Some General Questions I Need Some Answers To :)

Options
I am supposed to be trying out 1700 calories a day & I'm actually finding it hard to eat that many since I stick to a LOT of fruits and veggies as well as trying to drink 2L of water a day.

Some questions however:

Some people have told me to count fruits & veggies as calories while others have said they don't count (for various reasons) What are some opinions on this? ( I have been counting them)

Also:

Say I eat 1200 calories then work out and burn 800 do I need to eat more in order to fill my calorie count for the day?

Anything you guys can help with is greatly appreciated. I'm huge into my health kick however I don't quite have all of the specifics down yet..

THANK YOU :)

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Personally, I count the calories of everything I put in my mouth. Those that tell you fruits and veggies are "free calories" were probably on Weight Watchers at one point because that's what they tell you. It really is a personal decision.
  • millermichellelea
    Options
    You need protein too to build muscle if you are working out -- yes always eat your workout calories. :smile:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Anything you put in your body should be tracked. Fruits and veggies have calories so it's important to track them. If you eat 1200 then burn 800 you need to eat back some of those calories to increase your net calories closer to 1200 or you will put yourself in starvation mode. A good idea is to eat a small protein and carb balanced meal. If you don't have time for a meal immediately after then settle for a glass of chocolate milk. Nutritionist say to eat some good protein (eggs, chicken etc) within 30 minutes of working out.
  • tabbyjl
    tabbyjl Posts: 6
    Options
    Oh okay, thank you ! Ya there's so many "diets" out there (which I can't stand since they're only temporary & I'm in this for good) and with everyone basically following a different one it gets difficult. But ya I agree and I'll continue doing so. Thank you :)
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Count everything! Some fruits have a decent amount of sugar and carbs. Nuts, nut butters, protein shakes, yogurt, chicken, are all good ways to get in calories. Also, what are using to track your calories? Don't trust machines or the database on here, they tend to over estimate calories. You may not need to eat so much in the first place. I would recomend getting a Polar HRM, then you know for sure.
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yes and yes.

You should count your fruit and veggies, not only do they have calories, but they are important nutritionally (fiber, vitamins, etc.)

With regards to eating back calories your burn from exercise, this is a much debated topic on MFP and a lot of information/opinions can be found by searching the forums. I personally believe in eating your exercise calories back, as MFP has already calculated a deficit for you. Also, you want to be sure that the food you eat can provide the macronutrients and micronutrients that your body needs.
  • tabbyjl
    Options
    Oh really? Okay thank you! I just find it hard since I can eat all day yet not reach the calorie goal. Since starting out my calorie intake is supposed to increase however I'm not doing so well. I think I'm going to invest in some protein shakes since I find it hard to even snack after a big breakfast and work all day. Working out seems to make things harder for me haha
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I count EVERYTHING. Vitamins, gum, an asprin, EVERYTHING. So I would suggest counting your fruits and veggies.

As far as eating your exercise calories, that may be one the MOSt asked questions on this site and EVERYONE has an opinion.. My personal rule of thumb and suggestion to you is to eat 1/2 of those calories that you burn but overall listen to your body. I think I'm sometimes more hungry on those days. Sometimes not so I don't eat as much.

I wish you the best.

Eva
  • tabbyjl
    Options
    Thank you all :) I feel so clueless about it all but I'm trying haha. And as for counting calories I have a food diary that I write everything down in so I just look up the calories either on packaging or different apps I have on my ipod that tell me calorie amounts for like fruits and such.