Mom of 5 small children doing workout dvds at home.

Options
I am a mommy of 5 kiddos. Ages 11 down to 6 months. I am determined to not be the overweight tired Mom. I started doing prenatal pilates about half way through my last pregnancy, and a week after giving birth I started back with some dvds I had, trying to modify so I could do it. 2 wks post partum I started T25 dvds. I modified the jumping etc... and just did what I could. I have since completed all 3 rounds of T25, and now I'm doing 10 minute solutions dvds, 3 segments each time. This month I'm doing doubles. :-) I have lost over 20 lbs from pre-pregnancy weight, and I have gained soooo much muscle! I have done it all at home! I don't have to pay a babysitter, my kids get to see me creating healthy habits, (it benefits them too because I'm much happier! ) and I'm not the frumpy heavy mom with a million kids, that is saying, "well my body will never look good because I have had 5 babies ". I actually have abs! :-) Are there any other Mamma ' s out there with big families?

Replies

• dashe111
    dashe111 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! This is just what I needed! I have 4 kids and 2 step kids. Finding another big family momma is hard. Finding one who works out and has the same fitness goals..... Nearly impossible. My kids are 18-18months. Im curious how you do you workouts with out the kids getting in the way or joining in (my biggest issue). Please add me bc I could really use a friend with the same lifestyle as mine who gets it!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I have 4 living kids, and 1 angel.

Exercise is a priority for me too. Helps keep me sane!

Honestly, i started working out when my 3rd child turned 4 months (i had my first 3 in 3 years), *just* to be able to have mommy alone time. I would put them in daycare at the gym and go walk on the treadmill while reading! I learned to love going and have progressed to running half marathons a couple times a year.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have 5! My (new) husband and I each had 2 kids from previous marriages, then we were surpised with one together :)

So now we have:

14 yr old boy
    13 yr old boy/girl twins
    10 year old girl
    2 year old

I stay busy ;)

But I TOTALLY need some of your workout motivation!
  • weightlossmayhem
    weightlossmayhem Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have 5 kids ages 13-2 i am a sahm and home school 3 kids I finally decided to start taking care of myself and it has been hard to squeeze in the time but I haven't missed a day of exercise in 25 days. I workout while tge younger naps and the other kids eat lunch and play it gives me an hour. I also do a class 3 times a week before my husband goes to work and I walk with a friend I met in my aerobics class twice a week before dinners (those are slower cooker meal nights to save me time)
  • sxymom99
    sxymom99 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am so excited to see other fit mommy's! And with big families too! So encouraging!
    I do my first workout after I put my son on the bus, and before I wake up the others. The baby usually plays right by me. :-) This is why I can only do 30 minutes at a time. So I pick pretty intense workouts to get the most out of the time. Then in the afternoon when the others are done with school, (we homeschool ) and the 2 youngest nap, I squeeze in a second 30 minutes. I'm doing doubles this month to try to lose the last 10 lbs. I had my husband hide my scale all month so I won't obsess, and also push harder. lol. Silly I know, but my jeans are fitting so good! I'm excited! :-D
  • sxymom99
    Options
    Excersize is the best antidepressant for me! Lol My hubby even says I'm much nicer when I get my workout in during the day. :D He helps that happen any way he can. Lol
  • treehuggerheather
    Options
    I have 4 kids ages 11, 7, 4 and 18mos. I do dvds and i have a treadmill and elliptical i use at home. A gym was never practical for me, ao ive been working out at home since my first was about 18mos old.
  • whitneyyd33
    whitneyyd33 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Download the app "swork it" its free they have one for each section of your body and you chose your work out time anywhere from 5 minutes up. It tells you how many calories you burned as well
    They are amazing for home workouts
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I have four kids ranging in age from 1 year old to 6 years old. I started trying to lose weight when my baby was a month old and I'm down almost 80 pounds! I have a storage room in our basement that I call my work out room. I bring my laptop down and do fitness blender workouts on YouTube. :) I'm in the best shape of my life. I have just made exercise a priority and my kids are used to it. I usually work out during the baby's nap time and put on a tv show for the middle kids.
  • Yellowon02
    Yellowon02 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I only have 3
  • Yellowon02
    Options
    Bah! I wrote a whole thing. Why does it keep cutting my comments off?

Anyway. Yeah I workout at home. Not writing it all out again. Ha!
  • Amay33
    Amay33 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi 5 kids here too. Ages range from, 14 year old girl, 12 year old boy, 4 year old boy, two year old girl and my 9 month old girl.

They are what keep me going that's for sure. I do most of my stuff at home three days a week then on Tuesday/Wednesday I walk the upper tracker around the ice rink while my 4 year old does his can skate program.
  • calimom00
    calimom00 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have 3, ages 16, 6 (stepdaughter), and 2. My toddler (and my dogs) freaks out when I work out for some reason, so I sneak in a quick walk on the treadmill when he naps (if I'm not napping with him lol), or hit the gym with my husband while my oldest babysits. It's a huge challenge, as I struggle with depression, and I'm just starting, but I'm already feeling better!
  • sxymom99
    Options
    calimom00 wrote: »
    I have 3, ages 16, 6 (stepdaughter), and 2. My toddler (and my dogs) freaks out when I work out for some reason, so I sneak in a quick walk on the treadmill when he naps (if I'm not napping with him lol), or hit the gym with my husband while my oldest babysits. It's a huge challenge, as I struggle with depression, and I'm just starting, but I'm already feeling better!

Stick with it! The dogs and your toddler will adjust. Lol I was tripping all over my kids at first, it drove me nuts! But now they have learned to stay out of mommy's way or she might jump on you! Haha.. I fight with post partum depression bad! And exercise has really helped me not feel that way this time! (90% better anyway ) keep it up mamma! :smile:
  • Yellowon02
    Options
    I struggle with a few things including. ADD and depression. Working out regularly really helps!

And part of my deleted thought was I don't do videos. I use an interval timer or apps. ;)
  • sxymom99
    Options
    I struggle with a few things including. ADD and depression. Working out regularly really helps!

And part of my deleted thought was I don't do videos. I use an interval timer or apps. ;)

This app keeps losing everything I type too! So annoying! I would love to try some online workouts! But we live in the boonies, and have limited Internet. Sooo.. dvds are a life saver!
  • Yellowon02
    Options
    Any way you can get it done is awesome! I have insanity and a couple others I dust off now and then ;)
  • weeplin
    weeplin Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have 5 kids too. Ranging from 12 down to 14 months. I'm doing insanity at the moment, just at home. Usually when the youngest naps but sometimes I can't get anything done until they are in bed at night. I'm determined though!
  • sxymom99
    Options
    Yup! When you have lots of littles, you just got to get creative with time. It's worth it to be a more energetic, and happy Mom! :smiley:
  • Natalie2950
    Natalie2950 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have 5 too - 17,16,14,13 and 10 and work full time and in the last few months of my Master's dissertation. I still exercise at home but started with a personal trainer 2 weeks ago because I have done as much as I can on my own. I know it's tough trying to balance everything. It's just constant all the time and you grab every second you can but like some of the others here, my workouts keep me sane :)