16 minutes!

Options
So I'm working on the couch to 5k program. Last night I started week 4. When I looked at my schedule to see what week 4 entailed, I freaked out. During week 3, you jog a total of 9 minutes (which isn't really hard but isn't easy either). But week 4 jumps up to 16 minutes of jogging! I thought there's no way I can do this!

Well after the first 3 minutes of jogging, thinking about the next 5 minute jogging interval, I thought to myself, maybe I should repeat week 3 because I'm not comfortable running 16 minutes yet. But then I thought back to the first time I had to run 3 minutes, and thought, I need to at least attempt 5 minutes. If it gets too hard then I will drop it back down.

Jogging 5 minutes was hard, but I did it. I knew then that if I was able to make it thru the first set, then I could handle the second set of 3 & 5. Now granted the last couple of jogging minutes I thought I was going to die...but I thought about all the obese people on the biggest loser running on treadmills....and Jillian Michaels next to me screaming "ARE YOU A QUITTER?". So I wouldn't let myself give up, and before you knew it, I had jogged 16 minutes! That is the longest I have ever run in my life!

Needless to say, I am very proud of myself! And when it's time for the next workout, I may even try to go a little faster. Good luck to all those who are also doing this program! It is amazing!

Replies

• Fleur933
    Fleur933 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    congratulations!
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Wow I started week 4 on Wednesday and thought I was going to die! I went back to week 3 but I am going to attempt Week 4 again in the morning...Wish me luck!

Also Congrats on your NSV...
  • atisketataskets
    Options
    Way to push yourself .. I'm on week I, and I'm terrified of week II !!!

It sounds like you are doing great!
  • hwilliams519
    hwilliams519 Posts: 428
    Options
    Wow I started week 4 on Wednesday and thought I was going to die! I went back to week 3 but I am going to attempt Week 4 again in the morning...Wish me luck!

Also Congrats on your NSV...

Good luck! You can do more than you think! I a new to running and I did it!
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    Way to push yourself .. I'm on week I, and I'm terrified of week II !!!

It sounds like you are doing great!

Week 2 isn't bad at all. Don't be scared.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
    What kind of shows are you wearing during your run? I want to start this program but i have a pair of 2 year old shoes that are not not decent anymore.
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    Awesome!
    What kind of shows are you wearing during your run? I want to start this program but i have a pair of 2 year old shoes that are not not decent anymore.

Usually I go to the gymn at my apt. I usually like to listen to music, but have the tv on just for a visual. However, last night I did it without music and while watching Jerseylicious. Shame I know.

I need new running shoes too. Right now I just use what I have, but can hopefully afford a new pair the next time I get paid. I just started training for a 1/2 marathon and I know I need better shoes for that.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Way to push through!

Every program change looks a bit daunting, but I know that each progression stretches me and somehow, I'm able to push through (granted, I'm on week 2). At this point I can't fathom running for 10 minutes, but trust that when it's time for me to do that, I'll be able to. (Maybe just barely, and I might feel like I'm dying, but I'll be able to do it.)
  • mary127
    mary127 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Wow, 16 minutes!! That's great. I just finished W2 this morning and as I was jogging was thinking "How in the heck am I going to be able to jog 3 minutes when that interval comes up Monday? Yikes! Reading about everyone's experiences has motivated me, but I still worry about it :) Looking forward to surprising myself, lol.
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    Way to push through!

Every program change looks a bit daunting, but I know that each progression stretches me and somehow, I'm able to push through (granted, I'm on week 2). At this point I can't fathom running for 10 minutes, but trust that when it's time for me to do that, I'll be able to. (Maybe just barely, and I might feel like I'm dying, but I'll be able to do it.)

I thought about the 10 minute interval this morning. I can't imagine going that long. However, the ultimate goal is to run for 30 minutes or 3 miles. I'm glad that I am following a program, otherwise I probaby wouldn't have pushed myself to go that long.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Congrats, usually the mind gives up before the body ;)
  • RubyRed1999
    RubyRed1999 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    WTG! I am also doing week 4. I did pretty good on day 1 but on day 2 I didn't make it through the 2nd 3&5 min run. I'm going to give it another try this evening.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I loved this workout, I started it last October....It killed me at first but now I can jog for 40 min!!! because I am really short so 4 is jogging and 5 is running. lol I live on a Military base so my community/neighborhood center is about a 15 min walk, I walk there for a warm up usually "run" 2 miles and walk home for the cool down. Everyone around me is constantly running and looking so fantastic it helps that I just have sit in my back yard and see motivation every day!! Also at the beginning of the month I decided to do 30DS because a few of my friends tried it, and joined MFP. I have lost a total of 20 lbs since January, and 10lbs since I started my current workout. I also LOVE to cook, so making adjustment on my recipes to make them healthier has been fun I cant wait till I can make my own cook book with pics of all my meals under 500 calories :) GOOD LUCK ALL YOU C25K newbies :) and music helps!!!
  • redneckbettie
    redneckbettie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I started running about a ear ago and I know exactly the feeling you are talking about. It does get easier. Hang in there. As far as shoes goes, I have Nike Frees, I love them they are built so your feet can move as if yu were barefoot. I recommend goint ot your local sports store though, a lot of them do a free foot test where they actually have you run on treadmill and take it to see how you run and what would be best for you. The right shoes make all the difference. Especially if you still have some weight to lose and are not exactly "in form" while running.
  • Flwrsme
    Flwrsme Posts: 39
    Options
    WOW that is awesome and so encouraging. Ive been using the eliptical and briskly walking on the treadmill, but have yet to take it to the jogging spead. LOL... But i will try. Congrats on your accomplishment and keep up the great work. =)