Four-Eyed Exercisers

Options
Hey all you lovely MFP-ers,

So, I'm getting Lasik done on July 12th, which I am pumped for, but in order to do this, I can not wear my contacts for a month. I've been in my glasses this week, and have struggled on how to keep working out. I'm blind as a baby fruit bat, so working out without them isn't really an option. Plus it makes me dizzy. I don't want to invest in anything like sports goggles(though I could totally rock those, haha) because I will not need them after Lasik, so it will be a waste!

My question is what do you four-eyed exercisers do? I'd looooove suggestions! Pre-glasses, I was running, walking, 30 Day Shredding, and BBL (like circuit training).

Thanks!!!!

Replies

• jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yep - cheapest solution is to get a strap for your glasses, its just for a little while anyways.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I take mine off for the 30 day shred, i didnt even think about running i am about to start couch to 5k soon.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I work out with them on- they slide sometimes but I just keep a towel near so if it gets too bad (i hope your not picuring that:sick:) I can sop up the sweat. (ok, now you are-sorry:noway:)
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    I wear glasses when I work out at home, but contacts for krav maga due to the impact. After my workouts, I wear my glasses in the shower to rinse them off - along with my heart rate monitor belt, and then make sure I wash my face especially where the glasses sit on my face to not have any sort of irritation.

Good luck, hang in there, get well soon!
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    i only wear my glasses when my eyes need a break from contacts, and sometime i go a week so if i am in a class i NEED my glasses, i have to take them off if i am doing pushups or or something facing down, otherwise i have to wear them, and yes they are sooooo annoying when i jump and they bounce on my nose, and the sweat makes them slippery. I HATE IT!
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I’m with you Andrea, I hate wearing my glasses while working out. I almost always wear my contacts, but if I couldn’t I’d probably try something that didn’t require me to see like the elliptical or treadmill (unless you REALLY get dizzy). If you don’t have access to a gym (or gym equipment) then I’d say walking or anything of moderate pace. The issue I usually have with my glasses is them falling off my sweaty face! Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Yep - cheapest solution is to get a strap for your glasses, its just for a little while anyways.

oh that is gonna be soooo cute lol
  • AimGal
    AimGal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I wear my glasses all the time (can't wear contacts, not a candidate for Lasik, can't see 2 feet in front of me without them)

I do a lot of cardio - mostly stationary bike and walking. I generally bring a towel and mop up as needed. It works fine for me, but I'm so used to wearing glasses all the time that I don't really even notice them.
  • beancurdie
    beancurdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Can you pop into your local eyeglass store and have them adjust your glasses? If your glasses are slipping or moving around on your face, then they probably need to be tightened. Most places don't even charge for adjustments.
  • andreamichelle82
    andreamichelle82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I'll see how much straps are (super sexy) and try running with a towel. They didn't bounce tooo much, but they kept sliding down when I got sweaty. I have a cheap/crappy ($10/month) gym membership, I'll try to use their less bouncy machines therre.

I wish I could just suck it up and go without them, and I tried to yesterday while running, but I seriously couldn't see a thing!!!:ohwell:

Thanks so much, guys!!! :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • andreamichelle82
    andreamichelle82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Can you pop into your local eyeglass store and have them adjust your glasses? If your glasses are slipping or moving around on your face, then they probably need to be tightened. Most places don't even charge for adjustments.

Good suggestion. I did this last week. The issue is that when I'm sweaty they slide off - they don't bounce toooooooo bad.
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    I have two pairs of glasses - one for working out and falling asleep in. I make sure they're pretty tight because they are bound to fall off when working out. I sweat a lot so shirt face swipes are frequent. I would just recommend getting your glasses tightened and keeping them clean. If it ever becomes too pesky, I take em off - I tend to concentrate on my body and performance more when I can't see.
  • MrsSki
    MrsSki Posts: 196
    Options
    How well do your glasses fit? I do almost everything in my glasses except run races, I put contacts in for races. But for other work outs, I just wear my glasses. Sometimes when I get sweaty they slide a bit, but I usually don't have a problem of them falling off, unless I'm hanging upside down for a prolonged, sweaty amount of time. If your glasses don't have a good fit, take them to your eye doctor, most places will fit glasses for free!
  • pixieval
    pixieval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Mine fall off while working out, I got a sweatband, totally unattractive, but keeps them from falling off my face! :)
  • sugarlovebug
    sugarlovebug Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I wear my glass all the time. Can't stand contacts and too scared of lasiks. I just keep a napkin in my hand when I walk, the wipe when needed.
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I wear mine and wipe the sweat if they are slipping off.
  • ghoztt
    ghoztt Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking the question and the answers. I think I might have to pick up one of those nerdy eyeglass bands for the days I don't wear my contacts and need to work out. I hate it when they slide down to the end of my nose!