Diet% and Exercise %

Options
Experts say.,.. Diet 80% and Exercise 20%...I think that is what they say....anyway, how do you determine the percentages you are doing for each one?

Replies

• ooliviaansdell251
    Options
    I think it depends on the person, if you struggle with excessive exercise then watch more closely what it is you're eating. If you enjoy working out and have the motivation, it can be more lenient. Obviously this is just personal opinion :blush:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    As far as i'm concerned it should 100% for both.

Diet controls you weight, health, etc.
    Exercise controls body composition. health, and longevity, etc.

both are equally important.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    llbrixon wrote: »
    Experts say.,.. Diet 80% and Exercise 20%...I think that is what they say....anyway, how do you determine the percentages you are doing for each one?

There no absolute percents. The idea is, regarding weigh loss/control, the diet (amount of calories) has a substantially higher impact on weight vs the amount of exercise.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Percentages aren't real

It just means you lose weight by focusing on your intake and if you increase your out then you're on a winner

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I set my % to 78.3 & 21.7. Everyone has to find the ratio that works for them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

All this is saying is that weight loss is primarily about your diet, not your exercise. Exercise is important for your overall health and wellness and can make weight management easier because you increase your body's energy (calorie) requirements...but really, you can exercise all you want and if your diet isn't in order nothing is going to happen...you can't out exercise a bad diet.

Diet for weight management, exercise for fitness...as an example of what I mean, I do quite a bit of cycling...less in the winter, but on average I do around 80 miles or so per week...sometimes upwards of 100 or more depending. I also lift about 3x per week...I walk my dog regularly and I'm always out and about doing fun and active things with my two boys whenever I can.

I have lost weight, maintained weight, and gained weight doing all of that...the difference being my diet and how much I was eating, not my exercise.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    128.76% of statistical percentages are made up on the spot... usually to illustrate a point. B)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    If your building a house whats more important the roof or the floor? I think when you decide to start taking better care of your body a lot of different things need to be addressed. These things will be slightly different for us all but a good overall approach is a great start.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, diet is 100%. Exercise is great for just being able to do more, and possibly keeping your body in shape so you live longer (heart health, etc).
  • scottver2
    scottver2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    As far as i'm concerned it should 100% for both.

Diet controls you weight, health, etc.
    Exercise controls body composition. health, and longevity, etc.

both are equally important.

Yup! Diet affects gym performance and gym performance affects metabolism...it's a cycle that needs work on both ends
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

It's not about assigning a percentage - it's simply stressing the fact that diet is of primary importance. The saying which goes along with it is "You can't out-train a bad diet".
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Diet is measured in calories, and exercise in time (or steps). Apples and oranges.

If your goal is weight loss, it's going to come off by watching the calories. Exercise helps with overall fitness, but at most it has a tempering effect on calories (you get to burn a little more).

BUT...exercise is my favourite thing. These days the weight loss is the side-benefit, and the added energy and vitality I get from exercise is what puts the bounce in my step and the pink in my cheeks.

I think advisors talk about "80% is from diet" is to avoid the inevitable disappointment when someone starts a life-reforming regimen, suddenly going to the gym four days a week, and don't see the scale reflect all that hard work! Yes, you are getting benefits, but not the ones you were expecting.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    There is no real percentage break down, so don't rack your brain about getting so precise. Here's the thing and I will preface this as my opinion; diet dictates your results for everything. If you want to lose weight, you must be consuming calories at a reasonable and healthy deficit. If you want to gain weight then the opposite of that. If you want to run a marathon, your diet must be in-line to support such a stressor upon your body. You'll never see a 100kg Olympic Lifter break a PR or record while they're doing a juice fast, for example, they need to eat. In-short, eat in a manner that supports your goals; diet is paramount or you will not achieve the desired results. Is that's 55% more important, is it 60%, 70.123456% important, who knows but diet very much dictates your results.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I set my % to 78.3 & 21.7. Everyone has to find the ratio that works for them.

That is Freaking Hilarious...lol.....
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I'm going with 81% diet and 19% exercise...unless you live in the southern hemisphere, then those numbers should be flipped.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    weight loss is 100% calorie deficit, and body composition overall health is 100% exercise..

do the math ...
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure there is a hard set number... as mentioned the implication is that you spend more time on diet than exercise alone.

That being said, I try to get enough exercise to burn off my smallest meal of the day... every day. It seems to work well enough.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - who are these experts you speak of?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I heard the 80/20 split on a diet segment of my radio just this past week.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    70eor6jfud8k.jpg
    yep