Is it bad to do double work out a day ?

Options
I'm doing cross fit and then after like a later that day perhaps at night I go ahead and go to the gym and do cardio . Is it bad or should I let my body rest ?
Just wondering .

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What is your goal?
  • lovelykayla
    lovelykayla Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    What is your goal?

Well, I want to loose weight but also get some lean muscle to burn off the fat .
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    What is your goal?

Well, I want to loose weight but also get some lean muscle to burn off the fat .

There is nothing wrong with doing two a day workouts in general, however, for the sake of weight loss alone - I'm not a big fan.
    Find an activity level you can maintain after you reach goal. If you use a ton of exercise to lose weight, when you stop doing that amount, you have to make up for it somehow.
    Plus you run the risk of burn out or injury if you are piling on workouts with out some sort of plan.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    How much do you need to lose?
  • lovelykayla
    Options
    How much do you need to lose?

A good 100 lbs ;/
  • lovelykayla
    Options
    What is your goal?

There is nothing wrong with doing two a day workouts in general, however, for the sake of weight loss alone - I'm not a big fan.
    Find an activity level you can maintain after you reach goal. If you use a ton of exercise to lose weight, when you stop doing that amount, you have to make up for it somehow.
    Plus you run the risk of burn out or injury if you are piling on workouts with out some sort of plan.

What do you mean by make up for it some how please specify (:
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    What is your goal?

What do you mean by make up for it some how please specify (:

She means you either have to find a way to keep up the same level of activity or will end up having to cut how much you eat to maintain your goal weight.

An example:
    When I'm in my normal routine, I burn over 2000 calories a day. Which means I can lose weight comfortably on around 1800 calories.
    However, when I'm sick or for whatever reason I'm not getting my normal level of activity, at my weight I'm looking at a maintenance of around 1600-1700 calories. So that same 1800 that I could normally eat to lose, would cause me to gain if I didn't make adjustments to my eating or my activity.

(PS: I double up workouts a lot. But it's because I like it. Sometimes I go to the gym and then do a second workout at home. Then again sometimes instead of a second workout, it's a nap. Depends on the day.)
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'd be wary of doing it on a calorie deficit. But if the cardio is low impact, you should be fine. I often do two a days during summer (teacher so i'm off), and I'll usually do crossfit with deliberately lighter weights and then do a heavy lifting session later that day.

Just remember your muscles (and joints, while we're at it) need time to heal. Proper sleep and nutrition is absolutely critical.
  • lovelykayla
    Options
    rejectuf wrote: »
    I'd be wary of doing it on a calorie deficit. But if the cardio is low impact, you should be fine. I often do two a days during summer (teacher so i'm off), and I'll usually do crossfit with deliberately lighter weights and then do a heavy lifting session later that day.

Just remember your muscles (and joints, while we're at it) need time to heal. Proper sleep and nutrition is absolutely critical.

Okay got it ! Thank you
    Also uhm is taking sst performance bad . And also cla
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Okay got it ! Thank you

I'd be careful with it, looking at the ingredients it is essentially a caffeine pill with a few other ingredients. Supplements like this can be dangerous and are typically a waste of money.

I don't know much about CLA. Although, I don't think this one is all that harmful. I'm not sure if it's useful or not though.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    You're probably not hurting yourself much by overexercising, at least in the short term,
    but you're more likely to burn out & give up if you keep trying to do so much so fast.

Set a smaller, more realistic goal, one that you can keep doing for at least the couple of years
    it will take you to lose 100 lb. (If that is a realistic & healthy goal for you.)
    Maybe crossfit 2 days a week, cardio 2 other days, alternating.
    (I'm thinking that crossfit includes weights? If not, trade one or both of the cardio for weights.)

kayla wrote:
    I want to loose (sic) weight but also get some lean muscle to burn off the fat
    "Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

It's a lot easier not to eat 400 cal than it is to burn it off.

You already have muscle, and all muscle is lean (as in, it's not composed of fat).
    In order to maintain the muscle you have, while also burning fat to get to a healthy weight,
    eat slightly below the calories you need to maintain that weight (see my blog post below),
    aiming for the top half of the healthy range for protein intake,
    and do weightlifting.

It's highly unlikely you will build muscle (because you need excess calories & protein to do that),
    other than a little newbie gain, but that's OK.
    If you maintain what you already have, and lose fat, you will end up with a higher % of muscle.
    And as the fat comes off, you will start to be able to see the underlying muscle.
    If you don't maintain muscle, your body will burn it for fuel.
    It's much harder to rebuild it than to maintain what you already have.

Also, while muscle does burn several times as many calories as fat (while at rest),
    the article quoted in this blog post does the math & shows that if you lose
    50 lb of fat & build 20 lb of muscle, you've only increased your RMR by 20 cal/day.

Here are some posts you might find helpful.
    At least read sexypants.
    Also my blog post (at the bottom), which has links to reliable sites discussing things like
    "what's a healthy weight range for me?"
    "how many calories should I be eating?"
    "what are the healthy % ranges for macronutrients?"

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819925/the-basics-dont-complicate-it/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1

Goal setting, including weight, calories, and macros
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-setting-goals-667045
  • William4MVP
    William4MVP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You'll probably burn out quickly doing this but if your cardio is light (walking or bike) it's fine I guess
  • William4MVP
    William4MVP Posts: 166 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Okay got it ! Thank you

I would say taking them every day is bad, yes and honestly they don't really make too much of a difference in weight loss. Your better off using C4 if you want something for energy. (don't take it at night time, it'll ruin your sleep)

CLA doesn't sound like something worth using, I would not bother buying it. If you have it already, just finish it off i guess
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I do double workouts maybe 2 or 3 times a week, but try and mix it up. Swim and run or run and bike. But one is easier in intensity or length. With crossfire that's seems like a fully body exercise, so I wonder if you're going to be overworking tired muscles.