HELP! Binge eating: I need someone to keep me accountable!

Options
iluv2jump221
iluv2jump221 Posts: 38 Member
edited January 2016 in Motivation and Support
Hi! So I have been struggling with binge eating at night for quite a while, and I have tried everything. I really need someone to keep me accountable and help me stay on track! I am a competitive equestrian (I ride horses), I model prom dresses, I have a bad knee problem, and IBS, so it is so incredibly important that I stay fit snd healthy, but since I eat so much at night, I am gaining weight and feel terrible. It is NOT emotional eating...I truly believe it has become habit. I am having so much trouble stopping, regardless of knowing the consequences. Please let me know if there is any way you can help me out! Maybe just send a message once a day around dinnertime to help me from bingeing. Maybe we could even start a whole thing on here where anyone who binge eats can find a MFP "buddy" to help them/eachother stay on track! Please let me know because I really really need help.

Replies

• iluv2jump221
    Options
    And I am definetly eating enough during the day so that's fine. Enough nutrients and protein and carbs and vitamins. So yeah.
  • davis4fun
    davis4fun Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just read ur post and I feel the same right now. I started gaining weight three years ago. Mostly because my Hisband and I have had a very busy social life since we moved. I used to be able to have a few drinks be social and really watch how I ate. Now I just cannot stop in the evenings. Tonight I am actually embarrassed. I sneak treats, yet who am I hiding from? I am actually not over weight yet, but I want to lose 15 lbs ASAP. I would love to be your support buddy!
  • graceful_
    graceful_ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've definitely struggled with binge eating in the past. You have to identify what is causing you to binge eat. There is a feeling you are trying to numb or subdue every time you binge eat. I would avoid dealing with challenging situations in my life and I would eat to keep me busy. Once you determine what your trigger is, you can work to move away from it and have a healthy relationship with food and with your body. Happy to chat more if you'd like. :)
  • channy_chantal
    channy_chantal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    if it's a habit, then pre-plan things for you to do at night....something physical would help you wind down and also sleep better, but if being kept awake doesn't affect the issue, find something to pass the time, I really enjoy colouring actually! Keeps me occupied, it's fun, makes me feel like a kid again, and I get really into it...or things like painting your nails, cleaning, making something...but plan it, that way you never have "nothing better to do than eat"....you can also start kicking the habit by switching out the foods you snack on currently for healthier options such as celery or carrots!!! :smile:
  • mattkdawson
    mattkdawson Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    what kind of things are you eating at night? I went through this recently where I CRAVED sugar at night. It was such a strong craving that I didn't think I could break it.

Recently, I've completely given up sugar for a while and I found that those cravings went away after about day 3 or 4. I feel like i'm getting back into my routine again.

Maybe just look at the things you are craving at night and force yourself to not eat that type of food for 3 days and see if it changes. (I know... easier said than done.. trust me i understand)

Try drinking water throughout the day. I've found that really helps when I get a hunger craving. Drink a bottle of water if you have a craving, and if you still have it 30 mins later, snack on something healthy. Try eating half and then putting it aside for a few mins
  • ddavenport63
    ddavenport63 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If ever i want to snack at night and i know im not hungry i just brush my teeth and use mouthwash, you never want to eat anything after brushing ur teeth .
  • Quaters
    Quaters Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Great tips everyone, yes i need more water, that is half my problem, i will try the teeth cleaning , in the middle of the night,
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Being bored and tired will drive most people to eat. This is me every afternoon, I'm tired...
  • iluv2jump221
    Options
    davis4fun wrote: »
    Hello! I just read ur post and I feel the same right now. I started gaining weight three years ago. Mostly because my Hisband and I have had a very busy social life since we moved. I used to be able to have a few drinks be social and really watch how I ate. Now I just cannot stop in the evenings. Tonight I am actually embarrassed. I sneak treats, yet who am I hiding from? I am actually not over weight yet, but I want to lose 15 lbs ASAP. I would love to be your support buddy!

Hi!! Okay! I can be your buddy too! Maybe i can send a message around dinner time like every day to check in and just say like "hi remember your goals!! Try not to binge today! Food is for fuel...not for comfort." or something to keep eachother inspired and on track!
  • hokey74
    hokey74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello - EAT IF YOU WANT TO EAT! I'm a binge eater! I will eat my evening meal and feel full then just a little while later I just want to eat - I'm not hungry But I just feel compelled to eat. What I have learned is this... Don't deny yourself because you'll go mad. It's too much of a mental battle to maintain. At some point you will give in and binge! So here is what to do... Fill you cupboard up with good healthy low calorie foods that will satisfy your binging needs! So if you really do need to binge you are still eating the right healthy foods. Dieting is not about eating less - you actually need to eat more to make you metabolism kick in to work hard. You just have to know what to eat! Eat loads of salads and vegetables and I mean loads!

Here's some of my binge meals... All low calories but still contain some good fats and nutrients.

Binge 1: Cup of chopped celery, 1 cup of chopped Apple, 12 chopped whole almonds. Water! Drink to help fill you tummy and digest your food.

Binge 2: Low fat yoghurt or a zero fat Greek yoghurt is better and watermelon - throw other fruit on top if you want to but I love yoghurt and watermelon can eat half - yes half a whole watermelon in one binge... But guess what? it's low calorie and full of water so it's okay!

Binge 3: Corn thins (2 slices 46 cals) topped with a thin spread of almond butter and fresh chopped strawberries or rasberries.

Binge top up... If I still crave something naughty I go for 2 squares of 90% dark chocolate - it's so rich that two squares is enough for me.

Try to eat as much as you can but keep the calories as low as possible - under 150 cals is good and this is not impossible. Just be prepared... Work it out in advance, have a plan.

• ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I am also binge eater ( two days ago I wrote post about what it was like to binge) u can add me if u like
  • iluv2jump221
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice!
  • iluv2jump221
    Options
    I am also binge eater ( two days ago I wrote post about what it was like to binge) u can add me if u like

Okay!
  • iluv2jump221
    Options
    Runngurl43 wrote: »
    Being bored and tired will drive most people to eat. This is me every afternoon, I'm tired...

Yeah i definetly need more sleep. I get 4-5 hours a night because of riding and homework and work.
  • iluv2jump221
    Options
    If ever i want to snack at night and i know im not hungry i just brush my teeth and use mouthwash, you never want to eat anything after brushing ur teeth .

Definetly going to try this tonight thanks!