Sodium Sorrows, Protein Plight

Options
2»

Replies

• CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You can try No-Salt (potassium salt) but it tastes different and I suspect your SO won't like it. You may also try half and half sodium and potassium as new studies are suggesting its the balance between these two that matters.

You can slowly wean yourselves off salt, and you will find the natural flavours of the foods will shine through. Since I went low salt I prefer stronger flavoured vegetables and I am much freer with pepper and garlic. You may coax your SO by suggesting that a lower salt content will showcase the flavours of his meal.

Since he is a smoker, it is hard to convince him that he has put too much salt into something. When i cook, i try to put lime juice in things, and reduce the salt, and this seems to help, but salt is still a must... I will look into No Salt though, thank you!
  • faithsimmons526
    faithsimmons526 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You can try No-Salt (potassium salt) but it tastes different and I suspect your SO won't like it. You may also try half and half sodium and potassium as new studies are suggesting its the balance between these two that matters.

You can slowly wean yourselves off salt, and you will find the natural flavours of the foods will shine through. Since I went low salt I prefer stronger flavoured vegetables and I am much freer with pepper and garlic. You may coax your SO by suggesting that a lower salt content will showcase the flavours of his meal.

Oh yeah, that stuff does suck flavor-wise ... but perhaps blending the two would work. Personally, although I don't eat much in the way of processed food, my worst problems are still the cheese, pickles and tamari. My favorite foods. Gonna look for a low sodium version of tamari tho.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I get ENTIRELY too much sodium too. One day I logged over 6000mg. That's without adding any "outside" salt. I love olives, tomato soup, pickles, banana peppers..... Basically all things high in sodium :(

As for the protien, what about adding some greek yogurt with a tablespoon of chia seeds?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    I get ENTIRELY too much sodium too. One day I logged over 6000mg. That's without adding any "outside" salt. I love olives, tomato soup, pickles, banana peppers..... Basically all things high in sodium :(

As for the protien, what about adding some greek yogurt with a tablespoon of chia seeds?

Ditto lol. I was reading this thread while picking at the extra salt and taco seasoning at the bottom of my popcorn bowl...after having a really salty dinner :o
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Salt - If you're exercising and otherwise healthy I wouldn't stress it. Don't go crazy but if you're getting salt from adding it at home rather than eating pre-prepared foods you likely aren't overdoing it all that much anyway.

I find I'm overdoing it by quite a lot.

Then stop. I hate to make it so simple but it is. Plan your meals in advance and make sure you hit your protein targets and reduce your sodium intake. If you cook at home and pack your lunches then it's all within your control. And don't blame your partner. You're both adults. Make the changes you need to make for you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How are you counting your sodium intake? I seriously doubt that the salt your partner adds while cooking is the culprit. More likely it's various prepared/packaged foods.
  • scottish_laura_13
    scottish_laura_13 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    you could always make your meals separate? my hubby likes many meals I don't so he cooks say spag bol and makes 2 portions so he can eat the other half either at lunch the next day or for dinner another night, and I do my own low cal meal at the same time i.e. a stirfry so he can add all the salt he wants and I don't like to add any salt ever