What is your go to method when you are weak and wanting to over-eat?

Options
Just trying to see what other people do that helps them not to give in and fail-and than after feel so much worse.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance for the day if you are feeling peckish. Plan your day better tomorrow.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I plan out my meals in advance, in the morning when my willpower is strong. This helps me keep on track in general. If I realize I'm close to stress or boredom eating, I find something else to do to occupy my mind and hands - go for a walk or do some other exercise, play video games, go do something social, etc. I will also drink tea or coffee to help me satisfy a desire to put something in my mouth (I could probably find a much, much better way to phrase that... :o )
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The things that help me are to eat my 5 smaller meals, with plenty of protein and fat at each meal -- this way I'm not too hungry. Then I also try to exercise, because it helps me feel better. A phone call to a friend helps, and also checking in here and getting involved in a discussion helps. I also don't keep any food that triggers me in my house -- just easier that way for me (and fortunately no kids at home any more so no need for keeping snacks).
  • dwulet130
    dwulet130 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I go for a walk, usually dragging myself kicking and screaming.

It helps in 2 ways: it keeps me from eating for an hour, allowing the cravings to dissipate, and it burns calories so I'm allowed to eat more if I really want to.

Also, chew gum.
  • Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'll have something else as good as the thing I want. I really like pomegranades and I can change chocolate to pomegranades pretty easily since it is equally as good thing to eat for me. It's easier now that I don't have those serious cravings and binges. When I still had those I drank a lot of water on top of every meal to make myself feel so full and even slightly nauseous I simply couldn't take more food and didn't want more. And if I fail once a month by 1000-2000 calories... What's the big deal? I ate fine rest of the time and lost weight just fine. One big binge isn't going to revert all that loss permanently, continuing binging every day because of one "failure" will do that.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    When I am starving, it's usually because I didn't eat enough in the couple of days before. I try to avoid that by making sure I am eating close to my MFP calories every day. That being said, if I am hungry, I eat something healthy. You can't do too much damage with fruits and veggies or even a low-cal soup, and they are really filling! If I do make a mistake and eat too much in a day, I just let it go and move forward. Every time I eat is a new opportunity to make healthy choices. :)
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    IF I feel like I need a treat and am in danger of choosing something not healthy...and fruit won't cut it, I go to sugar free Godiva dark chocolate. I am sure it is not that healthy but it has prevented a lot of damage...Especially at the movies when everyone is munching on buttered pop corn and eating sweets. They are a little pricey so they really are a treat (but not as much as a bag of popcorn at the movies). I can't eat popcorn due to dental implants from an accident.

When I lived in the states, La Croix sparkling water with berries ....pretty to look at and healthy to drink.

Meal planning is excellent advice! Plan some treats too so you don't feel deprived.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I usually just have a handful of nuts and a big glass of water and that fills me up for a while.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I save up for big meals. Today, I am going out with my husband. We are going to have some drinks, chicken wings, etc... So I am just having some low calorie soup, coffee, and yogurt until the big dinner tonight. Going low during the day some days in order to indulge at night helps me feel like I am not dieting. I feel like I am cheating, but I'm actually not.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I used to feel worse for binging on something I shouldn't have or just completely going waaaay over on my allotted calories for the day. Not any more, I log it and move on to the next day.
    In the last two weeks, I binged one day on 10 Ghiradelli chocolate squares putting me almost 500 calories over. I've drank Beer, and eaten Girl Scout cookies. I've logged it all, still managed to stay within my weakly goals, lose 3 lbs and 1% body fat.
    If I deprive myself of something I really crave, I find myself cranky and more likely to really go overboard soon after.
    Log it and move on.........
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    If I feel like trying to resist, I'll have a big glass or water or a cup of hot tea.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Eat at maintenance for the day if you are feeling peckish. Plan your day better tomorrow.

+1. If I'm truly hungry, I eat. If it's purely hedonic hunger I make a mug of tea with stevia and almond milk. I find that if I'm hedonically hungry it means I need to focus more on self care so I curl up in my PJs with the tea and watch my favorite Netflix shows and color.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Looking at yourself in the mirror is always a good start. Then it's up to you on whether whatever you want to eat is wort it more than losing weight.

I'm assuming that by 'weak' you mean lacking willpower, and not feeling physically weak from hunger - then yeah, eat. Remember that your goal is 500 or 1000 under your maintenance calories, so if you go over a little bit, you can still keep a deficit anyway.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    eat at maintenance for the day

and drink some more water or a nice big cup of tea or both
  • cassieknights951
    cassieknights951 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If day time I go for a walk or at night time which is my worst I go to bed
    I've also sometimes cleaned my teeth because everything tastes awful after that !
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    As others have said here, eat at maintenance for that day. Choose lower calorie foods so that you can eat more, and go for a walk.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I make a cup of black tea with almond joy coffee creamer and splenda. Its 35 calories and delicious.

Then i try to occupy myself with something like crochet, tv, reading, take a bath, cleaning, tasks i have been putting off, etc..
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I felt like I wanted to binge earlier even though I wasn't hungry. So I picked up my laptop and my drawing tablet and I drew a cat. And now I'm also sporting a new profile pic, not to mention my urge to overeat is gone. :)

Distract yourself with something that keeps you focused.
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Only packing what I have planned to eat for breakfast/lunch/afternoon snack for that day alone really helps at work! I stay on track because I have no other options! I do keep some low calorie hard candy/lifesavers at my desk since that tends to help if I really need something "to keep my mouth busy".

At home and on weekends - I just keep reminding myself of my goals. Drink a cold glass of water. Start a movie. Go for a walk. Anything to occupy me!

• Anne_R91
    Anne_R91 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    As people said here, I'm really enjoying my tea's these days. (Have a lot of different herbal, rooibos and green tea).
    I also some days eat some things that are less healthy (like I'll have cheese on my sandwich at work, and I have 85% or + chocolate around the house :p), and still stay under the daily limit, so it doesnt feel like I'm depraving myself of everything I like.
    And distractions are good too, indeed. :)
    And what I saw mentioned here, I really like checking this forum, seeing all the convo's and other people struggling too, makes me feel motivated to keep at it. :)