Pizza Grease and Calories

Options
AngieGetsHealthyin2012
AngieGetsHealthyin2012 Posts: 45 Member
edited January 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Apparently dabbing grease off the top of pizza can remove hundreds of calories per slice, which amazes me. I'm a long-time dabber because grease is just gross, but now I am wondering...

If the calories listed for a certain brand of pizza INCLUDE the grease calories, could I calculate less calories when doing my calorie budget if I've done some dabbing?

https://labdoor.com/article/how-many-calories-does-dabbing-the-grease-off-a-pizza-slice-save-you

Replies

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I dab it. . log it as it says it is and call it insurance.
  • AngieGetsHealthyin2012
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    I dab it. . log it as it says it is and call it insurance.

Ha - that's what I've been doing too. However, after enough dabs I might be able to actually fit in an extra piece!
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I seriously doubt that its hundreds per slice. Do you feel that you are dabbing up more than a full tablespoon of oil from each slice? You could (if you were really dedicated) do a comparison test by pouring a tablespoon full of oil into a place and then putting a paper towel on top of it to compare. My guess is that its probably more like 15 or 30 calories per slice, max.

But to answer your question I imagine that if you're looking at calories on a box or on a website, its based on the calories in the ingredients used, so it would include the fat from the cheese.

ETA, I see that website says its about 40 calories saved for a 14 inch slice with pepperoni. So that would be about a teaspoon of oil. I still think you'd have to smoosh pretty hard to get that much.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If you're going to try and be that accurate, I recommend weighing your paper towelling before and after dabbing and working out exactly how many grams of oil you're dabbing off, because it might not be as many as you think (and remember some will be moisture and not pure oil).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Two slices, thin crust, are about perfect for my macro balance and happiness.

I agree with the insurance.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    According to the graphic you linked, it saves about 40 calories per slice. Not insignificant, but nowhere near hundreds per slice. The whole slice is 324 calories.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    If you're going to try and be that accurate, I recommend weighing your paper towelling before and after dabbing and working out exactly how many grams of oil you're dabbing off, because it might not be as many as you think (and remember some will be moisture and not pure oil).

ah. the elegance of your methodology puts me to shame :)
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    According to the graphic you linked, it saves about 40 calories per slice. Not insignificant, but nowhere near hundreds per slice. The whole slice is 324 calories.

Ah yes, you're completely correct. So no - dab as hard as you want, you're not earning another slice of pizza.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Me thinks it's not hundreds of calories per slice...a whole tablespoon of grease is like 120 calories...if you're getting that much grease off your pizza, you need to find another pizzeria.
  • AngieGetsHealthyin2012
    Options
    Ah yeah, 40 calories isn't hundreds of calories. Bummer.
    However, if I ate three dabbed pizza slices, I could earn one additional piece.
    This still makes me happy.

(Another site listed 76 calories. I'm sure it just depends on the pizza.)
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Is this New York pizza? I've only seen people do that in New York
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options

Exactly, the article says 40 calories per slice which if anything is a little high. Even taking their numbers, 324-40 calories means a slice is 284 cal. Then 284 / 40 saved means you have to be eating 7.1 slices before you save enough to eat an extra slice for "free." Your total in both cases is 2300 calories.

Just keep it as insurance.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Ah yeah, 40 calories isn't hundreds of calories. Bummer.
    However, if I ate three dabbed pizza slices, I could earn one additional piece.
    This still makes me happy.

(Another site listed 76 calories. I'm sure it just depends on the pizza.)

Sorry, if you ate 7 dabbed pieces you'd get one more.
    :s
  • AngieGetsHealthyin2012
    Options

Sorry, if you ate 7 dabbed pieces you'd get one more.
    :s

Oh noes.... I misread the diagram. Darn it! I liked my math better than yours.

*disappoint* :'(
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Or you could just omit any toppings which render pig fat all over your pizzas.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

*gasp* then what's the point of pizza??
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

*gasp* then what's the point of pizza??
    For dunking in ranch dressing of course . ;)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    What about the grease it drips down my chin while I'm devouring my undabbed pizza?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Oh my. I think I'd just count the calories. I can't imagine you're saving that many calories and if you are you should probably just eat better pizza. If I can get a couple tablespoons of oil off my pizza slice that is just gross.
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I think the calories are already in the figure, so I'll just eat my yummy grease. Maybe it will help with diet constipation, and I'll lose more weight?