Weighing self on the daily?

Options
Hey everyone,

I've found that when I weigh myself everyday or every second day it keeps me far more motivated and reminds me why I am doing this (to be able to feel better physically and mentally). Bearing in mind I do keep other records (measurements and photos).

BUT basically every Women's Health or online article I read says you should stay away from the scales and weigh yourself every week or two weeks? Thoughts?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with weighing daily as long as the constant ups-and-downs don't derail you. I weigh every weekday morning and track it in Happy Scale to view the overall trend.
  • KimmyJaneTD
    KimmyJaneTD Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily as well. I agree with the other comment that you're not harming anything by doing it, but you can't be the kind to be easily discouraged. If you find the scale number to be discouraging you, put it away for a week or two and focus on your other "non scale victories".
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    becleaux wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I've found that when I weigh myself everyday or every second day it keeps me far more motivated and reminds me why I am doing this (to be able to feel better physically and mentally). Bearing in mind I do keep other records (measurements and photos).

BUT basically every Women's Health or online article I read says you should stay away from the scales and weigh yourself every week or two weeks? Thoughts?

A lot of people get discouraged by daily fluctations or become obsessive. For that type, it is good advice. If neither are an issue for you, go for it.

I weigh almost every day. Sometimes I weigh morning and night. I don't freak out over the ups and downs. I find it interesting. For example, I learned my weight will go up after working backshift (even after sleeping and not eating for the same amount of time I would if I was getting a regular sleep).
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    In agreement with the above ladies, as I don't mind the fluctuations because I use a trend graph to track my weight loss.

I think the advice in the magazines you're refering to may be because there are those who may be discouraged by seeing numbers go up rather than always down, who may not understand that water weight is masking fat loss on the scales, and so may not give sufficient time for a diet to work before giving up.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I do too, save the odd day here and there.

I like information. I like to face and deal with reality. My weight does not tend to fluctuate wildly. I am not obsessive and I will not freak out if I don't like what I see.

Do what works for you.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I weigh almost every day. Sometimes I weigh morning and night. I don't freak out over the ups and downs. I find it interesting. For example, I learned my weight will go up after working backshift (even after sleeping and not eating for the same amount of time I would if I was getting a regular sleep).

Exactly...you can learn a lot by weighing daily. I also notice that sleep is much more important than we tend to give it credit for.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with it as long as you keep in perspective that weight fluctuates and some days will be more than others. I weigh most days but only track Sunday mornings
  • uzovka
    uzovka Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do it every morning. It's part of my morning ritual now :-)
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Just like others said, I think the "weigh weekly" advice is for those who get easily discouraged by weight fluctuations. Like you, I find that weighing daily helps keep me motivated and gives me constant feedback on my choices, even if it's just "I'm clearly retaining water, maybe it was all the salt in the mcdonalds fries". I dont get upset when I see small fluctuaions.
    I only record my weight on mfp weekly, however
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I do it because I love data, am motivated by and interested in it, and am pretty grounded about the fact that fluctuations are normal. I don't go on a giving-up binge if there isn't a constant steady loss.

For people who don't love data, aren't motivated by or interested in it, and do get discouraged by fluctuations and give up, which I think describes more people than it doesn't, "don't weigh daily" is good advice.

MFP is I think naturally going to attract more a certain personality type for whom data is interesting and compelling, but we're not maybe representative of the larger population. No pun intended.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily too and track my weight on Trendweight. It helps smooth out the fluctuations that would probably discourage me if I didn't see it there in black and white on the graph.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I do it too. For me having the data from mfp, fitbit and the scale (in the Libra app) is the only thing that keeps me going with this. Tried losing weight so many times before these things but this really helps me stay sane and on track.
    So yeah, I agree for a certain type of person it really helps and if you are that type of person just keep doing it.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. It was a little hard at first to get used to the fluctuations, but it is easier now knowing they are normal. I do feel more motivated. If it is down I always feel good but if it is up I just look at what I did the day before and if there was anything I could do better. This morning I was up 1.2 pounds. I mostly attribute that to going out for Mexican food and margaritas last night. I know not to do that every day and I'll do better today. I also got my period this morning. Nothing I can do about that so between the two I won't let it bother me. I'm sure the weight will be back down in a day or two. I did see a lady on here who was worried because she had gained .8 pound and she had been working so hard. For people like that daily weighing is probably not a good idea. Or someone who has an ED probably shouldn't weigh daily either. If it motivates you it is fine, but if it makes you feel bad about yourself then once a week or even less is probably better.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh daily because it takes the pressure off. When I weigh every week or every other week I have these high expectations and get disappointed if the loss isn't big enough but weighing daily it doesn't bother me to see the ups and downs of the scale. Like you, I used to weigh weekly or monthly based on what other people said was best but daily works much better for me!
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, sometimes seeing the wrong number bugs me. It is getting better /easier though, and I have figured out which foods make me retain some water weight. So Soil do find the data interesting./useful .
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I do too, save the odd day here and there.

I like information. I like to face and deal with reality. My weight does not tend to fluctuate wildly. I am not obsessive and I will not freak out if I don't like what I see.

Do what works for you.

I'm the same!

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning upon rising, but I use Fitbit's weekly average as my 'official' weight. I also delete the highest weight of the week, so it's a six rather than seven day average. Works like a charm for me!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I weigh daily but I record the weight once a week.
  • TnZMom
    TnZMom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I tried weighing daily, but get frustrated by how the scale keeps moving up for two weeks out of the month. So now I weigh once per month on the same day of my cycle.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think the warning about weighing every day is ready for revision. Modern digital scales are very accurate, and knowing that day to day fluctuations are normal, is important to be able to use the data properly. How often one should weigh oneself, has to be a personal choice.