plz help does anyone???

Options
does anyone have a day off like once a fortnight or once a month? really feel like i need something to look forward to n to keep me goin but im worried this will affect my weight loss wot r ur thoughts? x x

Replies

• cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    I try to take one night a month to not even WORRY about calories

I take 2 days off a week from working out - not because I "need" it, but I dedicate time to the kids and they are my "fun days" with them...

You do need something to look forward to, and if you are truly dedicated the rest of the time - you DESERVE it :)
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think probably ALL of us have a "cheat" day here and there. I find I can have a minor cheat once a week or a major one every couple of weeks and not really do any damage to the loss. Genuine weight loss (and not just daily fluctuations in loss due to water/sodium levels) occurs over the span of a week. So if you can stay close to your total cals for the week, there is no harm in using more on one day and less on another. This is harder to do when you're set to 1200 cals because you don't have much wiggle room to go under on any day, but can be done with gaining extra cals through exercise.
  • SunnyDispo619
    Options
    I let myself have one dinner each week where I don't worry about the calories, provided that I have been working out that week. That way I have some incentive to "earn" my meal, and I don't feel deprived of food b/c I know I'm eating out at least once that week. That works for me. Good luck!
  • millermichellelea
    Options
    This is a long journey and you need to enjoy it and learn to eat on it later. Take an occasion and let yourself have a cheat time - I do it once or twice a month.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've learned to eat what I want, when I want - no more cheat meals, cheat days, etc. I just work anything I want into my daily calories. I'm really good with serving sizes and portion control now - so I find that I like being able to have a little something extra whenever I want it vs having to wait for a certain day to indulge. :)
  • Indy_mom
    Indy_mom Posts: 15
    Options
    Ditto to the post below. I love chocolate, so if I have a piece of chocolate earlier in the day then I just know that I have to cut back on something else or work out a little longer.
    I've learned to eat what I want, when I want - no more cheat meals, cheat days, etc. I just work anything I want into my daily calories. I'm really good with serving sizes and portion control now - so I find that I like being able to have a little something extra whenever I want it vs having to wait for a certain day to indulge. :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I approach it mostly like chevy88girl - I eat pretty much the same foods as before but I've found some lighter substitues and have figure out portion control so my calories aren't out of control. Deprivation is a "diet" killer - if you try to cut all your favorites out, it's likely to lead to burn-out and you may give up - that's why this approach never worked for me (or a lot of other people I know).

I also usually have one day a week where I go over my calories by at least 500 (typically Sat or Sun) because things are going on and I can't plan. I try to eat light and get exercise in to compensate but if we have some high calorie take-out for dinner or the only choice during a road trip is a greasy hamburger, I'm bound to go over. Thing is, you HAVE to be committed to get back to track the next day. Don't let one cheat day or meal lead to a week long binge. Not always easy...
  • babycakeslucyloo
    Options
    aww thank u for all ur help i find it so hard to work out to earn xtra cals cause i have a young baby i try to go to zumba oncea week n swimmimg once a week n go for a good walk most days with the buggy but its hard as can only excersise wen partner is off work n then feel like after hes been at work all day i cant really say heres the baby i need to go gym lol not fair :-\ x x
  • amyyellis
    amyyellis Posts: 7
    Options
    The trick is to take time off your restricted diet, but not to gain any weight back.
    Personally, I can't take one day a week off, because it keeps me from loosing that week.
    Every few weeks I take an entire week off. I stock up on all my favorite healthy foods like berries, artichokes, and watermelon, and I get rid of any awful junk food that would make me gain weight. Then I eat as much as I want, and I usually don't gain any weight back that week, but I don't loose either.

Two summers ago I took a cruise. I ate enormous of food every day, including a daily caesar salad and fruit plate from room service. But I also went scuba diving and on walking tours, so ended up loosing two pounds that week!