Anyone on a low sodium diet? (Heart/blood pressure)

Options
KyleB65
KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
Has anyone out there been dealing with a low sodium diet to help manage blood pressure?

I was diagnosed earlier this week and I am adjusting my eating habits.

I would welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks!

Replies

• rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hey I have recently reduced my sodium levels to 1500g a day. I don't know if that's low enough but I would love ideas on low sodium foods so I can continue keeping sodium down I currently have hypertension.
  • cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My doctor wants me to come off my blood pressure medcine, so I'm going to start keeping a better look at my sodium intake.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Easiest way to avoid sodium is to stay away from processed food and the salt shaker.
    Cook for yourself to monitor how much salt you put in your food.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I don't have any issues with high blood pressure but I try to keep my sodium below 1500 mg most days. What I had to do was cut out most processed meats, frozen meals and can & box foods. I cook majority of my meals at home because anything you get from the restaurants will be full of sodium for the most part. I use Mrs. Dash seasonings, fresh herbs & bell peppers to season my meals. Mrs. Dash also has marinades but I think you have to order those from the website.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Im on meds for high blood pressure but keeping your sodium low is important for everyone's overall health and also in losing weight. So im always reading labels and keeping my intake as low as i can
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I don't do it for health reasons, but I try to keep my sodium below 1500 as well. If you look at my diary you can see how I do it. I buy low sodium or no sodium products when possible, avoid frozen and prepackaged food when possible, and eat lots of fruit.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    indeed *S*
    it is one of my main motivators for getting healthy.

i maintain a low sodium meal plan .. 1500mg sodium per day or less.
    i have found it really has made an amazing difference... and while i am still in BP meds, my blood pressure is now averaging 117/75 (all last year, on same meds, it was at 130/80)

my food diary is public if you would like to have a look *S*

stay away from processed and restaurant foods as much as possible. Especially things like canned soups, jarred salsa (as opposed to fresh) and deli meats, hot dogs, bottled salad dressing etc... the salt content in such things is horrendous!

feel free to send me a friend request if you like *S*
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't have any medical problems (other than being obese) but I have cut my sodium down to about 500 mg a day (I try to hit 500 stop once I hit that mark).

I use the TOPS manual and it says that the recommended amout is 500 mg a day.

Regardless of your sodium goal, I wanted to share a neat method that I figured out. When shopping I read the label and I don't buy food unless the sodium is about equal to or less than the calories.

I figured this out becuase my caloric goal is 1900 but I'm allowed 2500 in sodium So, when shopping, if I look at the sodium and it's about the same or less than the calories then I know when I consume it then I won't go over my sodium either. It really simplified things for me.

I wish you the best.

Eva
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm on BP meds and have been for most of my life due to a kidney problem, so I mainly have cooked meals with NO salt.
    And if I do end up eating a meal that is high in sodium, I up my water intake.
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    Yes, I have my sodium goal set at 1500 here due to having high blood pressure. Some foods naturally contain sodium but processed foods contain much higher amounts. My advice would be

1 - Mrs. Dash seasonings instead of salt
    2 - Look for lower sodium versions of foods you eat
    3 - Limit or cut out processed foods
    4 - Drink LOTS of water

Feel free to look at my diary :)
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I don't have any medical problems (other than being obese) but I have cut my sodium down to about 500 mg a day (I try to hit 500 stop once I hit that mark).

Regardless of your sodium goal, I wanted to share a neat method that I figured out. When shopping I read the label and I don't buy food unless the sodium is about equal to or less than the calories.

I figured this out becuase my caloric goal is 1900 but I'm allowed 2500 in sodium So, when shopping, if I look at the sodium and it's about the same or less than the calories then I know when I consume it then I won't go over my sodium either. It really simplified things for me.

I wish you the best.

Eva

Your calorie goal is 1900 but most days you barely break 700...I've even saw some below 500. I'm assuming you aren't logging everything you are eating. I wanted to see how you were keeping your sodium under 500 mg and still making your calorie goal unless you eat veggies & fruit all the time.
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yeah Ava I wanted to know that as well. I wouldn't advise eating less than 1200 calories a day. Eating so few calories is really dangerous for our bodies. We all wanna lose weight the healthiest and most sustainable way possible for this lifestyle change is permanent not temporary.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options

I wish you the best.

Eva

according to my Dr the MINIMUM a person needs per day is 500mg just for normal brain and chemical functioning in the body... even someone with high blood pressure is recommended to maintain a maximum of 1500 - 1800 per day, though certainly they can go lower, but not recommended at all to go below 500. one of the first things my Dr checked on with me when i told him i was reducing sodium was that i was not going below 500 on any days.

i am surprised tops is advocating lower.

hope the info helps *S*
  • strawberry1969
    strawberry1969 Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    i have kidney problems and only 1 kidney so i dont use salt when i cook and i dont have processed foods very often i was on bp meds but since ive changed my eating habits and now do exercise i am no longer on the meds
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I don't do it because of blood pressure or anything, but I try and keep my sodium under 1500mg a day. I eat pretty clean (I avoid processed foods most of the time). I never add salt to anything that I cook (I uses spices like Mrs. Dash with no sodium). When I grocery shop I try and stick with things from the outside aisles - fresh fruits & veggies, dairy, meats, eggs. If I buy something canned (black beans are usually the only canned food I get) I make sure that it is no sodium added, I eat low sodium chips if I eat chips, I avoid lunch meats they have TONS of sodium - for sandwiches I bake my own chicken ahead of time and cut it into thin slices. And low fat/no fat versions of things like cheeses usually have a lot more sodium than the regular versions so I use full fat (and still keep my fat under or at 20%). Hope those ideas help :)
  • Lance_K
    Lance_K Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sueboo31
    Sueboo31 Posts: 128
    Options
    You've already gotten tons of good advice. Basically don't pick up the salt shaker and stay away from processed foods. And read labels. It's shocking how much sodium is in everything we eat. Things I never suspected like my carton of eggwhites, bread, italian seasoning I used for salad dressing. It's crazy! I lowered mine to 1500 mg also and it's not to hard to manage that once you educate yourself with what's in the food you are eating. One more thing, I try not to eat out as much. Restaurant food has tons of sodium.