Eating the same thing every day

Does anyone find it easier to eat the same things every day? For example for a week eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day and 2/3 dinners for the week? Or do you have to have a lot of variety?

Replies

• abertrand87
    abertrand87 Posts: 36 Member
    definitely! I always eat two fried eggs and one piece of toast for breakfast (280 calories), eggs are the only thing that keep me full so I stick with that.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    I would lose my mind by the 3rd day.
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    I do eat the same thing everyday, and love it! Lost 60 pounds so far and all my macros are met. I do not have to bother with too much kitchen work. My dinners are almost the same but changing the protein source, either chicken, fish, beef, eggs tofu, etc...
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 133 Member
    I know a LOT of people do this. They prep lunch and dinners for every night that week on Sunday but I just can't. I can't eat the same thing every day. I might eat yogurt every day for breakfast but thats about as routine as I get - and I even mix that up with flavors, toppings, etc, lol. I have lunch meals that I rotate and a huge list of dinners that I rotate. I "meal plan" in the sense that I plan what is for each meal at the beginning of each week but it is different each day!

I suppose it would be "easier" to eat the same stuff every day but I would lose my mind.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    As long as the diet contains a good variety of foods I can't see how it would be a problem. If not, I'd probably add a multivitamin.

If you change it up every week this is less likely to be a problem.
  • xXxWhitneyxXx
    xXxWhitneyxXx Posts: 119 Member
    I am guilty of this. Not every day but I will definitely eat the same thing 3 or 4x a week easily. My brunch is either cereal, eggs and bacon or waffles (without fail, one of those three and don't judge me! lol) I don't do lunch since I eat breakfast so late, dinner is ALMOST ALWAYS chicken, like 5 nights a week chicken. Its one of the only meats I care to eat. Usually with rice or potatoes and some sort of veggie or beans .... if it works for you, work it.
  • loginjmor
    loginjmor Posts: 4 Member
    It's a lot easier to eat the same thing. Meal planning is easier and you're less likely to cheat and grab fast food because it's easy. I eat the same thing every day except lunch and dinner. My lunch is last night's dinner leftovers, so I really only plan dinners each week and make enough for leftovers.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I am a variety queen. That being said, I do get comfort from the same breakfast many days in a row. Then suddenly I'm sick of it. I watch for signs of boredom then I change it up.

I also typically have last night's dinner for lunch. I might change it up by putting it with a salad or in a wrap.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited January 2016
    I eat the same things for months on end at times. It's balanced nutritionally so it's not a problem there... when I get tired, I just cycle in different things, rinse, repeat. It makes meal prepping much simpler, especially when I can buy in bulk from the discount grocer.

*ETA I could care less about taste or satisfaction (outside of satiety) ... food is pretty much just math to me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I could never do it but to each their own, lol. I plan my meals around what I want to eat... that way I'm more satisfied and less likely to try to find satisfaction in cookies or chocolate.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I don't do that and I don't even find the idea easier, I would get sooo bored, risk malnutrition... it's no more work to cook chicken one day and pork the next, than (reheat) chicken two days in a row. I have planned leftovers from Mondays on Wednesdays, that's all I can manage. I need freshly cooked food. However, I eat the same way most of the time, the same kinds of breakfast foods, lunch foods, rotation of dinners with either "protein+starch+veg" or "soup/casserole", supper (uk meaning) foods; three fruits and four vegetables every day, but rotating through them, according to season.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    The only meal that I repeat in a week would be breakfast: Egg white and cheese on a english muffin or 2 pkg of quaker instant peaches and cream oatmeal....and some fruit. The exception is if I have a lot of leftovers

If there are leftovers I will often eat these for the following lunch

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Yes and no...I love cooking and creating in the kitchen and I need variety...but it usually goes something like this...

I do eat eggs and oats pretty much every day for breakfast, but I mix up the way I do them...like yesterday I scrambled some eggs with some sauteed greens and had my oats with a tsp of soy sauce, some honey, and almonds.

Today I scrambled some eggs with some ginger, garlic, jalapeno, and green onion and used coconut oil 'cuz I was feeling "islandy"...I topped my oats with some soy sauce and kimchi and doused it with sriracha and garnished with green onion.

Lunches are often whatever was for dinner the night before. Dinner is where I get to be creative and the kitchen is where I unwind from my day...never leftovers and never the same thing during the same week.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    I tend to eat the same sort of thing, but make variations on it. like, I have a smoothie for breakfast every morning, but sometimes it's strawberry banana, sometimes mixed blueberries/raspberries/blackberries and banana, sometimes mango and banana, sometimes strawberry, mango and banana. I like making homemade oatmeal too because there's so many different toppings you can put on it. and dinners are generally vegetables, but different kinds depending what's on sale, or different sauces or seasonings to change up the flavour.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    I like to cook a lot on the weekend and then just bring leftovers to work. I do like to have variety for supper.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Yep, I pretty much eat the same foods day in and day out. I have 2 food choices for breakfast and I have a large salad for lunch or dinner or roasted vegetables vs stir fry. I may add chicken or ham a few times to mix things up. Also switch out my spices so it does not taste exactly the same each time.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Yes, but only because I cook just for me, and cooking a 1 serving meal is usually more of a pain unless we're talking a sandwich or something.

Currently, my fridge and freezer are filled with 4-5 different meals. I'll eat those in rotation until one type is gone and then I'll cook again.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    I do that with my breakfast. Save for the occasional breakfast out, I alternate between two breakfast options. Keeping my breakfasts consistent helps a lot with my diabetes. Because of all the fun stuff that occurs during the early-morning hours (Dawn Phenomenon, increased insulin resistance due to being sedentary for 9+ hours) breakfast is often one of my hardest meals to control BG-wise. By sticking to a consistent breakfast for the past year, I had ample time to experiment with how I need to approach taking my insulin for the meal, and that ends up helping to control the post-breakfast BG spike (which ultimately lets me tackle the rest of the day without feeling like pure crap from a high or low BG).

For lunch and dinner, I tend to stick to similar options. It might be something like grilled chicken/fish with varying vegetables, an egg and cottage cheese omelet with varying stuffing, or a salad with different toppings, but there is a lot more variety compared to breakfast (I'm not eating the same lunch/dinner every day for a year). I tend to be the most varied with my snacks, but I often use snacks as a way to meet macros that I might be struggling to meet from my 3 meals.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I eat the same lunch 4x a week. I will rotate whatever fruit is in season, but otherwise its a staple
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I eat the same things all the time. Maybe a different lunch on Monday and Friday, something different for dinner on Saturday. Doesn't bother me.