Late night eating?

Options
Anyone else struggling with late night eating?

I feel like I can do good and eat really balanced all day and then a couple hours after dinner the cravings kick in and I can't help snacking. I'm too scared to log those calories, but realistically I know that I'm probably racking up 500+ calories after 9pm with all the picking I do around the kitchen. My splurge every evening is a glass of wine, but somehow I start pairing that with crackers and then feel like I need to top it off with a sweet!

Any tips for how to conquer my nighttime appetite?

Replies

• Jessica5000
    Options
    I can tell you some ideas but do I practice them all the time now. Last night I did the exact thing you are talking about, 1 babybel turned into 3, 1 100 Calorie mini bag of popcorn turned into 3. However, tonight when it kicks in I'm going to brush my teeth, take pooch for a walk, add lemon and ice to my water for a nicer beverage and chew gum. I gotta kick the late night eats too.
    Wish us luck :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I like to snack at night while using the computer, watching tv, etc. I account for this in my calories for the day. I KNOW I'll want to have some chips or whatever later in the evening, so I just make sure I leave room for it in my calories for that day.

Not logging it because you don't want to see the numbers is cheating yourself out of really understanding what you're consuming. Log it. Even if it sends you deep into the red - LOG IT. I log everything - good, bad and otherwise. Even if I'm 500 or more calories over -- I log it. Then I can go back later and see what I've done.

Also, if you work out -- it'll give you more calories to work with. If I feel like I've had a REALLY bad day, I'll go to the gym and run on the treadmill for awhile to give myself some room in my calories.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this a little too. I have been trying to keep my meals between 200-400 calories most of the time so I can have a little left for evening snacks.
  • newbeautifulme
    Options
    I struggle with this too. Yesterday was one of my best food days and I was so afraid I was going to mess it up with late eveing/night eating. Even though my brain was trying really hard to convince me I was hungry, I stayed strong so I didn't mess up my "perfect day". I even woke up in the middle of the night, tempted to get a snack and held out. Easier said then done though because this is the first time I have been able to do this! I have also tried eating later in the evening & finding more busy work to do in the evenings to keep me occupied.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese with fruit is a great sweet treat or add some nuts for something salty and it'll fill you up!
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I like to snack at night while using the computer, watching tv, etc. I account for this in my calories for the day. I KNOW I'll want to have some chips or whatever later in the evening, so I just make sure I leave room for it in my calories for that day.

Not logging it because you don't want to see the numbers is cheating yourself out of really understanding what you're consuming. Log it. Even if it sends you deep into the red - LOG IT. I log everything - good, bad and otherwise. Even if I'm 500 or more calories over -- I log it. Then I can go back later and see what I've done.

Also, if you work out -- it'll give you more calories to work with. If I feel like I've had a REALLY bad day, I'll go to the gym and run on the treadmill for awhile to give myself some room in my calories.

i log everything i put in my mouth! even my gum because it does have calories! i went to mcdonalds last night (i gave in to a craving) and went over my cals by over 500 and still logged it! this post has a point log everything!!!!!
  • Sweetlux
    Sweetlux Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem!!! Right when I walk through the door after work I want to snack! and then a couple hours later I sit down for dinner! I need someone to make me dinner right when I get home damnit! :)
  • LemonCitron
    LemonCitron Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't think I'll ever kick the night time snacking. After dinner I take the dogs for a walk and then when I get back I like to snack on a little something before bed.

My favorite, low cal snacks are air-popped popcorn (6 cups for 180 cals!) and watermelon really fills me up too. I've been eating A LOT of popcorn lately...

So make sure you log your snacks but just choose healthier. Then you won't feel so bad and you can still treat yourself sometimes too.
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I would definitely hope to avoid the snacking above anything, so i will be using your suggestions to keep myself busy in the evenings. If that doesnt work I will have to incorporate the snacks into my daily calories (and...eek...log them), but try to make the healthier choices!
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Never a truer word written! That sums it up beautifully because if you can't be honest in the virtual MFP world, then you really are going to be deluding yourself. If you delude yourself about what you eat then you really won't lose weight. Honesty is everything.