Rectal bleeding with weight loss

Options
Ok....so this is gonna be a graphic one, but has anyone experienced some rectal bleeding during their weight loss journey? My guess is its just due to the larger uptake of fiber and the more frequent, larger and denser stool I've been having, and *GROSS* having to push a big one through, but I have noticed bright red blood on my tissue paper after wiping several BMs in a row. Anyone else had this....should I be concerned?!

Replies

• 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It probably has to do with the increased fiber, just some rectal tearing, but i'd recomend checking in with a doctor just to be safe.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I would definitely at least call my doctor and ask about it. Blood down below is never good.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I would go see your doctor about this... Could be as simple as tears from straining or it could be something much worse. Better to check and know for sure! Good luck and take care!
  • 44isthenew29
    44isthenew29 Posts: 141
    Options
    Absolutely check with your doctor!
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i've had that problem before. it sounds painful but it's your rectum tearing, it's totally natural and nothing to be concerned about it heals quickly.

EDIT: if it's bright pink it's fresh it's most defiantly a tear. if it's dark then it's time to worry and call your doctor.
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    two words - Stool Softener.
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    talk to your doctor. since it is bright red, at least you know it is coming from the surface of your rectum and not internal bleeding, which if it were internal the blood would look almost black. your theory on the upped fiber and larger/denser BMs is probably right on, but still, check with your doc just to be sure.
  • 44isthenew29
    44isthenew29 Posts: 141
    Options
    i've had that problem before. it sounds painful but it's your rectum tearing, it's totally natural and nothing to be concerned about it heals quickly.

I still can't believe that this thread was even started. What one experiences may be completely different to someone else. My Dad had colon cancer and the last thing I would be doing is to ask strangers on the internet what I should do if I had blood in my stool/rectal bleeding.
    The best person to advise you is a physician.
  • TiffyBear415_xx
    Options
    I have the same problem. Its fissures..its just from the skin tearing.
  • jules_02
    jules_02 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Possibly hemorrhoids?? Sometimes when you increase fiber, not get enough fluids, and strain to push can cause/flare hemorrhoids. Of course, I agree with everyone to see your doc or atleast call.
  • hmiller2011
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? I had a real bad problem with this & once i joined this site & started drinking alot of water it wasn't so hard to go anymore!
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Could just be a fiber thing, try getting something to smooth things out.

However the most important thing anyone here has said about this subject is summarized below:
    "Your *kitten* is bleeding, call a doctor!"

Not in a week or so, but today. It could be something harmless that will fix itself, however it could become progressive without proper care. Google "anal fissure" if you need convincing.
  • TiffyBear415_xx
    Options
    two words - Stool Softener.

Yep thats what helps mine! lol
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Ok....so this is gonna be a graphic one, but has anyone experienced some rectal bleeding during their weight loss journey? My guess is its just due to the larger uptake of fiber and the more frequent, larger and denser stool I've been having, and *GROSS* having to push a big one through, but I have noticed bright red blood on my tissue paper after wiping several BMs in a row. Anyone else had this....should I be concerned?!

I've had this for years, a combination of a hemorrhoid and just things getting raw when I have too many bms in a day. It's almost certainly nothing, but I would schedule a visit with your gynecologist or family practitioner so they can have a look and you can ease your mind and establish a new "normal" so you know what is and isn't normal for you now.

Kris
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    you need to be examined. A lot of people ignore rectal bleeding because it's often hemorrhoids or anal fissures, but it absolutely can be something serious, even rectal cancer. I have diagnosed people with advanced disease that is untreatable for this reason. Please don't solicit medical advice on the internet. I would also discourage those who are saying it's nothing over the internet. What you don't know could cost someone his or her life.
  • ladybug2020
    ladybug2020 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Bright red is considered better than if it was dark...dark indicates something going on up inside you. The red your seeing esp if you had a big one is probably the result of straining and possibly little tearing and could even have caused a hemroid up inside. That can also cause you to have some problems over the next couple bm's with seeing blood. As long as it doesn't get worse you should be fine and it will go away. Keep your fiber up and drink plenty of water and things will go easily again for you.

Hope this helps.

Also, I have experienced this several times myself and I have talked to the doctor and thats what I was told. I don't worry anymore when it happens as long as its not day after day week after week thing. Which it hasn't been :smile:
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options

I still can't believe that this thread was even started. What one experiences may be completely different to someone else. My Dad had colon cancer and the last thing I would be doing is to ask strangers on the internet what I should do if I had blood in my stool/rectal bleeding.

I could not agree more. My dad is currently undergoing chemo for Stage IV colon cancer. If he had mentioned his bleeding to his doctor when it started, he might not be facing what he is today (an ultimately terminal diagnosis). Go to the doctor.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That is not normal. Drink plenty of water to keep things moving, but also see a doctor. If you've added whole wheat to your diet you could have a gluten allergy, or if you've increased nuts/seeds you could have diverticulitis. Both are serious diseases that require medical attention.
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options

it's not easy for some people to ask for help, at least she is reaching out and asking the question, and fortunately the most consistent response is "ask your doctor." there is no reason to make someone feel bad for asking the question.
  • goldenfemale
    goldenfemale Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with you, you just got a tear and maybe piles from forcing to get out what your not use to. Try to eat a banana a day or prunes to soften your stool. Also go to boots or a pharmacy and get germoloids cream / suppositories which will heal and take away any piles. Don't worry as it's bright red blood it's definitely surface bleeding not internal. My husband had the same thing.