Severely Obese just need to make small changes to see result

Options
So, i started at 329 pounds, and am already averaging a pound down per day. on a normal day, i would EASILY go over 3500 calories just by eating junk food and fast food. now that i have eliminated that, the weight is just falling off.

i know it's not going to stay that way, i will inevitably hit a plateau, but it's important for extremely heavy people to realize that even small changes will make a big difference.

it's often unrealisitc for someone who is in the 325+ range to try to eat a 1200 or 1800 calorie a day plan. they get very hungry, and often fail even before they start. perhaps it's better to start out just altering one big bad habit until you hit a plateau, and then tackle another one.

i know this may not be the best idea for everyone, but for people who struggle with self worth and self esteem, it's nice to see results fairly quickly, without that much change. it makes the transition a whole lot easier and self-affirmning.

Replies

• ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    So, i started at 329 pounds, and am already averaging a pound down per day. on a normal day, i would EASILY go over 3500 calories just by eating junk food and fast food. now that i have eliminated that, the weight is just falling off.

i know it's not going to stay that way, i will inevitably hit a plateau, but it's important for extremely heavy people to realize that even small changes will make a big difference.

it's often unrealisitc for someone who is in the 325+ range to try to eat a 1200 or 1800 calorie a day plan. they get very hungry, and often fail even before they start. perhaps it's better to start out just altering one big bad habit until you hit a plateau, and then tackle another one.

i know this may not be the best idea for everyone, but for people who struggle with self worth and self esteem, it's nice to see results fairly quickly, without that much change. it makes the transition a whole lot easier and self-affirmning.
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Thanks for sharing your successful tips. Good luck in your journey!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Yes, the thing is....when you are significantly overweight, your body WANTS to get rid of it and even a small change (consistent) will get the body working! It's almost like any small thing you do get's the body saying "WOO!! About time! Let's get going!!!" LOL! And you can see steady results if you just stay with it.
  • cheermom11
    cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right! Dr. Phil just had some examples on his show that if you give up just one of your vices per day, you could drop 'x' amount of pounds a year.

I'm a former Coke addict. By giving up just one Coke per day, you can lose 14.6 pounds in one year. Amazing!!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    that is correct. You are doing a great job and I am proud of you. Keep up the great work. :drinker: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    i;ve been reading your blog ... and i keep being amazed how you do well..
    you should be proud of yourself .. for all the things youve done so far,,

i know you'll do great things :)

cant wait to see your ticker move again !!!
  • chrissypoo
    Options
    well you sound like your off to a good start you certainly ahve the right attitude!!!
    good luck
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Yep I am learning that baby steps are good. I have to keep telling myself that any weight lost is good even if it is a pound. I am so nervous about weighing in tomorrow night. If I have stayed the same or gained I am afraid I will get discouraged. I have never eaten this many calories on a diet before. But then it's not a diet it's a healthy eating plan that I will follow the rest of my life. Ugh! I have to stop doubting myself and that is the biggest step I am working on right now. Loving and accepting me. Thanks for the encouragement ellelit! :drinker:
    Amy

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    You're welcome~

one thing that i never really understood until now is that any change, no matter how small, is a POSITIVE change. even if you cut down just 1 soda a day, that's a big step. the next month, cut down to one every second day and so on, then move on to your next goal.

one of the things that was the hardest for me to get over was the "all or nothing" mentality. it was always "go big or go home", which is why if i slipped up i'd just throw everything out the window because i thought one little misstep would derail my whole plan. i never though that making small changes would make a difference... i always thought i had to full bore right out the gate, running, lifting weights, cutting calories to 1500 a day, and so on... until 2 weeks lter, i would say, "forget it! it's not worth it" and give up.

choosing smaller, more acheivable goals is defintiely the way that is working for me. i have some larger, lofty goals, but they are in the background, not really affecting my day to day plans.