Fast food problem

Options
my fiancé and I have cut down on fast food to like two times a month. Now we just feel ahful after eating fast food. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to eat better than fast food? It happens when we are out driving for work, so won't be home for hours and can only afford coupon deals.

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the progress you've made so far!

You can always go for salads and soups as good fast food picks. Maybe a child-size portion of burger & fries?
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Stop by a grocery store & pick up food there. Grab fruit/veggie to eat raw and a sandwich or something. I've done this on my lunch break at work when I've forgotten to bring my usual bag lunch.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Don't cut out fast food. I've had it 4 times per week for weeks on in. Just make it fit your calorie goals. And believe it or not, eating out at a full serve restaurant isn't any better then fast food, if not worse. Keep eating that fast food op.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    If you must eat fastfood (assuming you're eating while driving), try getting grilled chicken. If you're able to eat once you get to work, try something like salads or soups. Or even something like Chipotle or Moe's can be healthy and filling if you get the right stuff. I'd say to stick with chicken, brown rice, and all the veggies/salsa you want.
  • stmokomoko
    stmokomoko Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Skip french fries. Skip condiments like mayo and ranch. Pick salads that have vinaigrette-like dressings, skip croutons, bacon, cheese add ons. Pick grilled chicken.

...unless you can somehow fit them into your daily calorie goals.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    stmokomoko wrote: »
    Skip french fries. Skip condiments like mayo and ranch. Pick salads that have vinaigrette-like dressings, skip croutons, bacon, cheese add ons. Pick grilled chicken.

...unless you can somehow fit them into your daily calorie goals.

For some people, unnecessary diet restrictions can lead to binge eating and/or otherwise wrecking their plan. There's no need to stop eating food you enjoy. It simply needs to fit within your calorie goal, and it's not an impossible "somehow"...

• JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    sounds like you're having digestion issues from it? If you're only eating it twice a month, it shouldn't be that big of a problem to find an alternative. Most grocery stores have salad bars & hot food counters with plenty of fresh food on them.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    If you know your going out and won't be home by the time you get hungry then pack some snacks. Have a meal prepped and ready to eat or nearly ready when you get home. Eat before you leave.

If you need to get a meal while out then yes, the grocery store option mentioned is easy and fun. Most all stores have a pre-cooked deli section.

Little modifications will go a long way later.
    As you get used to changing the things you eat, the options for finding healthier more nutrient dense foods while out and about will get easier.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I not only feel bad but the taste isn't what it used to be. I gave up any drinks with sweeteners including artificial diet ones. I gave up french fries and burgers too. If I am forced to eat fast food I think the best option for me is a chicken breast sandwich or a chicken wrap. I reject the combos even if the price is the same as without the fries. I feel better and I don't blow my calorie count. The other eating out problem I have is the nicer restaurants tend to offer a huge portion of whatever. I then will try to find the "light menu" or if that is not working a 6 oz. steak with mixed veggies (no potato) is a good option. You mentioned coupons, if you are on a budget I recommend packing a meal so you will be in total control of both funds and calories. It takes a little more effort but well worth it. It also makes a small snack available if you pack a meal, I like to have an apple or almonds for that.
  • space_case
    space_case Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Sounds like OP isn't want to eat the fast food because it makes her physically feel bad, not feel guilty. Lots of convenience stores and even drugstores have ready to eat stuff. My Walgreens and 7-11 has a section with fresh cut fruit, fresh salads and sandwiches, yogurts, cheese sticks, etc.