Pain in the achilles area. How do I workout?

Options
I have been doing a lot of incline training and now my achilles tendon area feels really sore. It wasn't as bad at first but now its bothering me while walking at work. I don't want to cut out my cardio so how can I safely continue exercise while this is hurt? How long does the soreness of this area last? Is it a factor of overtraining? I also don't have access to a swimming pool so swimming is out the question

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Be VERY careful with the achillies. I am dealing with this as well and I'm hoping I don't have to stop training. If it comes to that, it is about 6 weeks minimum to recover.

Check out this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_rKrzArO8E
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    rest to recover from an injury is kind of important...

living a fitness centric lifestyle means that inevitably you're going to get injured...take care of the injury.

it's likely not so much an over-train injury as an over-use injury...doing the same exact thing repeatedly over and over and over again. this is one of the reasons people cross-train and also one of the reasons, as an example, people don't run hills every single day...they run hills, they run flats, they jog, they run, they go longer, they have a shorter day, etc.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Avoid uphill running, which puts more strain on the Achilles. Flat or downhill should be fine, but if you still get pain, don't work through it - do something else (cycling, strength training, walking, etc).
    jacki865 wrote: »
    Is it a factor of overtraining?

Usually it's a factor of having tight calves, which is usually from wearing footwear with a raised heel (= most shoes). Sitting too much can tighten thm too. Hourly stretching or wearing a night splint can help, as can switching to zero heel shoes for your everyday shoes (but not for running - keep a small heel for that). :+1:
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    jacki865 wrote: »
    I have been doing a lot of incline training and now my achilles tendon area feels really sore. It wasn't as bad at first but now its bothering me while walking at work. I don't want to cut out my cardio so how can I safely continue exercise while this is hurt? How long does the soreness of this area last? Is it a factor of overtraining? I also don't have access to a swimming pool so swimming is out the question

Cut out the inclines... they are very hard on the Achilles. Achilles injuries are injuries you don't mess with. I'm still paying the price for not listening to mine. I've had Achilles Tendonitis since it flared up Halloween night after doing a meager 10k (a short run by my standards... I usually run full and half marathons). I have not run in 3 months and it may be another month or so before I can even start to think about running again. I'm told its not uncommon for people to continue to have an issue up to 12 months post injury depending on severity. Are you listening? Don't do what I did and try to run thru it, if you don't deal with it now, you will deal with it later and later will be much worse.

When my Physio read me the riot act, she said that the Achilles is one of those injuries you absolutely need to rest. No stretching it, no stressing it... just rest. See a physio and find alternative forms of cardio until you don't feel any pain and can do 20-30 jumping jacks without pain.

Alternative cardio that my physio recommended to me was an exercise bike(but at a slow pace, with high tension). She also recommended focusing on core and upper body strength during the time away from running.

Put in perspective I would rather have broken my leg again. It didn't hurt as bad as the Achilles Tendonitis.

Good luck!

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Rest. Completely. If after a week or so there is no definite improvement, time for a dr appointment. You do not mess with a potential Achilles tendonitis, unless you are prepared for a loooong recovery.
  • arkham_ma
    arkham_ma Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had achilles pain for almost 2 years after climbing a steep hill on a hike.
    I stretched and worked on trying to loosen my calves, etc.

I did rest, but there's only so much of that you can do.

I've been pain free now for a few months, and all I've done was continue walking - taking it easy and making sure to stretch when the pain flared up.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My physiotherapist saw his promising running career cut short from an Achilles injury. He decided, mid-race, to "run through it". It took years of recovery and he will never run as well as he once did. I would say your Achilles tendon is inflamed now so you need icing and rest.

When recovered, you might look at your shoes, and extra stretches before and after runs to prevent further straining of your Achilles tendon.