30 minutes running every day?

Options
Hi.. i started running every day for 30 minutes . Is that good or i must mix it with other exercises? Thanks

Replies

• RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Is running for 30 minutes every day good? Yes and no. At a base level exercise introduces microscopic tears into muscle tissue. Rest is required to repair/rebuild the damaged tissue and make it stronger. Insufficient rest will likely lead to injury. That being said everyone's recovery time is different and varies based on diet, age etc... I can no longer heal as fast as I could when I was 20.

Additionally, running really only works three sets of muscles.... the glutes, the quads, and the calves (and their related muscles like hamstrings ) You'd be better served over time to add some variety to your workout routine and include some core exercises (planks, crunches, squats, lunges, etc). This will only serve to improve your overall health, injury resistance and make you a better runner.

Cheers,

• smis92103
    smis92103 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    depending on your goals and current status...
  • Yellowon02
    Yellowon02 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming steady state cardio?
    Depends entirely on your goals as mentioned.
  • William4MVP
    William4MVP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    mix some weight training in..being a cardio bunny is no fun after a while
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Bad if you just started running. You'll probably have soft tissue problems (tendons, ligaments, etc) - takes a while for your legs, etc to adjust to regular running.

If you already have a decent running base, you should be fine.

No idea if it meets your goals, since you've not said what those are.
  • habano1711
    habano1711 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank for your replies...my goal is to get ripped as i was 3 years ago at 78 kg.. i am 78 kg now but not ripped... i am in good condition but i want to be in perfect..but is bit mpre difficult now that im 32 than i was 22
  • rconcha439
    rconcha439 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been training for my first half marathon since mid November and the plan I've been following has me running a maximum of 4 times a week, one day of rest and 2 days of strength training. I thought I wasn't running enough but from what I can see, it's been working for me. I think what others are suggesting about mixing in some core work and strength training is a good idea.
  • Yellowon02
    Yellowon02 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    No. Don't run 30 minutes a day. Do sprints and lift heavy :)
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    habano1711 wrote: »
    Thank for your replies...my goal is to get ripped as i was 3 years ago at 78 kg.. i am 78 kg now but not ripped... i am in good condition but i want to be in perfect..but is bit mpre difficult now that im 32 than i was 22

The ripped look is a combination of decent muscle tone and low body fat.

If the goal is to get ripped, continue the cardio, but add strength & weight training. Think of the benefits of having more muscle to burn more calories.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Cardio alone won't make you ripped. You need to lift weights regularly and eat a careful diet with plenty of protein. If you enjoy the running keep doing it but maybe cut back to three or four times a week to allow your body some rest.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Definitely get into weight lifting as well.
  • William4MVP
    William4MVP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    running will not get you ripped. Sorry OP. Get into weight training if you want to be "ripped"
  • smis92103
    Options
    Yup, its all about lifting heavy and eating right.
  • smis92103
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Here is a article which breaks it down pretty nicely for you, I hope this helps!

https://www.myliporidex.com/blog/weight_training_versus_cardio/
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I ran for most of my life (40 years) but have now added in weights. Wish I'd discovered this stuff decades ago. I still do cardio but mix it up with weight days.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i6prtx446aes.jpg

Before/After - several years, 0 weights. Just mostly running, some biking and some swimming.

I see just as many overweight dudes in the weight room pressing heavy as I do skinny-fat runner people. Genetics and diet trumps all, of course.

Right now about 8 runs a week with SL 5x5 twice a week. Liking it but remains to be seen if there will be much of a performance gain this spring/summer.
  • habano1711
    habano1711 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    smis92103 wrote: »
    Here is a article which breaks it down pretty nicely for you, I hope this helps!

Really informative! Thanks... i will start weights as well! Thank you all
  • BhangraPrince
    BhangraPrince Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »
    i6prtx446aes.jpg

Before/After - several years, 0 weights. Just mostly running, some biking and some swimming.

I see just as many overweight dudes in the weight room pressing heavy as I do skinny-fat runner people. Genetics and diet trumps all, of course.

Right now about 8 runs a week with SL 5x5 twice a week. Liking it but remains to be seen if there will be much of a performance gain this spring/summer.

what was your weight in the left photo?
  • smis92103
    Options
    habano1711 wrote: »
    smis92103 wrote: »

Really informative! Thanks... i will start weights as well! Thank you all

Thats awesome! I am really excited for you!. Please let me know if you have any questions. You will definitely see big changes in just few months if you stick with it. Just remember that at the scale is not everything. I would recommend you find a weight lifting program to follow-especially at the beginning. There are amazing free resources online, thats how I started. Also-measuring body fat percentage instead of just relying on scale is extremely beneficial when lifting!

Good luck :)
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    what was your weight in the left photo?

195ish around? Right is 152-155. Not really sure - never did proper before/after pics unfortunately. Not slamming weight training - obviously it's a great option, but there seems to be this mentality that if you don't bench/squat/dead you'll atrophy into a skeleton.