c25k - knee pain :-(

Options
I've just started on W2 of c25k and have started experiencing a great deal of pain in my right knee. Today I was literally limping around the office. I'm super bummed as I'm highly motivated right now and don't want this to derail me. I'm thinking of going to one of those running stores to get fitted for new running shoes. My hair dresser tonight also suggested maybe buying a knee brace. Has anyone else had this and what did you do to make it better?

I'm also new to this site and would love to grow my support network so feel free to friend me!

Replies

• cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    First off I would suggest you take a bit of time off from running until the pain goes away. And then yes, definitely get fitted. The proper shoes made all the difference for me running as a big girl.
  • chr1st1ineh
    Options
    I just started week 2 as well and am having pain in my leg right below my right knee. I've been trying to figure what to do because I don't want to stop running either. I was planning on getting fitted for shoes but, any other pointers would be great too!
  • westgre
    westgre Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Stretch, stretch, stretch.
    http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6099&PageNum=1
    And definitely get fitted for shoes. I also started wearing a knee strap, which helped a lot.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000F5R4RW
  • kabakken
    kabakken Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Definitely take a break - a week or two off. I know you don't want to do that (I didn't either when it happened to me) but I promise if you stop now and take a break to let your knee heal you're going to be better off. If you keep running you could injure it further to the point of needing to see a doc/have surgery/physical therapy. Just rest, ice your knee once or twice a day and take some ibuprofen to bring down swelling, and stretch. Then try again in a week or two and see how it feels. Good luck!
  • VendettaMachine84
    VendettaMachine84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just finished w2d1 and I'm having the same problem. It started last week. I already got fitted for shoes and wore them for the first time today, but the pain hasn't gotten any better. I really don't want to take a break, as I'm already seeing an improvement in my running. What should I do for cardio? Run through the pain? Walk? I really don't want to take a complete break....
  • NDBee
    NDBee Posts: 4
    Options
    I'd take the break if it's still continuing. Maybe try some swimming or other cardio to keep your level up but relieve the stress on your knee. Take a little break. If it keeps up, maybe a trip to the Dr. or even to the gym to analyze your running form may help prevent a more serious knee problem.