Reversing diabetes

Options
2»

Replies

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Reversing diabetes may be a little bit of a misnomer. If you were diagnosed with diabetes, that means you will always have it because diabetes means that your body doesn't respond well (over a long length of time) to blood sugar. This has to do with your production of insulin and your response to it (the problem can stem from either of those two "prongs). If you are prediabetic (I am), where your A1C was higher than the norm and higher than what is acceptable with fasting BG higher than what it should be, then you can reverse this but you are still at risk of getting it.

If you have been diagnosed diabetic, your organ that produces insulin has been damaged or your body does not respond to the high levels anymore. If you go low carb and lose weight, the available blood sugars aren't there anymore for your body to respond to, so your diabetes come under control. Prediabetics will have the same effect if we go low carb. Your hormones come back into line and your insulin levels drop because it just isn't needed. To avoid being diagnosed as a diabetic, the carbs should be cut in moderation, and just eat well balanced. Losing weight helps both groups.

So in essence, you can't get rid of diabetes (the doctor was right, however badly his delivery was), I'd call it "just in remission". So if you gain weight again, the meds will come back and you will go back to being a full blown diabetic, and a pre-diabetic will become diabetic.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    fuelednfit wrote: »
    I was able to go off medication and bring my a1c as low as 4.9even off medication. To achieve this I lost 54lbs and completely changed my lifestyle my diet and activity levels. Please keep in mind your diabetes can always come back for various reasons. A new weight gain, change in activity or diet or even just aging. Changes in hormones including pregnancy. When I got pregnant I went from controlled diabetes without medication straight to insulin at night and before meals I was pretty discouraged because I thought I was cured. I was just under control but yes it's totally feasible.

I was told that diabetes is never "cured", it is just managed. Basically, diabetes means that your body is not handling blood glucose the way it should and that never goes away. You just have to learn how to give your body only what glucose it can handle, which is done by exercising, losing weight, and modifying your diet (or meds or insulin, depending on the actual needs of your body)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Diabetes can be controlled through diet, exercise and weight loss for many. Effectiveness does vary.

I lost 40lbs, which was about 27% of my body weight, and I still Am insulin resistant. My blood glucose is controlled through diet. If I eàt moderate carbs my blood glucose is high. I eat to my monitor and keep BG low so no meds are needed, but if I increase carbs so does my BG.

I found Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution to be a tremendously helpful dietary plan. Good luck.
  • CroneStar
    CroneStar Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »
    Reversing diabetes may be a little bit of a misnomer. If you were diagnosed with diabetes, that means you will always have it because diabetes means that your body doesn't respond well (over a long length of time) to blood sugar. This has to do with your production of insulin and your response to it (the problem can stem from either of those two "prongs). If you are prediabetic (I am), where your A1C was higher than the norm and higher than what is acceptable with fasting BG higher than what it should be, then you can reverse this but you are still at risk of getting it.

If you have been diagnosed diabetic, your organ that produces insulin has been damaged or your body does not respond to the high levels anymore. If you go low carb and lose weight, the available blood sugars aren't there anymore for your body to respond to, so your diabetes come under control. Prediabetics will have the same effect if we go low carb. Your hormones come back into line and your insulin levels drop because it just isn't needed. To avoid being diagnosed as a diabetic, the carbs should be cut in moderation, and just eat well balanced. Losing weight helps both groups.

So in essence, you can't get rid of diabetes (the doctor was right, however badly his delivery was), I'd call it "just in remission". So if you gain weight again, the meds will come back and you will go back to being a full blown diabetic, and a pre-diabetic will become diabetic.

Technically he has called it pre-diabetic so maybe there is still hope. But I don't know if pre-diabetic is just a fancy way of saying..mildly diabetic. But that's what he calls it. Pre

• CroneStar
    CroneStar Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    BTW, thanks for all the good information guys. It helps to hear real stories about how people are managing.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    CroneStar wrote: »

Technically he has called it pre-diabetic so maybe there is still hope. But I don't know if pre-diabetic is just a fancy way of saying..mildly diabetic. But that's what he calls it. Pre

Pre-diabetic means that your body is not handling glucose as well as it should, but you are not at the stage where damage can occur.

• dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    watch this...VERY eye-opening! These people were able to come off all insulin and all medications, and their A1Cs were below 6...technically "cured"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAwgdX5VxGc
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Pre-diabetic is just that, you're on the way.
    I worked with an endocrinologist for a few years, we had many type 2 patients who were controlled with diet and exercise. He would never say they were "cured" but the 4x a year appointments were often cut down to twice a year or once a year. Like everything else with weight loss, the changes you make now have to be permanent, or the weight and diabetes will creep back up on you. Good luck! You can do this! If your insurance will cover it, or you can afford the out of pocket, you can talk with a registered diabetic educator - they can help you with specific ways to get it under control if you find yourself having a hard time, as it sounds like your PCP may not be all that supportive.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone has been able to reverse their type 2 diabetes by losing weight?
    I'm not officially diabetic yet but my hgA1C is elevated. I'm trying very hard to lose weight so this doesn't go any higher. I went to see my doctor today for another issue and he keeps going on and on about the labs values. Meanwhile I'm trying to tell him I've lost 5 pounds since I saw him in December and I'm trying everything I can to improve those numbers. Finally he says, well even if you lose weight you'll probably still be diabetic. That just totally deflated me and I felt like just pigging out when I left there. I mean, according to him I'm doomed. It really makes me want to just give up. Has anyone had their A1C elevated and been able to bring it down with diet and exercise?

Hi
    I believe You can do it as others here have said.

I went from being .1 under being called diabetic to having a A1C in the Normal range with Diet and losing weight. I could see a significant difference shortly after starting the Diet.

Do not let that Doctor discourage You. I would think about is this the best doctor for me if I were You. A supportive doctor is very important.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • heather0renae
    heather0renae Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as prediabetic (and hypothyroid, PCOS with metabolic syndrome) somewhere around 13-15 years old. I started taking metformin and xenical (over the counter allie/ally or whatever now) for being prediabetic. I did high intensity interval exercise before knowing that's what it was. I cut carbs way down and ate more protein and fats.

I don't remember my exact lab values, I'm 28 years old now, but by age 18 or 19, I was allowed to stop taking my metformin. I had discontinued taking xenical about two years prior to that.

I lost around 20-25% of my original body weight and haven't had any labs that indicated I needed medication since. I do have to be careful to watch my weight- I tend to cycle up over a couple years, realise I've gained and am gaining, and then start working on eating healthier.

It is possible to at least slow down the progression from prediabetes to diabetes and not need to take medication, if not stop it altogether. I would definitely look for a more positive doctor or nurse practitioner to help you stay motivated and positive. :]
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I went from 6.5 to 5.9 in 3 months with weight loss, diet changes, and exercise. Now I'm around 5.4 after another 16months, -130 lbs and contained walking & exercise.
  • sky847
    sky847 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A few months before the end of the year I found out my Blood sugar was 118. My doctor said that under 100 is good, he doesn't say anything if between 100 - 110, talks to people if over 110 and your a diabetic at 130 or over. But the main thing he said is JUST lose weight. So I think your doctor is, well lets just say, not something... Just lose the weight as I need to also, Hopefully, you will get me motivated.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Pre-diabetic for a decade, and T2 diabetic controlled with Metformin for another decade. I am now officially in remission after losing a significant amount of weight. Also, diabetes is known to go in remission from RNY surgery, which I had eighteen months ago.

Thinking of yourself as a lifetime diabetic is not so bad. You will learn to control your food intake to minimise blood sugar spikes and lows. Consider yourself as having it, and choosing to control as much as you can through diet and weight loss.

I still turn my nose up at sugar-laden drinks. I don't turn my back on twenty years of diabetic training.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I was never officially diabetic, but I was quite close. I am also on a medication that tends to push people into diabetes--it's something I have to take a stay alive, so I don't really have any choice in the matter.

My A1C has been at 5.0 for several years. I eat a moderate-carb diet (75-100G/day) light on grains and processed foods. I eat a lot of vegetables and try to limit myself to 1-2 fruits/day. I try to get in 1-2 hours of exercise/day, generally an hour of something casual like walking and an hour of more intense workout, at least 6 days/week. I have maintained a 90-pounds loss.

It can be done.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone has been able to reverse their type 2 diabetes by losing weight?
    I'm not officially diabetic yet but my hgA1C is elevated. I'm trying very hard to lose weight so this doesn't go any higher. I went to see my doctor today for another issue and he keeps going on and on about the labs values. Meanwhile I'm trying to tell him I've lost 5 pounds since I saw him in December and I'm trying everything I can to improve those numbers. Finally he says, well even if you lose weight you'll probably still be diabetic. That just totally deflated me and I felt like just pigging out when I left there. I mean, according to him I'm doomed. It really makes me want to just give up. Has anyone had their A1C elevated and been able to bring it down with diet and exercise?

It can be reversed. I am pre-diabetic and my sugar levels have been MUCH better since cutting out carbs and sugar. I am on the keto diet, or low carb diet if you will. The reason for that is I am the type of person if I eat one chip I end up eating entire bag. I am so addicted to carbs and sugar, to me if I have any it feels like when you give an alcoholic his/her favorite drink, you can't stop yourself. It's a real addiction for me.

Once I get to my goal weight I might slowly re-introduce carbs but that won't be for awhile. My first goal is to get my sugars under control better and get off metformin.
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

beat diabetes ytube
    Mr. Reverend Pollack
    Dr. Berry
    Dr. Hampton
    Dr. Jason Fung
    Dr. Berg
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options

beat diabetes ytube
    Mr. Reverend Pollack
    Dr. Berry
    Dr. Hampton
    Dr. Jason Fung
    Dr. Berg

I get you're trying to share what you believe is good information about diabetes.... but these are very, very old threads that you are commenting on. You could make your own post if there I'd information you would like to share