Gaining weight when doing weight lifting

Options
Hi. I've been doing Insanity workout for 3 weeks now. My weight last Monday was 173.5 lbs but due to my knees being sore doing the Insanity workout I've decided to do the P90x shoulder and arms for 2 days, an hour each. I am using 10lbs and 5lbs dumbells while doing the P90x and now when I weigh in myself I am up to 177 lbs. So, that means I gained 3.5lbs. I don't understand because my diet didn't change at all and I know that muscles are heavier than fats but I did the weight lifting for 2 days. Is it possible that in a short period of time I can gain weight by doing weight lifting? Thanks!

Replies

• ashleypietz
    ashleypietz Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You may have gained a little weight and you could be retaining water. That can happen during weight training. Stick with it and see how you do next week. It should come off and boost your weight loss as well.
  • avenathus
    avenathus Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when I began weight lifting as well. I put on a few extra pounds in a few days because my muscles were retaining water. I guess this is common when you begin a new weight training program. Wait it out and you'll probably see those lbs drop away in a couple of days!
  • Jancaballero
    Options
    Yep muscles and water. Simple answer but sometimes not satisfying enough. Looks like you're doing great. Keep it up!
  • junebug523
    junebug523 Posts: 196
    Options
    If you are doing all that work, tracking your food intake, etc., don't worry about what the scale says! In fact, you might consider not weighing yourself for a few days (or maybe even a few weeks). Take your measurements. Drink plenty of water. Keep doing what you are doing. Make sure you are eating enough. Focus on how you feel, how you are improving, etc. Stay patient...weight lifting will not make you "gain weight" in the sense we are all afraid of...in fact, as you build muscle, you will eventually start slimming down...even if the scale isn't reflecting the kind of "progress" you want to see. The scale is just one way to track progress, and in my opinion it is not nearly as reliable as other things (i.e. measurements, how your clothes fit, how you feel). Good luck, and keep it up!
  • DarkMagicianGirl
    Options
    Do I have to just wait it out or how do I prevent retaining water from my body? For how long should I expect this to occur?
  • alteredimagination
    Options
    I agree with all the above statements! Water!! Your body is adjusting and muscles will retain the water. Just push through you will see it come off! :D

I have just started doing strength last week, and my weight went up. You begin to just feel when it is higher. With in a couple of days it comes off. When I work out the next day my weight is up... Just gotta be patient!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Do I have to just wait it out or how do I prevent retaining water from my body? For how long should I expect this to occur?

When I started strength training my muscles didn't release for 3 weeks. I haven't experienced it since and its been about 2 months now. Just stick it out. A lot of people get detered by it but its a very common.
  • jpanderson9
    jpanderson9 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me and I panicked! I immediately put on 6 lbs when I started working out 5 times a week. But sure enough, after a 2 weeks of getting used to the weight lifting my weight starting coming down. I'm not sure if it was water weight/hormone fluctuations or what but I was pretty unhappy about it and got discouraged, frustrated and upset. I feel much better, stronger and my posture is better though. I also have more energy and now the motivation to clean up my eating (no processed carbs).

Stick with it, don't get discouraged! :happy:

830575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Jancaballero
    Options
    If you're about to start your period (or are on it), then you will definitely keep retaining water. I never weigh myself while I am about to be on my period or am on it...

• DarkMagicianGirl
    Options
    Thanks for all the response. I feel much better now knowing that this is normal. I am actually thinking to stop weight lifting if it will cause me to gain weight because it's really a struggle just to lose even 1 lb. For me to see that I gained 3.5 in a short period of time I felt bad. Thank you again and I will continue to do my weight lifting cause I need to tone my arms. Have a nice day everyone.
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    during the TOM you can gain like 5lbs too
  • DarkMagicianGirl
    Options
    Thanks! I think I have to stay away from the weighing scales for a while. That's one of my obsessions, i weigh in myself everyday which is bad. The scales is only my indication if I am on the right track. Thanks for the good advice.
    If you are doing all that work, tracking your food intake, etc., don't worry about what the scale says! In fact, you might consider not weighing yourself for a few days (or maybe even a few weeks). Take your measurements. Drink plenty of water. Keep doing what you are doing. Make sure you are eating enough. Focus on how you feel, how you are improving, etc. Stay patient...weight lifting will not make you "gain weight" in the sense we are all afraid of...in fact, as you build muscle, you will eventually start slimming down...even if the scale isn't reflecting the kind of "progress" you want to see. The scale is just one way to track progress, and in my opinion it is not nearly as reliable as other things (i.e. measurements, how your clothes fit, how you feel). Good luck, and keep it up!
  • Jancaballero
    Options
    No, no...the less muscle the less efficient fat burn. You are doing great. Keep it up. Don't let those stupid numbers get to you...
    Thanks for all the response. I feel much better now knowing that this is normal. I am actually thinking to stop weight lifting if it will cause me to gain weight because it's really a struggle just to lose even 1 lb. For me to see that I gained 3.5 in a short period of time I felt bad. Thank you again and I will continue to do my weight lifting cause I need to tone my arms. Have a nice day everyone.
  • DarkMagicianGirl
    Options
    Thanks! I will continue the weight lifting. I now have to stop looking at the weighing scale everyday because at first that's my only indication if I am losing weight but there are other factors to consider as well.
    No, no...the less muscle the less efficient fat burn. You are doing great. Keep it up. Don't let those stupid numbers get to you...
  • DarkMagicianGirl
    Options
    That was my initial reaction, panicked! It's hard to lose weight so if I see my weight going up then I get frustrated. But now I know there are other factors to consider as well not just the weighing scale. Thanks for the encouraging words!
    The same thing happened to me and I panicked! I immediately put on 6 lbs when I started working out 5 times a week. But sure enough, after a 2 weeks of getting used to the weight lifting my weight starting coming down. I'm not sure if it was water weight/hormone fluctuations or what but I was pretty unhappy about it and got discouraged, frustrated and upset. I feel much better, stronger and my posture is better though. I also have more energy and now the motivation to clean up my eating (no processed carbs).

Stick with it, don't get discouraged! :happy:

830575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • DBabbit
    DBabbit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked, and I've read all the replies with interest! I've been wanting to add weights to my workouts, and since I'm just starting, I may just hold off for a little while longer. I'm going to be avoiding the scale for a couple of weeks when I do start! :laugh: I know I'll flip out if I see the weight I've lost start creeping back up.
  • Jancaballero
    Options
    Awesome! Yes, weight fluctuates everyday. Sometimes I'm 3 lbs heavier the next day or 3 lbs lighter! It's totally normal. So glad you are sticking with both strength training and cardio. xoxo
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will continue the weight lifting. I now have to stop looking at the weighing scale everyday because at first that's my only indication if I am losing weight but there are other factors to consider as well.

Measurements. Take them. The scale will lie to you because as you can see its doesn't know the difference from water weight, fat gain or muscle gain. The same goes for weight loss. You could be losing muscle and you are thinking you are losing fat. So take your measurements. Inches lost is fat melting away.
  • DarkMagicianGirl
    Options
    Good post. Thanks and I will definitely rely on the measuring tape for this journey not just the weighing scale.

Measurements. Take them. The scale will lie to you because as you can see its doesn't know the difference from water weight, fat gain or muscle gain. The same goes for weight loss. You could be losing muscle and you are thinking you are losing fat. So take your measurements. Inches lost is fat melting away.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've been doing Insanity workout for 3 weeks now. My weight last Monday was 173.5 lbs but due to my knees being sore doing the Insanity workout I've decided to do the P90x shoulder and arms for 2 days, an hour each. I am using 10lbs and 5lbs dumbells while doing the P90x and now when I weigh in myself I am up to 177 lbs. So, that means I gained 3.5lbs. I don't understand because my diet didn't change at all and I know that muscles are heavier than fats but I did the weight lifting for 2 days. Is it possible that in a short period of time I can gain weight by doing weight lifting? Thanks!

It happens. Before I hurt my back in March I weight 220 lbs and then I hurt my back which really really limited the amount of lower body weight lifting I could do. Between March and April my body weight dropped to 213 lbs. I started doing some lighter lower body work again about 4 weeks ago and I'm back up to 218 to 220lbs and it's not fat weight.