Best way to get rid of arm flab?

Options
I was 200 pounds a year ago and now I'm 155. My arms are becoming flabby and I would really appreciate some recommendations in what exercises I could do to tone them.

Thank you

Replies

• a4chase1
    a4chase1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Fly backs. 5 lb weights work for me. You stand shoulder width apart. Knees slightly bent. Back straight and bent over about a 45* angle to the floor. Place arms against your sides holding weights. Knuckles forward. Palms facing toward the wall behind you. Keeping arms straight swing them back to engage your triceps and shoulders. Keep stomach taught for strong back. Do 3 sets of 10 reps. Controlled movements. You'll feel the burn. Also small and large arm circles multiple times work. As well as holding arms out for a minute at a time. I call it the "T" position. Dips are good as well.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Arm flab is fat. Unfortunately, we cannot spot reduce fat. We can work on strengthening and, with proper nutrition, building specific muscles. To lose fat on your arms, continue to eat in a caloric deficit, which means eating fewer calories than you burn. You can do that by eating less, moving more (all physical activity burns calories), or a combination. Keep in mind that if you are genetically programmed to have a certain body shape, you will not be able to change your overall genetics but you can optimize your shape/look/fitness level.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Arm flab is fat. Unfortunately, we cannot spot reduce fat. We can work on strengthening and, with proper nutrition, building specific muscles. To lose fat on your arms, continue to eat in a caloric deficit, which means eating fewer calories than you burn. You can do that by eating less, moving more (all physical activity burns calories), or a combination. Keep in mind that if you are genetically programmed to have a certain body shape, you will not be able to change your overall genetics but you can optimize your shape/look/fitness level.

^ This exactly. No exercise will reduce or get rid of it, because you can't exercise fat. What "toning" really means is just losing the fat to reveal the muscles underneath, and that's done by calorie deficit.
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! I'm a lot older than you and I have some of the dreaded "bingo wings". I have noticed that lately they don't look as bad since I started doing crossfit. So, while I know you can't spot reduce, you can build muscle and everything starts to look tighter. And the fact that you're so young is on your side. So keep at it and start loving those push ups! :)