Depression?

Options
How do you guys get motivated when you are depressed? We have been a lot going on the past few years and it really pulls me down. I find it very hard to stay motivated even though I HATE being fat.

Replies

• DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's just being able to push through the depression. I had that problems a few years ago, and I just had to force myself to continue. I know it's hard to get up and exercise while feeling depression, but you just have to say "I'm going to do this, depressed or not" and go through with it, even when you don't feel like getting out of bed. For nutrition, it's best to meal prep on a day you don't feel as bad, and make meals for the week. That way when you don't feel like doing anything, at least your meals will already be assembled and you don't have to think about what to make for meals.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Take it slow and easy. Weigh your food portions, and up your water first.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    For me, treating the depression is first and foremost. I have a hard time taking any steps until I do that. Whether you speak to a professional about it or not, there are a lot of self-care resources on the web. Talking to someone (whether it's a therapist, doctor, priest, or very close friend) can help. And if it's seasonal, a SAD light box might be appropriate.

Exercise, eating right, and getting enough water can all help with mild depression. So even if you can't take the big steps yet, little things like eating your veggies and taking 10-20 minute walks every day can help until you're able to do more.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I have days where it's stay in bed time (my go-to since I don't gorge overeat any longer). I do what I can to get out of my depression, sometimes that means eating a bunch of chocolate. Food is what helps me the most get out of my spirals and it's not easy to do when losing (maintaining a loss) weight. I learned that the once-in-a-while days where my choice is self-harm or eat, I eat.

Do what it takes to get you back up and running; treat your depression FIRST. Weight loss/gain/maintaining will take a backseat. Mental health is as important as physical health.
  • robyn10217
    robyn10217 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know I am dealing with the same thing myself,right now I'm focusing on my food and portion control. Excercise is important but I do it if I'm feeling super motivated for the day. But I have really depressed days when I just want to stay on the couch and watch tv and do nothing. And on those days I try and set smaller goals. Take a shower, make my bed, clean the house. Make my meal plan for the day and for the week. And it helps. Just with doing my meal planning I have lost my first 10 pounds. I hope this helps
  • jo_m_towns
    jo_m_towns Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You have to find your strength and know your self worth...in this life we all have things were dealing with...also, talking about it helps.
  • gypsyrose85
    gypsyrose85 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    jo_m_towns wrote: »
    You have to find your strength and know your self worth...in this life we all have things were dealing with...also, talking about it helps.

My problem is I can't really talk about it to anyone. Hubby gets annoyed because there is nothing he can do to fix it and I don't hang out with anyone. (I am kind of an odd duck. I have brain tumors so my social skills are not the greatest)
  • sassbean
    sassbean Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The struggle is real! And it's really hard to explain how frustrating it is to someone who has never experienced it. For me, echoing what someone else wrote, I had to talk to my doctor first about what I was experiencing. I went through an intense bout of postpartum depression that, through treatment, kickstarted a huge change in my life around self care. Good luck ❤️
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    My husband also doesn't understand depression. He's not the greatest to talk to, but over the years I have talked to him to dispel his myths and stupid ideas around the disease. Like the fact that's it really is a disease and not just me "being sad." He is coming around. He has learned that sometimes I just need to cry and need his hugs. That my brain does not always think logically and that it jumps to insane conclusions (I'm worthless, I'm a horrible wife, I suck at life, I fail at everything) and sometimes I just need him to tell me "No you're not. I love you. You're doing fine." So keep communication open with him. If you suffer from chronic depression, that is an aspect of your personality that he will have to deal with throughout your relationship.

Like others have said, getting yourself out of depression should be your top priority, with weight loss coming in second. That said, there are a lot of activities that can contribute to both. I'm going to list the activities that help me both feel better and also motivate me to eat healthy & exercise. Take or leave whatever you want.

-I get myself out of bed each morning by bribing myself w yummy coffee creamer. Unhealthy, I know, but it gets me up & going instead of staying in bed all day.
    -Shower every day. Small thing, but it makes a huge difference.
    -Wear cute, clean clothes. Not the same old pair of sweats. Again, small thing. Big payoff.
    -YOGA!!! Holy crappy crap, I cannot say enough amazing things about yoga. Practicing has seriously changed my life. Try a class (or classes. There are many different styles & teachers. Try different things & see what you like.) I first fell in love with restorative and yin yoga. Slow, relaxing. Your body doesn't work crazy hard, but your mind gets a break & relaxation. Concentrate on your breath & how things feel, not so much what shape your body is in. A live teacher is the best, but if you're not so sure, check out the YouTube channel Yoga With Adriene.
    -Meditation. Like a break for your brain. Learn how to slow down your thoughts & see things more objectively. (Yoga does this too, but through movement) If you've never meditated, I recommend the app/website Headspace. Their "Take 10" program is free. 10 mins for 10 days. Andy guides you through everything. It's made for complete beginners.
    -For food: plan ahead. Pick meals & buy the ingredients. If you're feeling great one day, get stuff prepped. Cut up meat & veggies. I will make a week of breakfasts & lunches ahead of time so that all I have to do is grab & go. Then if I'm feeling lazy, it's easier to be healthy.

Overall, I try to pay attention to have things make me feel. Different activities (surfing FB as opposed to going for a walk. Junk food vs veggies). When I feel crappy, I try to remember what activities pull me up & what pull me down. When my depression says, "No, that's too hard. You deserve a break/cookie/whatever" practice saying "No, I deserve to feel amazing. And this healthy activity will make me feel that way." Then I just start it. The more you practice, the easier it gets. Starting is the hard part.

Also, pick little goals that are easy to achieve. The more "victories" you have, the more momentum you build. When I feel like I'm failing at everything, I make myself celebrate the dumbest little stiff to turn things around. "I took a shower! Yeay! I rock! I ate a chicken breast! I'm killing it! I took a walk around the bock! Daaaang lookit you go!" Yeah, it sounds stupid, but when I feel like I'm meeting lots of goals, that momentum builds to get me to make bigger, better decisions & meet bigger, awesome goals.

Wow that got long. But this is a big, important subject to me. Feel free to add me. Good luck!
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    KiyaK wrote: »
    My husband also doesn't understand depression. He's not the greatest to talk to, but over the years I have talked to him to dispel his myths and stupid ideas around the disease. Like the fact that's it really is a disease and not just me "being sad." He is coming around. He has learned that sometimes I just need to cry and need his hugs. That my brain does not always think logically and that it jumps to insane conclusions (I'm worthless, I'm a horrible wife, I suck at life, I fail at everything) and sometimes I just need him to tell me "No you're not. I love you. You're doing fine." So keep communication open with him. If you suffer from chronic depression, that is an aspect of your personality that he will have to deal with throughout your relationship.

Like others have said, getting yourself out of depression should be your top priority, with weight loss coming in second. That said, there are a lot of activities that can contribute to both. I'm going to list the activities that help me both feel better and also motivate me to eat healthy & exercise. Take or leave whatever you want.

-I get myself out of bed each morning by bribing myself w yummy coffee creamer. Unhealthy, I know, but it gets me up & going instead of staying in bed all day.
    -Shower every day. Small thing, but it makes a huge difference.
    -Wear cute, clean clothes. Not the same old pair of sweats. Again, small thing. Big payoff.
    -YOGA!!! Holy crappy crap, I cannot say enough amazing things about yoga. Practicing has seriously changed my life. Try a class (or classes. There are many different styles & teachers. Try different things & see what you like.) I first fell in love with restorative and yin yoga. Slow, relaxing. Your body doesn't work crazy hard, but your mind gets a break & relaxation. Concentrate on your breath & how things feel, not so much what shape your body is in. A live teacher is the best, but if you're not so sure, check out the YouTube channel Yoga With Adriene.
    -Meditation. Like a break for your brain. Learn how to slow down your thoughts & see things more objectively. (Yoga does this too, but through movement) If you've never meditated, I recommend the app/website Headspace. Their "Take 10" program is free. 10 mins for 10 days. Andy guides you through everything. It's made for complete beginners.
    -For food: plan ahead. Pick meals & buy the ingredients. If you're feeling great one day, get stuff prepped. Cut up meat & veggies. I will make a week of breakfasts & lunches ahead of time so that all I have to do is grab & go. Then if I'm feeling lazy, it's easier to be healthy.

Overall, I try to pay attention to have things make me feel. Different activities (surfing FB as opposed to going for a walk. Junk food vs veggies). When I feel crappy, I try to remember what activities pull me up & what pull me down. When my depression says, "No, that's too hard. You deserve a break/cookie/whatever" practice saying "No, I deserve to feel amazing. And this healthy activity will make me feel that way." Then I just start it. The more you practice, the easier it gets. Starting is the hard part.

Also, pick little goals that are easy to achieve. The more "victories" you have, the more momentum you build. When I feel like I'm failing at everything, I make myself celebrate the dumbest little stiff to turn things around. "I took a shower! Yeay! I rock! I ate a chicken breast! I'm killing it! I took a walk around the bock! Daaaang lookit you go!" Yeah, it sounds stupid, but when I feel like I'm meeting lots of goals, that momentum builds to get me to make bigger, better decisions & meet bigger, awesome goals.

Wow that got long. But this is a big, important subject to me. Feel free to add me. Good luck!

Excellent ideas!
  • Feistychick68
    Feistychick68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I suffer depression too and weight loss is difficult. I also am in a relationship with a man who likes to remind me I weigh almost double of him. He is an alcoholic and when he gets drunk (daily) I get angry had is drinking again. I know the backlash, venom and vile won't be too far. He is fit and slim, and well I'm not ATM. His abuse when he is drinking makes it difficult to feel joyous and happy to jump up and exercise. I don't feel I eat a lot other than when I binge when I'm depressed or he rages on me. I'm awaiting biopsy results which ahould be fine but think I'm heading for a hystorectomy. My bfs makes me depressed and it is hard to be called horrible names and feel positive, I do my best and try to stay positive but it's difficult. Well it's Friday night and I'm so looking forward to being called a fat c**** all weekend long.
  • NathanFord312
    NathanFord312 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from depression for a very long time. It is honestly really hard to keep up something like fitness when you are in the middle of a depression phase. It's always something new that help me break out of it and unfortunately fitness usually takes a bit of a back seat. Fitness has kickstarted to feel better a few times. Pushing yourself to obtain even a small goal can kickstart something great! Good luck!
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I suffer depression too and weight loss is difficult. I also am in a relationship with a man who likes to remind me I weigh almost double of him. He is an alcoholic and when he gets drunk (daily) I get angry had is drinking again. I know the backlash, venom and vile won't be too far. He is fit and slim, and well I'm not ATM. His abuse when he is drinking makes it difficult to feel joyous and happy to jump up and exercise. I don't feel I eat a lot other than when I binge when I'm depressed or he rages on me. I'm awaiting biopsy results which ahould be fine but think I'm heading for a hystorectomy. My bfs makes me depressed and it is hard to be called horrible names and feel positive, I do my best and try to stay positive but it's difficult. Well it's Friday night and I'm so looking forward to being called a fat c**** all weekend long.

PLEASE, find someone who treats you like the amazing human you are. No one deserves that type of treatment. How will you ever heal your own thoughts about yourself if you're constantly hearing such trash from someone who is supposed to love you unconditionally?
    You deserve better.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Seriously, do not put up with that, especially the name calling.
    Consider finding a therapist.