I dont eat enough calories even though i eat when im hungry

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Vetticus_3 wrote: »
    I just want to ask - and not necessarily just the OP - how can people eat 1200 cals and not climbing up the walls in hunger?

I measure everything, eat a higher proportion of protein and fats, drink a lot of water, but at 1200 cals I'm eyeing the couch as a potential food source. mmmm fibre.

I keep on seeing these posts - I can't eat all of my 1200 cals, I'm too full on 1200 cals - and I just don't believe it.

I have a sneaking suspicion that these people don't measure their food accurately... can anybody chip in on how to be full at such low calorie intake?

I always wonder this and also wonder how in the hell people became overweight and needing to diet if they simply can't bear to eat more than a handful of calories because they're just so full....

I basically chalk it up to they're either not accounting for things properly and are eating more than they think or they've got some kind of ED or at minimum, some majorly disordered thinking.
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am set at 1200 calories/day and am comfortable at 1200. Sure, I COULD eat more, like a slice of chocolate cake every night sounds great, but I'm not actually HUNGRY. I weight/measure everything except some prepackaged items like yogurt and applesauce cups. I eat breakfast at 10 - around 150 calories, lunch at 1230 - around 300 calories, afternoon snack at 330 - around 100 calories, dinner at 630- around 400 calories, and a dessert around 9 - usually 100-150 calories.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    H4N4H wrote: »
    I just want to ask - and not necessarily just the OP - how can people eat 1200 cals and not climbing up the walls in hunger?

I measure everything, eat a higher proportion of protein and fats, drink a lot of water, but at 1200 cals I'm eyeing the couch as a potential food source. mmmm fibre.

I keep on seeing these posts - I can't eat all of my 1200 cals, I'm too full on 1200 cals - and I just don't believe it.

I have a sneaking suspicion that these people don't measure their food accurately... can anybody chip in on how to be full at such low calorie intake?

I'm on 1220 cal a day, I have a food scale and properly use it. I measure everything I eat even down to weighing my eggs before I boil them. I weigh/measure everything and when I can't I use the higher cal options in the MFP database to ensure I'm not just picking it because it has the lowest calories because you can.

I can tell you that if you eat like *kitten* you will be hungry. I have completely cut out condiments like ketchup, mayo, and salad dressings. Sauces don't exist, if your food is dry you sip water or suck it up. Cheese, cheese doesn't exist except for the occasional half a sandwich and even then it's a slice of fake cheese by Kraft and it's more like a cheese flavored square for 45 cal. Dessert items are a no, chocolate say goodbye. Any broth based soup can be watered down, 1 cup of soup can usually have 1/2 cup of water added to it without it being flavored water with floating vegetables. Never drink calories. Soda no. Milk, juices, punch, sweetened teas, dolled up coffees are all bad ideas. Protein shakes make an exception because they can usually be part of a meal. Carbs, don't avoid them but don't abuse them, if you crave carbs make room now before craving becomes raging.

I have tried a 1200 cal diet with foods I love like icecream and pizza. You can't. The reason 1200 calorie diet don't work is you have to let go of old foods. My sweet tooth is gone. My grease tooth is too. Pizza is disgusting and whenever I do have it, it tastes like grease. Diet Coke used to be bland, now it's borderline making me sick from how sweet it tastes. I went from cream and sugar in my teas and coffee to black coffee and plain tea.

Carrots taste sweet to me now. I was a sugar addict and now carrots, a vegetable i used to hate, tastes like candy. My taste buds have changes drastically. As for people being stuffed on 1200 kcal, I also suspect they are bad at measuring and weighing and estimating.

I am never ever stuffed. I am never even full. I'm satiated. I'm satisfied until my next meal. I am usually hungry and hour before my next meal. I am usually hungry for breakfast when I wake up. Hunger=/=Starving though. It's okay to have an appetite for your next meal.

TLDR; What you eat matters, eat *kitten* you'll feel like *kitten*. Eat lots of quality food and you can get by.

That really just does not sound that pleasant...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My poor stomach has given up in despair when I was in a (medically supervised) VLCD. I was sluggish. No appetite. Especially no appetite for the restricted diet I was on. So I can see this happening.

1200 calories is a target, and if you are having trouble meeting that, have nuts and cheese on hand to eat at the end of the day to make your target.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    OP, and others...

Here is a great list of calorie dense foods that can be used to help close the gap if you are short on calories for the day. Regularly eating under your calorie target, especially if you are exercising, may not give you the desired results.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP, and others...

Here is a great list of calorie dense foods that can be used to help close the gap if you are short on calories for the day. Regularly eating under your calorie target, especially if you are exercising, may not give you the desired results.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

OP - first things first - are you using a food scale? If not, you are probably eating more than you think. Are you losing weight? If not, then you are probably eating more than you think.

If you are weighing your food and losing weight faster than you should be, then see the quoted post.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, and others...

OP - first things first - are you using a food scale? If not, you are probably eating more than you think. Are you losing weight? If not, then you are probably eating more than you think.

If you are weighing your food and losing weight faster than you should be, then see the quoted post.

Good point. I was thinking of another poster that commented already about using a food scale - so yes, the first step would be to make sure that you aren't already eating more than you think, and if you are still short, then yes, use this list. Thanks for the catch!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, and others...

Good point. I was thinking of another poster that commented already about using a food scale - so yes, the first step would be to make sure that you aren't already eating more than you think, and if you are still short, then yes, use this list. Thanks for the catch!

I know the one you are thinking of. It's weird how some days seem to have themes :smirk:
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options

I'm on 1220 cal a day, I have a food scale and properly use it. I measure everything I eat even down to weighing my eggs before I boil them. I weigh/measure everything and when I can't I use the higher cal options in the MFP database to ensure I'm not just picking it because it has the lowest calories because you can.

I can tell you that if you eat like *kitten* you will be hungry. I have completely cut out condiments like ketchup, mayo, and salad dressings. Sauces don't exist, if your food is dry you sip water or suck it up. Cheese, cheese doesn't exist except for the occasional half a sandwich and even then it's a slice of fake cheese by Kraft and it's more like a cheese flavored square for 45 cal. Dessert items are a no, chocolate say goodbye. Any broth based soup can be watered down, 1 cup of soup can usually have 1/2 cup of water added to it without it being flavored water with floating vegetables. Never drink calories. Soda no. Milk, juices, punch, sweetened teas, dolled up coffees are all bad ideas. Protein shakes make an exception because they can usually be part of a meal. Carbs, don't avoid them but don't abuse them, if you crave carbs make room now before craving becomes raging.

I have tried a 1200 cal diet with foods I love like icecream and pizza. You can't. The reason 1200 calorie diet don't work is you have to let go of old foods. My sweet tooth is gone. My grease tooth is too. Pizza is disgusting and whenever I do have it, it tastes like grease. Diet Coke used to be bland, now it's borderline making me sick from how sweet it tastes. I went from cream and sugar in my teas and coffee to black coffee and plain tea.

Carrots taste sweet to me now. I was a sugar addict and now carrots, a vegetable i used to hate, tastes like candy. My taste buds have changes drastically. As for people being stuffed on 1200 kcal, I also suspect they are bad at measuring and weighing and estimating.

I am never ever stuffed. I am never even full. I'm satiated. I'm satisfied until my next meal. I am usually hungry and hour before my next meal. I am usually hungry for breakfast when I wake up. Hunger=/=Starving though. It's okay to have an appetite for your next meal.

TLDR; What you eat matters, eat *kitten* you'll feel like *kitten*. Eat lots of quality food and you can get by.

Yeah it's not pleasant.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

There are plenty of foods that are high calorie, but not very satiating. I can eat a handful of potato chips or M&Ms and want another handful real quick. My regain wasn't from eating impressive amounts at meals. In fact when stressed/depressed I don't take the time to make real meals...just shove a hand in a bag or box of whatever is appealing at the moment.

A handful of broccoli? Chicken? Almonds? Personally not looking for more within 20 minutes, more like an hour+. I expect sweetened beverages plays into it too, though personally I gave those up quite awhile back.

To stay full at a lower intake - start eating later in the day because once your stomach wakes up it tends to poke at you every few hours, and eat foods that are high in protein, have some fat, and foods that are less calorie dense like fruits and vegetables.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Yeah it's not pleasant.

Then why? Losing weight does not have to be miserable. How much do you have to lose? What are your stats and activity level? You may be able to lose eating more than 1200 calories.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    OP, depending on your height, weight, age, activity, and goals, 1200 may not be a bad thing. If your goals are realistic, make sure you're accurately measuring your food. If you are, you can always add calorie-dense foods as @WinoGelato suggested.

For me, I use keto and IF. As long as I don't eat grains or potatoes and keep my carbs below 50g, I don't get serious hunger signals. For me, carbs=hunger. Additionally, using Intermittent Fasting keeps me in check. If I keep to my 12-7p eating time frame, then I'm not hungry the rest of the time. If I start eating outside of it for more than a few days, I'll eat more than my allotment. While one of those is helpful, together they pretty much guarantee I'll be on target and without hunger.
  • BoaRestrictor
    Options

Yeah it's not pleasant.

Then why? Losing weight does not have to be miserable. How much do you have to lose? What are your stats and activity level? You may be able to lose eating more than 1200 calories.

I like the fast results?
  • xXxWhitneyxXx
    xXxWhitneyxXx Posts: 119 Member
    Options

100% Unpleasant. Unless you're planning on living the rest of your life this way, never eating sugar and being on 1200 calories forever, which doesn't seem realistic. I mean I wouldn't be able to have a piece of my kids birthday cake, or take them to enjoy and ice cream cone or eat a slice of wedding cake at a wedding. I wouldn't be happy. And let someone try to take my end of the day brownie or cookie from me. I'll slap the soul out of somebody.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Yeah it's not pleasant.

I like the fast results?

Going to extremes such as drastic calorie reductions, cutting out foods that you love, talking about living in a state of perpetual hunger - for what? Reaching your goal in 3 months instead of 6 months? 6 months instead of a year?

It's supposed to be a lifestyle change. You're never going to eat pizza or chocolate for the rest of your life? I'd rather take a slower approach and learn sustainable habits personally.

I lost 30 lbs and never ate below 1500 cals. I never gave up wine, chocolate, ice cream or pizza. I'm maintaining now and I can honestly say that I never dealt with this "am I really starving or can I just get by a bit longer" feeling that you're describing, and I never once described the food I was eating as "not pleasant".

• BoaRestrictor
    Options

100% Unpleasant. Unless you're planning on living the rest of your life this way, never eating sugar and being on 1200 calories forever, which doesn't seem realistic. I mean I wouldn't be able to have a piece of my kids birthday cake, or take them to enjoy and ice cream cone or eat a slice of wedding cake at a wedding. I wouldn't be happy. And let someone try to take my end of the day brownie or cookie from me. I'll slap the soul out of somebody.

Or...hear me out, some people....when they stop eating 1200 calories a day...they do this thing where they slowly reintroduce foods they enjoyed back into their diet. You think when I'm in maintenance I'm gonna water down my soup? Or say no to sauces?
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I always wonder this and also wonder how in the hell people became overweight and needing to diet if they simply can't bear to eat more than a handful of calories because they're just so full....

I basically chalk it up to they're either not accounting for things properly and are eating more than they think or they've got some kind of ED or at minimum, some majorly disordered thinking.

I gained weight by living on bagels, Hamburger Helper, ice cream, cheese fries, and lots of beer (at least three per day; as many as 12 on weekends). Had a hellacious gummy bear craving while I was pregnant with my oldest daughter; pregnancy + gummy bears = 70lbs weight gain when I was already borderline obese. To answer your question, that's how I became overweight and needed a diet. I sure as heck didn't eat then what I do now. I have completely changed what I eat (and how much I drink) in order to lose weight.
  • BoaRestrictor
    Options

Yeah it's not pleasant.

I like the fast results?

Going to extremes such as drastic calorie reductions, cutting out foods that you love, talking about living in a state of perpetual hunger - for what? Reaching your goal in 3 months instead of 6 months? 6 months instead of a year?

It's supposed to be a lifestyle change. You're never going to eat pizza or chocolate for the rest of your life? I'd rather take a slower approach and learn sustainable habits personally.

I lost 30 lbs and never ate below 1500 cals. I never gave up wine, chocolate, ice cream or pizza. I'm maintaining now and I can honestly say that I never dealt with this "am I really starving or can I just get by a bit longer" feeling that you're describing, and I never once described the food I was eating as "not pleasant".

I got like 5 pounds tops to lose. Tops. 1.2 is already gone.
  • Vetticus_3
    Vetticus_3 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Carrots taste sweet to me now. I was a sugar addict and now carrots, a vegetable i used to hate, tastes like candy.

Complete side story - it could be the type of carrots you use. I used to buy from a lovely stall at the farmers market and the carrots were a wonderful carroty flavour and crisp texture that I could grate and cook with halloumi.
    Anyway, one weekend they weren't there so I bought my groceries from the store. They were not carrots. They were orange coloured sugar sticks. So sickeningly sweet ... urrgghh, I'm feeling sick just thinking about them.

Carrot candy - most vegetables and fruits are sweeter now than ever because they sell better. There was an article about it in New Scientist last year.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Yeah it's not pleasant.

I like the fast results?

I got like 5 pounds tops to lose. Tops. 1.2 is already gone.

Everyone has their own way of approaching this, but with less than 5 lbs to lose, you should be aiming to lose 0.5 lb/week in order to preserve lean muscle and ease the transition into maintenance. With everything you've cut out, when you go to add those back in as you mentioned above, you will likely see a rebound of your weight due to glycogen stores being replenished. Most people have a maintenance range of 3-5 lbs that they fluctuate within, so you may already be close enough to that that you want to start thinking about adding calories back in.

But going balls to the wall and stopping watering down your soups and eating chocolate again may just perpetuate the yo yo dieting.

Good luck.