Confused

Options
Hello everyone...can someone please help me...I can see my progress as for my loss in my clothes and everyone around me is noticing my weight loss but the scale is saying different...I started at 381 and had a dramatic loss in 5 days to 372 and now it's back up to 375....I have been under 1200 calories and no late night eating and I've only missed 4 days in the gym in the last 21 days...I don't do much treadmill because I have knee and hip issues but I lift weights of all kind and do all the crunch machines...normally a hour to hour n a half Of workout non stop....please tell me what I'm doing wrong

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Keep going, you are doing great. Body weight fluctuates all day long.
  • NathanFord312
    NathanFord312 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates everyday from the smallest of changes. That is why it is advised to only weight yourself once a week at the same time of day, on the same scale. My weight in is every Monday morning right after I use the bathroom.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    body weight isn't static...it fluctuates constantly...weight loss is about trends over the long term.
  • beautifuldoll35
    beautifuldoll35 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    1. Losing 6 pounds in 21 days is a wonderful rate of loss.
    2. As everyone else has said, fluctuations are normal.
    3. How are you measuring your food? (Eyeballing, cups/spoons, food scale, etc.) I took a peek at your diary and it looks like you don't yet have a food scale. If you don't, I highly recommend getting one. It will make a huge difference in how accurately you track your food.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hasn't been long enough to make any conclusions. Unless instructed by a doctor you should be eating at least 1200. I don't know your height, but at your weight a sedentary 5' 0" tall 37 year old female with no exercise "should" be able to lose weight eating 2100 calories a day. That would have to get adjusted downward as you lose weight.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hello everyone...can someone please help me...I can see my progress as for my loss in my clothes and everyone around me is noticing my weight loss but the scale is saying different...I started at 381 and had a dramatic loss in 5 days to 372 and now it's back up to 375....I have been under 1200 calories and no late night eating and I've only missed 4 days in the gym in the last 21 days...I don't do much treadmill because I have knee and hip issues but I lift weights of all kind and do all the crunch machines...normally a hour to hour n a half Of workout non stop....please tell me what I'm doing wrong

Weight loss isn't linear. That said, how many calories does MFP suggest for you? If you're close to 400lbs, 1200 calories is awfully low.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    If it's that time of the month your body will retain more water than normal. Horomones are a b*tch to us. Keep on your diet and as others said just watch the overall trend.
  • beautifuldoll35
    Options
    @AliceDark I actually do have a food scale but I only use it for meat mostly...I measure everything else by measuring cup unless it's individually packaged
  • beautifuldoll35
    Options
    @ClosetBayesian yes it did say 2100 but I felt that was awfully high...I find myself barely eating the 1200 but I'm never hungry
  • beautifuldoll35
    Options
    @ModernRock that's the goal it suggested but I just thought that was so high...I eat right at 1200 n I'm never hungry...but I have been working out in the gym for a hour to 90 minutes 5 days a week also
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Sometimes you will lose more, sometimes less, sometimes nothing at all.
    As long as you are sure in your logging and exercise keep on going. Results will come :)
    Also, scale is sometimes not the best way to measure your progress.
  • AliceDark
    Options
    @ModernRock that's the goal it suggested but I just thought that was so high...I eat right at 1200 n I'm never hungry...but I have been working out in the gym for a hour to 90 minutes 5 days a week also

Did you just start the exercise? Any time you start new exercise (or drastically increase the amount of exercise you're doing), you'll see an increase in water retention that can mask weight loss. It can take 4-6 weeks for this effect to stabilize, so if the exercise is new in the past 3 weeks, I wouldn't be too worried about seeing a slightly slower rate of loss. Give it time and that will even out.

Also, FWIW, 2100 isn't high for you. I'm 130 pounds and lose at 1500. There's no reason you need to take your calories down to 1200.
  • AliceDark
    Options
    @AliceDark I actually do have a food scale but I only use it for meat mostly...I measure everything else by measuring cup unless it's individually packaged

I'd strongly recommend you start using your food scale for everything except liquids. Measuring cups are highly inaccurate, and the food scale is really easy to use once you get used to it.