Healthi(er) Buffalo Wings - Best Recipes You've Found?

Options
TheWidowJones
TheWidowJones Posts: 29 Member
edited January 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I have had a serious Buffalo Wing obsession for the last few months. So much so that I gained back about 10 lbs. Even more unfortunately the obsession has turned into an OMG put everything that even resembles fried chicken coated in sauce in my mouth NOW. Ahem. So, I've finally put a lid on the Buffalo Gal TGI Friday persona, and am on a quest for a spicy, zingy, lower calorie calorie chicken wing recipe. Show me what you've got! Please. My inner brat is trying to break loose and get to Buffalo Wild Wings.

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Take the skin off before making them to cut down on calories.
  • TheWidowJones
    TheWidowJones Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ok yes. But I'm looking for the whole deal. Crispy without frying, sauce without butter, etc. The same experience without the 82,000 guilt-laden calories.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Try oven baking instead of deep frying (about 200 degrees C for 20-30min should do the trick) and go for tomato based sauces.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I haven't found a "light" buffalo wing recipe I care for much (I'd rather just splurge on the real deal once or twice a year, Superbowl baby!). However, I find buffalo chicken soup an awesome substitute I can eat more often. This recipe is quite good and easy to make. It uses cauliflower to thicken rather than roux and cream, so it is naturally lower in fat and calories: http://fastpaleo.com/recipe/paleo-buffalo-chicken-soup/

ETA: I know you said you want the real deal, so do I, lol. But I like to share an unconventional alternative. Otherwise, my only suggestion is eat the ones you like, just make do with less, say 5 instead of 10 or whatever your number is.
  • echmain
    echmain Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Get BWW with their Buffalo dry seasoning. It's a spice, not a sauce.

I have 5 of these every Tuesday.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you ate 35,000 calories worth of buffalo wings...???
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I toss mine in a little flour and bake them. For sauce I just use Frank's Red Hot wing sauce...it's just vinegar and cayenne basically.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I toss mine in a little flour and bake them. For sauce I just use Frank's Red Hot wing sauce...it's just vinegar and cayenne basically.

franks red hot is pretty good....and it is like almost zero calories...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

n1Bu4Gi.gif?noredirect
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    This one looks good. Everything I've tried from this site has been good.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/03/lighter-buffalo-wings-6-pts.html
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It's not chicken but we've been trying several cauliflower buffalo recipes and they're pretty good. We had this last night.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/buffalo-cauliflower-with-blue-cheese-sauce.html
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

n1Bu4Gi.gif?noredirect

this ^^^

I love wings, I just don't eat them anymore.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I got an T-Fal Actifry for Christmas, and this looks to be the perfect food to prepare in it. This recipe looks worth the trouble.

http://jeanetteshealthyliving.com/crispy-unfried-chicken-wings/

Probably not the CHEAPEST recipe you will find, seeing as you will need a new piece of equipment, but they'd be crispy and tasty!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @WalkingAlong cauliflower has been clocked at $7 a head here in Canada. We need to find a replacement for cauliflower. Like maybe chicken or potatoes.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I'm trying this Crispy Baked Wing this weekend because we always broil, but I miss the super crispy fried skin. This one with baking powder and sitting for a few hours to dry out intrigues me.

I'm so not using her sauce (my husband is a sauce/seasoning master), but I have to see if they actually end up crispy.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Chicken wings baked in a hot oven until crispy (no added oil, those things have enough of their own fat), and Frank's Red Hot Buffalo. I don't know how Frank makes his almost calorie free sauce taste so buttery, but I'm glad he does.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @WalkingAlong cauliflower has been clocked at $7 a head here in Canada. We need to find a replacement for cauliflower. Like maybe chicken or potatoes.

LOL yes.
    Chicken wings baked in a hot oven until crispy (no added oil, those things have enough of their own fat), and Frank's Red Hot Buffalo. I don't know how Frank makes his almost calorie free sauce taste so buttery, but I'm glad he does.

I'd try that first.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    you ate 35,000 calories worth of buffalo wings...???

200.gif
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah, I ate 35,000 calories worth of buffalo wings!
    Crispy bone-in wings- 280 calories for 2 Wings. 1 bowl of 8 wings=1,120 calories
    Add blue cheese dressing (chunky blue, not that low-fat gunk!) - 150 calories per 2 tablespoons, and you KNOW you ate 6 tablespoons worth cuz those wings were SPICY! (But you'll pretend it was 2 when you record it.)

1,570 calories., And every day, man, every day, because WingStop is right there on the way home. 10,990 calories per week. Every day for a month? 40,000 calories of tasty wings!

Okay, so I didn't really do this. I had to give up chicken wings after my doctor insisted I go low-sodium. But it's very doable.