How can I be OVER in my calories all the time if I'm always

Options

Replies

• Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    Options
    I'm not a huge veggi guy, but I am starting to eat carrots and broccoli like no ones business because they seem to keep my hunger at bay. (So basically I'm agreeing with everyone else I suppose)
  • CarrieSpringer
    Options
    Something else to consider is that if you were not exercising before and started a regular exercise routine, your body will need time to adjust to the changes before it starts letting go of the extra pounds. I agree with everyone else in eating food that are not "empty calories" which is what a lot of the sample you posted has in it. When you are limiting your calories, you need to go for quality. Also, alcohol racks up calories fast too, so maybe cut those out as well or have a glass of wine instead. Stick with it, and make one or two changes at a time. I think I read you have lost 3.5 pounds since June 1, and that is average about a pound or just over a week, and that is not bad. 1-2 per week is all you should lose to help keep it off.

Hope this helps.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Just want to confirm what almost everyone else has said....PROTEIN! You have to have all of the top three: Protein, Fiber and Water. They are what keep you full and help burn fat and build lean muscle.

The alcohol is full of carbs and sugar so you have to give the body something to burn...protein.

Switch out the breakfast with the carbs and sugar for a protein based meal. Protein and Veggies for Lunch and Dinner and maybe cut back on the coctails to just one a night then switch to water with lots of water in between your meals.

Small changes should produce some good results! Best of Luck!
  • jhawkins1988
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, make sure you eat healthier options. The healthier you eat, the more in quantity. Swap out the waffle for whole wheat toast and some fruit, and try adding veggies. I can eat a HUGE salad at lunch, and the lettuce is only like 50 calories. Then I top it with other veggies, a sprinkle of cheese, and some light dressing. Very filling and still low cal
  • cammons
    cammons Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Seriously....step away from the boxed food! It might be convienent but it doesn't give you anything but mostly empty calories. If you must insist on eating processed foods, try to make a shift toward lighter versions of the foods you are already eating and adding fruits and veggies.

As a general rule I try to eat foods with fewer than ten ingredients....fewer than five ingredients wold be even better... and shoot for ingredients that you can actually pronounce.

Your walking around, dancing and general moving about when you are out at night probably doesn't even come close to earning you back even a small fraction of the calories you're downing in those drinks. There is nothing wrong with having a few drinks and having a good time but you need to make sure that you are getting proper nutrition first...then by all means, drink away the excess calories if you must.
  • AKAnderson785
    Options
    Thank You for your help, I do know that I need to eat better. It is a little difficult living with two boys/men in their mid 20's; one who can eat a POUND of pasta and not gain an ounce and the other (my boyfriend) who is very built. Unforunately, the way his body takes in food is not anywhere near the way MY body takes in food...and he just doesn't seem to get it.

I'm always way under my Carbohydrate levels and way over on my Protein...and I just don't like seeing the RED, telling me I'm doing something wrong, I thought a lot of protein was good?? I eat protein bars, Triscuits have carbs yes but they are good in fiber too, so are apples, I usually have cocktail shrimp at some point during the day (just ran out), I use sugar-free syrup although my trainer told me eating foods that are deemed 'fat free' or 'sugar free' usually means they are high in something else that isn't good for you either so to steer clear of those things for the most part. I eat lean meats, I eat my vegetables, my weakness is cheese...I was born in Wisconsin, raised on cheese my whole life, I cannot give that up, but I have tried to subdue it slighly.

This morning I had 2 pieces of bacon, half a sausage patty, a very small amount of egg whites, and a half a piece of whole grain breadm a Special K Protein bar two hours later, 6 Triscuits two hours after that...we'll see how today goes.

To make matters worse we leave for vacation Tuesday morning for a week...Lord help me!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    More protein? It kind of looks like carbs, carbs, carbs to me, and that will keep you unsatisfied .

This is exactly what I was going to say.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Thank You for your help, I do know that I need to eat better. It is a little difficult living with two boys/men in their mid 20's; one who can eat a POUND of pasta and not gain an ounce and the other (my boyfriend) who is very built. Unforunately, the way his body takes in food is not anywhere near the way MY body takes in food...and he just doesn't seem to get it.

I'm always way under my Carbohydrate levels and way over on my Protein...and I just don't like seeing the RED, telling me I'm doing something wrong, I thought a lot of protein was good?? I eat protein bars, Triscuits have carbs yes but they are good in fiber too, so are apples, I usually have cocktail shrimp at some point during the day (just ran out), I use sugar-free syrup although my trainer told me eating foods that are deemed 'fat free' or 'sugar free' usually means they are high in something else that isn't good for you either so to steer clear of those things for the most part. I eat lean meats, I eat my vegetables, my weakness is cheese...I was born in Wisconsin, raised on cheese my whole life, I cannot give that up, but I have tried to subdue it slighly.

This morning I had 2 pieces of bacon, half a sausage patty, a very small amount of egg whites, and a half a piece of whole grain breadm a Special K Protein bar two hours later, 6 Triscuits two hours after that...we'll see how today goes.

To make matters worse we leave for vacation Tuesday morning for a week...Lord help me!

Change your macronutrient goals in the diary settings. MFP sets the Protein pretty low.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    MFP's daily protein intake is way too low. Try at least 80 grams a day. I know some people who eat over 200 grams a day, and I myself eat at least 100.

I totally know what you mean by not liking the red numbers though! But for protein and fiber, we have to ignore the reds.
  • sweetCJ
    sweetCJ Posts: 144
    Options
    I see alot of empty food in that 1 day menu and no veggies or fruits and almost no protein either. I think if you up your fruits & veggies (try to find at least 1 or 2 that you like), up your lean protein and lunch and dinner, you might see a difference. Keep you breakfast the way it is if it satifying for you. Good luck
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Water couldn't make you under or over on calories since it's calorie free. If you are hungry all the time maybe try eating more food less often.
  • Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    Options
    4 drinks is going to be 400 calories on its own more than likely..That's quite a bit when you are talking about 1600 total calorie intake for the day. I love my booz too, but sometimes you just have to say no thanks and eat just about anything else that would help you stay full.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    If you aren't adding your exercise calories burnt than your calculations won't be correct, dancing counts as calories burnt :)
  • AKAnderson785
    Options
    If anyone has a recommended grocery list, that would be FANTASTIC! Thank You all so much for your input, I can really see now that the processed foods and the drinks are not helping me toward my goal. And if it's not helping it's not worth it. :)
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options

Protein is good - natural protein. Protein bars not so much because they have so other crap in them - sugar, gmos, corn syrup - the list goes on and on. Triscuits have whole grain flour meaning they take anything wholesome, ground it down, removed nutrients and then enriched it because their processing removed anything good for you. Remember you are in charge of everything that goes into your body so saying "It's hard because there are other people, etc" isn't going to help you in this lifestyle change. Chances are they're eating crap too and could also benefit from cleaner eating.
  • AKAnderson785
    Options

Protein is good - natural protein. Protein bars not so much because they have so other crap in them - sugar, gmos, corn syrup - the list goes on and on. Triscuits have whole grain flour meaning they take anything wholesome, ground it down, removed nutrients and then enriched it because their processing removed anything good for you. Remember you are in charge of everything that goes into your body so saying "It's hard because there are other people, etc" isn't going to help you in this lifestyle change. Chances are they're eating crap too and could also benefit from cleaner eating.

I did not know that about Triscuits! Well dang, guess those will have to go too...I don't mean to make excuses, they just add to my frustration because they can eat whatever they want and it doesn't matter, lol. Meanwhile, I'm busting my behind at bootcamp every day and counting calories and they're splitting a pizza and a case of beer! lol.
  • WomanofWorth
    Options
    If anyone has a recommended grocery list, that would be FANTASTIC! Thank You all so much for your input, I can really see now that the processed foods and the drinks are not helping me toward my goal. And if it's not helping it's not worth it. :)

http://www.eatcleandiet.com/uploaded_files/downloads/ecd_grocery_list.pdf
    http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating/ She has terrific recipes

Hope this helps!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    agreed, I eat a lot but I usually only eat fruit and veggies.
    Amazing job on your weight loss btw!
    Eating less =/= eating healthier.
  • WomanofWorth
    Options
    It may seem that they can eat whatever but it will show up soon or later. High processed carbs contribute to high tricyclerides which figures into heart disease. You don't have to give up the triscuits completely but if you're eating them every day, try replacing them a few times a week with actual whole grains. - rice, millet, oatmeal, quinoa, etc. Play around a bit with grains, cook up some chicken breasts on the weekends and freeze a few so you can chop some up and toss it in a salad or omelet, etc. This is the time to get creative. You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

I spend maximum $150 a month for 2 people so about 6 months ago someone on MFP asked me how. I made a list of our favourites and since that time several people have messaged me for how I spend so little so here it is;

If others want to critique, feel free.

20 granny smith apples = $4 (.77 lb No Frills)
    3kg box of frozen chicken = $28 (Costco)
    Low-fat meatballs = $5 (No Frills)
    Frozen vegetables (2 kg) = $4 (Walmart)
    Tuna (11 cans) = $7 (Shoppers Drug Mart)
    20 red/green peppers = $8 (No Frills/Walmart always price matched to Chinese grocery stores which sell peppers for .40-60 regularly)
    Baby spinach bucket = $3 (Walmart)
    Cottage cheese (2 tubs) = $4 (No Frills)
    Fresh pineapple (2) = $3 (No Frills)
    Brown Minute rice = $5 (Walmart)
    Diet pepsi 7 x 12-pack cases = $21 (Shoppers Drug Mart - this is a sale price, the only time I'll buy - hubby's vice not mine)
    Whole wheat crackers (3) = $4.50 (Walmart or No Frills max $1.50 each)
    All-Bran or Fiber One (2) = $7 (Walmart)
    Cheerios = $3 (No Frills or Walmart or other cereal hubby will eat that’s on sale)
    Onions (bag) = $1 (No Frills)
    Celery = $1 (No Frills)
    Zucchini (4) = $2 (No Frills
    Garlic cloves (3) = $0.50
    Yogurt (16) = $4 (No Frills)
    Whole wheat pasta (1) = $1 (No Frills or Walmart)
    Pasta sauce (1) = $1 (No Frills)
    Canned beans (4) = $3 (Wamart, Great Value brand is always .78 great!)
    Whole-wheat bread (2) = $4 (No Frills)
    Soup (6) = $3 (No Frills or Walmart, I buy 10+ when it’s on sale for .49)
    Calorie wise salad dressing = $2
    Milk (4L): $4
    Bananas (10): $2
    Broccoli (7): $7 (Walmart)

That’s $141 so I often buy another $10 worth of additional vegetables, a little each week to prevent spoilage.

My protein powder is only $29 for 69 servings (5 lbs) so I didn’t add that in.

*My list changes monthly depending on the veggies and fruit on sale, I haven't bought meatballs since I made this list 6m ago either so there is some variety in meat but in the past 3 years I’ve only spent $90-170 a month since food shouldn’t be an investment , your house, family and possessions are.