the burn" sensation but a more literal burn as if someone just put out a cigarette on my hip or something. Only lasts for a couple seconds, and I feel it smack in the middle of my outer hip. It's not a radiating pain either.

I've only been lifting for a couple of months but like I said I've only experienced this the past 2 times, and I'm progressing pretty slow with my lifts. Am I lifting too heavy? Has my form somehow gotten off? Tight hip flexors? What the hell is this??

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Possibly tight hip flexors? Do you foam roll? I don't know. My hip flexors get tight and wonky but I've never experienced a "burning" sensation.
  • courtmarrow
    courtmarrow Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I keep meaning to use a foam roller! For whatever reason my gym only has one and most of the time I either can't find it or someone is using it. Maybe I'll be more diligent about using one and see if that helps
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Google how to foam roll the hips. You can get in there pretty well with it. I use a tennis ball too...though it looks kind of odd at the gym because people can't tell WHAT you're doing.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    It's a good investment. I'd pick one up from amazon.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I have a similar feeling when I've rotated my hip in a way I shouldn't - I have one that comes out of the socket if I'm not careful. It's usually accompanied by a horrible cramp in the surrounding muscles, though.

Makes me wonder if you didn't overstress a tendon or ligament.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    is it internal or you can touch the spot on your skin??

If it's internal at ALL it sounds very much like piraforums or SI joint issues (ask my how I know)

if it's external- IT band is my first guess.

Get your own foam roller and tennis ball (I use a LAX ball- 2.99 from a sporting goods store) learn now to roll and do it regularly.
  • courtmarrow
    courtmarrow Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys! It seems strictly external to where I don't feel it in my leg, but more on. Shopping on amazon for a foam roller tonight!