Self diagnosed sugar addict-Trying to stop, tips?

Options
My discussion title kind of says it all. I'm getting back into running but my sugar intake is still out of control. Any help would be great :-)

Replies

• markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Add fat.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    What are you out of control with?
  • dkozey
    dkozey Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Toss it all. Anything considered a sweet, get rid of it. Don't make excuses to save them around the house. Make your household cut out sweets. And vow not to bring any back into the house. Substitute valentine gifts with non food presents and other holidays too. Let your loved ones know so they can support you.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    dkozey wrote: »
    Toss it all. Anything considered a sweet, get rid of it. Don't make excuses to save them around the house. Make your household cut out sweets. And vow not to bring any back into the house. Substitute valentine gifts with non food presents and other holidays too. Let your loved ones know so they can support you.

Well, this is okay for weight loss. But weight loss is just step 1. Weight loss will not be forever (as maintenance should be). Will your loved ones support no sweets in the house forever?

Sooner or later most people need to manage sugar consumption. I know that zero birthday cake, zero trips for ice cream, zero Christmas cookies won't be forever for me. I'm managing sugar while losing weight. Sugar is not an "addiction" like drugs or alcohol. It's just something I like (too much).
  • bravesandorangemenfan
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    dkozey wrote: »

Well, this is okay for weight loss. But weight loss is just step 1. Weight loss will not be forever (as maintenance should be). Will your loved ones support no sweets in the house forever?

Sooner or later most people need to manage sugar consumption. I know that zero birthday cake, zero trips for ice cream, zero Christmas cookies won't be forever for me. I'm managing sugar while losing weight. Sugar is not an "addiction" like drugs or alcohol. It's just something I like (too much).

Oh yeah, the "addict" term was a total exaggeration. I don't mean to compare myself or my struggle with actual addictive substances. I don't have loved ones who support that choice. Then again they don't go to the extremes I have been known to do either. I live with family who won't give up their ice cream in the freezer. The whole keeping it all out of the house thing- can't really happen.
  • bravesandorangemenfan
    Options
    Add fat.

Can you expand on that?
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking sodas!
  • bravesandorangemenfan
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    What are you out of control with?

Dessert.
  • bravesandorangemenfan
    Options
    llbrixon wrote: »
    Stop drinking sodas!

That's good advice. I don't drink soda though, I hate sugary drinks. It's the dessert I can't get enough of...
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I am out of control with those little valentines conversation hearts... I gave up alcohol for the month of January and my body has been craving sugar. I hate to cut out some of my sugar too, so I completely feel where you're coming from. Good luck!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Reduce carbs and fruit so you can fit in more fat: butter, almonds, chia seeds, avocados, sausage, peanut butter, dark meat chicken, bacon, tofu, coconut oil.
    Butter and other fats can be more satisfying than sugar for some.
  • bravesandorangemenfan
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Reduce carbs and fruit so you can fit in more fat: butter, almonds, chia seeds, avocados, sausage, peanut butter, dark meat chicken, bacon, tofu, coconut oil.
    Butter and other fats can be more satisfying than sugar for some.

Thank you! That's very helpful. I'm a vegetarian but I can just eat imitation meat. What kinds of things do you put coconut oil in? Smoothies?

• bravesandorangemenfan
    Options
    I am out of control with those little valentines conversation hearts... I gave up alcohol for the month of January and my body has been craving sugar. I hate to cut out some of my sugar too, so I completely feel where you're coming from. Good luck!

It's hard for me any time of the year but that Valentines Day candy aisle is ridiculous! Good luck to you too!