Protein recommendations

Options
I've found that I'm never hitting the amount of protein I need for my daily intake. Anyone got any suggestions? I'm up for things like shakes to help with workouts too but I'm completely clueless

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Suggestion: First try a protein bar to see if you can handle the taste of protein. Try walmart or target. Next to vitamins.
    Don't forget that a simple glass of milk and a boiled egg have protein.
  • secretgirl29
    secretgirl29 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I really like isagenix isoPro shakes. Taste good and lots of nutrients!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Just eat more protein. Do you eat meat? That does the trick. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein bars/shakes. You can also bake with protein powder and add it to your food (oats, ice cream, yogurt, etc).
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Just eat meat,eggs and other things that have lots of protien. Much cheaper and taste better than those shakes
  • huggiebunch
    huggiebunch Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really like the dannon light and fit Greek yogurt, 80 calories and 12-14 grams of protein with really good flavors! Also quest protein powder (amazon) has 100 calories and like 26 grams protein and I think only 1-2 grams sugar! Good luck :)
  • arditarose
    Options
    Fage 0% is 18g of protein for a 100 calorie serving. Sometimes I will eat up to 350 grams AND add protein powder. Macros are insane.
  • RedBeardBruce
    RedBeardBruce Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit fan of Quest Nutrition, both the bars (choc chip cookie dough and smores are the best!) and the shakes.
    Each bar is ~ 200 cal and 20g protein. Each shake is around 100 cal and 20 g protein per serving.

I also like Fage 0% - very creamy. Put some sweetner/splenda in it to make it yummy :)
    PB2 powder is great for adding to oatmeal, giving an extra 10g protein for ~100 cals.
    Eggs are great to make up protein and fat with an evening meal.

Just find some good protein sources that you like and try to eat at least one source with each meal. Make up the rest you need with snacks like yogurt or jerkey, etc. I try to spread out my protein to around 15-20g every meal which makes making my daily goal easier.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Seafood is packed with protein.
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Every couple days I will drink a protein shake. I forgot what it's called, but it's a powder that comes in one of those big gallon size containers that are advertised more toward men. My husband bought it and never used it so I started using it to keep me from getting so tired. I mix a 1/4 scoop with 1 cup of hemp milk.
  • arditarose
    edited January 2016
    Options
  • geoff2986
    geoff2986 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Frozen chicken breasts. A 10 oz breast has about 60 grams of protein, and almost no fat or carbs. I like to cook them on a george forman grill because it's quick and easy.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I like body fortress whey protein from Walmart :-) otherwise my other sources are egg whites, chicken, salmon, tuna, greek yogurt, steak, turkey burgers.
  • molepigeon
    molepigeon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I boil a load of eggs every sunday and keep them in the fridge at work. Try to get at least 2 a day in.
  • Amyskye123
    Amyskye123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi, I usually hit mine by eating an egg white Omelette In the morning with half a banana, things like wheyhey protein ice cream are really good shouts, u can buy them on Holland and Barrat and they have 20g protein per serving. Quest bars are pricey but brilliantly high in protein. Graze boxes (protein hit boxes) are 3.99 a week and they send out four high protein snacks weekly! Fage total 0% yogurt is also a great source of protein. You can even grab some weight watchers meals ! Lean whey by optimum nutrition , protein shakes ! 98 calories per serving and 20g of protein so you're winning with all of these things
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    In addition to the above: peas and broccoli have pretty good protein for a veg. Also legumes unless your trying to keep carbs low. Legumes are also loaded with fiber. Friendship makes an excellent no salt added cottage cheese if high protein, low calorie, low sodium, low fat is of interest and you're weary of meat/fish/egg whites.
  • foiensoi
    foiensoi Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have MyProtein Whey Isolate powder, I add 15-20g to 100-200g of0% Fage Greek Yoghurt and I get serious protein from it for about 160-200 cals! :)