Should I really eat that much protein?

Options
Sorry if there is an explanation to this somewhere, I couldn't see it.

This site says that out of my 1850 kcal a day I should get 20 % from protein, meaning 93 g of protein. When I read about intake of protein it says it should be about 0.8g per kg to maintain muscle mass. 93 g would be about 1.7 g of protein per kg for me.
I did read "A Beginner's Guide To Protein", it says that more than 1.4g/kg is if you do "strength activities". I want to start doing some strength exercises, but I will be starting slow and I am terribly weak atm, not sure if that affects what I need.

I am currently (for the first time) checking how much calories I eat in one day when I eat my normal foods. When I know what I eat too much and too little of it would be good to know if 93 g of protein really is what I should aim for.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It's a good place to start. There are dozens of different ratios flying around in different units but 93 grams for a woman isn't going to be excessive and is well over the RDI / minimum.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    This is taken from a Lyle Mcdonald:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/protein-intake-while-dieting-qa.html/
    So basically we have an intake continuum ranging from about 1.5 g/kg (0.68 g/lb) as a minimum for the obese non-training individual up to a high of around 3.3 g/kg (1.5 g/lb) of protein per pound of lean body mass for very lean heavily training athletes or bodybuilders with middle ground values being found in between those two extremes.

I wouldn't go below 1.5 g/kg (0.68 g/lb) if you are strength training.
  • ErikaAurelia
    ErikaAurelia Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thank you both so much for the answers! I guess 1.7g is not too bad then :) and thank you for the link!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1900 and I aim for 120g of protein... often end up with 130+ too. (I'm 135 pounds so 61.5 kilos). Protein is more filling!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    This site says that out of my 1850 kcal a day I should get 20 % from protein, meaning 93 g of protein. When I read about intake of protein it says it should be about 0.8g per kg to maintain muscle mass. 93 g would be about 1.7 g of protein per kg for me.

One reason for recommending 20% is that protein can be satiating and that's not going to be too much on a reduced calorie diet (or even a normal calorie diet if one doesn't do a huge amount of activity).

My understanding is that increased protein (beyond the RDA) can be helpful to maintain muscle mass when eating at a deficit and can help with athletic performance in general up to about .6-.85 g/lb of healthy body weight (it won't hurt to eat more than that, unless you have underlying health issues or go completely crazy with it, it just probably won't provide any benefit). So for me, I aim for about 95 g as a minimum (and don't worry about it if I go over).
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options
    Thank you both for the answers, due to what I've read elsewhere I always thought 50g of protein would be enough for me, now I'm not sure what I should get the rest from. Have to figure that out.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    It's 1.25 grams per KG of LEAN BODY MASS.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »

So basically we have an intake continuum ranging from about 1.5 g/kg (0.68 g/lb) as a minimum for the obese non-training individual up to a high of around 3.3 g/kg (1.5 g/lb) of protein per pound of lean body mass for very lean heavily training athletes or bodybuilders with middle ground values being found in between those two extremes.

Great link
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    A lot of people treat fat and protein as minimums without worrying about going over. (Carbs filling up the rest of their calories.)

I have seen 0.4 grams of fat per pound as a recommended number. You may have to do a little experimenting and see what what is most satisfying to you.
  • smis92103
    smis92103 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I eat min. of 160grams of protein per day per my 160 lbs of body weight. My goal is to build muscle, cut fat. Works great.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

It's worth noting that Lyle is speaking in terms of grams per pound of lean body mass, not total weight. This requires having at least a rough idea of your bodyfat percentage to do the math. For example, if you weigh 200 lbs. and are 20% bodyfat, your lean body mass (the other 80%) is (200 x 0.80) = 160 lbs. So if you were going to shoot for 0.8 g/lb LBM., which is a good middle-ground figure, it would be (160 x 0.8) = 128 g protein.

Making the distinction between bodyweight and LBM becomes increasingly significant for very obese individuals. For somebody who's 340 lbs., it's overkill to tell them to eat 272g protein every day (at 0.8g/lb.). Using the same calculations as above, let's say they're 47% bodyfat, which leaves them at 53% LBM. 340 x .53 = 180. So for 0.8g/lb. LBM, it would be (180 x 0.8) = 144g protein. A much more reasonable figure.
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options
    Thank you for the answers, I am considering buying protein powder since it seems easier than just shoving down more food to get to the right protein amount.

Is carbs or fat better if you want to build muscle?
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

It's worth noting that Lyle is speaking in terms of grams per pound of lean body mass, not total weight. This requires having at least a rough idea of your bodyfat percentage to do the math. For example, if you weigh 200 lbs. and are 20% bodyfat, your lean body mass (the other 80%) is (200 x 0.80) = 160 lbs. So if you were going to shoot for 0.68 g/lb LBM., it would be (160 x 0.68) = 108.8 g protein (round to 109).

Oh, I see. I have no idea what my bodyfat % is, I know I did a calculation online once, but I don't really trust those results. I am 55 kg and 168 cm. I do not have much musclemass (weak-*kitten* over here). I'm not sure how to accurately figure it out without spending money, haha.
  • AnvilHead
    Options

It's worth noting that Lyle is speaking in terms of grams per pound of lean body mass, not total weight. This requires having at least a rough idea of your bodyfat percentage to do the math. For example, if you weigh 200 lbs. and are 20% bodyfat, your lean body mass (the other 80%) is (200 x 0.80) = 160 lbs. So if you were going to shoot for 0.68 g/lb LBM., it would be (160 x 0.68) = 108.8 g protein (round to 109).

Oh, I see. I have no idea what my bodyfat % is, I know I did a calculation online once, but I don't really trust those results. I am 55 kg and 168 cm. I do not have much musclemass (weak-*kitten* over here). I'm not sure how to accurately figure it out without spending money, haha.

Sorry, I edited my post to include more information after you quoted it. For a very (very!) rough estimate of your bodyfat, you can compare against photos such as this:

xx2s2hk2ztus.jpg

So say, just for the sake of working an equation, that you estimate yourself at around 30% BF. 55kg = 121 lbs. (I'm going to work in pounds because it's easier for me, so pardon the conversion in advance). 30% bodyfat means you're 70% lean body mass, so 121 x 0.70 = 84.7 (round to 85 lbs.) lean body mass. Using a figure of 0.8g/lb. LBM, you'd want to hit a minimum of 68g protein per day. More than that certainly isn't going to hurt and could be beneficial. If you like eating protein and find it satiating, don't be afraid of going over that minimum.
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options
    Thank you for the picture and the explanation :) I have to run to work now, but I'd say I probably look mostly like the 20-22% one. I don't have any muscle-definition so it is a bit hard to compare to the lower ones. Oh well, gotta run
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    By the way - if your goal is to maintain what lean body mass you have, undereating by 800 calories a day (from your other thread) is going to be highly counterproductive.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I ate 200 gram of protein today and had moderate fats and just low low carbs and I feel great and full and good energy!
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options
    By the way - if your goal is to maintain what lean body mass you have, undereating by 800 calories a day (from your other thread) is going to be highly counterproductive.

I know that, that is why I am trying to fix the food part. I don't think I will start exercising before I get my food right.
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options
    I tried to eat differently yesterday. This time it reached 85 g, so only 8 g short. That gives about 1.55g protein/kg for me, and then I am counting on my actual weight and not lean body mass, so maybe that is fine?
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    I tried to eat differently yesterday. This time it reached 85 g, so only 8 g short. That gives about 1.55g protein/kg for me, and then I am counting on my actual weight and not lean body mass, so maybe that is fine?

It's not critical to hit your macros right on the nose and you'll drive yourself crazy trying. Close enough is close enough.