I give myself cheat a day is that bad?

Options
Hi everyone i give myself a cheat day on the weekend not all weekend but on Friday or Saturday is that bad?

Replies

• NathanFord312
    NathanFord312 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you mean by cheating. If you stay under your calories goal, then you will be fine. I personally don't have any cheat days where I exceed my calories because I feel like it will it will only make my goals take longer for reach.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't recommend cheat day. For me it didn't work because it just made me crave everything more, and after few weeks did not satisfy me anymore.
    Instead now I don't restrict anything from my diet, I eat everything in moderation, and make it work in my calories.
    I don't like going over my calories, so if I do have bigger meal I tend to exercise more that day to work it off.
  • DanTillson
    DanTillson Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I totally disagree and destroy a cheat day once a week where I actually aim to go well over the top. Last week I hit 6k+ calories and still lost weight over the course of the week (2kg total whilst adding muscle so unsure fat amounts). There is some evidence (although debatable) that if you are strict the rest of the time then over doing it once a week will stop your metabolism downshifting and your body getting used to less calories. It also keeps me sane (ish) and gives me something to look forward too
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    DanTillson wrote: »
    Last week I hit 6k+ calories and still lost weight over the course of the week (2kg total whilst adding muscle so unsure fat amounts).

So you lost 2kg in a week and are claiming that you gained muscle?

There is some evidence (although debatable) that if you are strict the rest of the time then over doing it once a week will stop your metabolism downshifting and your body getting used to less calories.

Do you have any of this evidence? Adaptive Thermogenesis is not fooled by a cheat day.
  • DanTillson
    Options
    Hey AJ. Yes, I absolutely gained muscle and my lifts are consistently increasing in the gym although my scales (weighed daily, same time) have shown a 2kg loss in the last 7 days with similar results the week before.

I had not mentioned adaptive thermogenesis. I looked at the data from the slow carb diet which was based on 3.5k people and compared those who incorporated a cheat day vs those who didn't. Not only didn't it affect weight loss but having the cheat day massively improve adherence... hardly conclusive 'proof' and there's always a chance that it's correlation rather than cause but what works works.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    Hey AJ. Yes, I absolutely gained muscle and my lifts are consistently increasing in the gym although my scales (weighed daily, same time) have shown a 2kg loss in the last 7 days with similar results the week before.

Getting stronger and gaining muscle mass are two very different things. You can absolutely be getting stronger while maintaining or even losing muscle mass. Have you actually measured body composition in an accurate way to know that you're gaining muscle during this weight loss?

I had not mentioned adaptive thermogenesis. I looked at the data from the slow carb diet which was based on 3.5k people and compared those who incorporated a cheat day vs those who didn't. Not only didn't it affect weight loss but having the cheat day massively improve adherence... hardly conclusive 'proof' and there's always a chance that it's correlation rather than cause but what works works.

You absolutely mentioned adaptive thermogenesis without calling it by it's name. You mentioned "metabolism downshifting". Unless you meant something else by that? Certain factors affecting diet adherence is one thing, but trying to claim that a cheat day can prevent adaptive thermogenesis, or "metabolism downshifting" in a calorie deficit is another.
  • DanTillson
    Options
    No I have not used anything more accurate than a electro conductive scale (which I know is inaccurate and highly influenced by water levels etc.) however my measurements have increased on upper arms, shoulders and chest so yes I think that should be a good reflection.

Yes I meant your body is adaptive and will learn very quickly to maintain on less calories. I did not however mention adaptive heat production by the body which is exactly what thermogenesis would suggest?

I have zero idea what evidence you have to the contrary or if you just like disagreeing with people on the internet as fun friday activity. However, you suggesting that I am wrong where I am not claiming anything other than personal experience (although supported with the data points from several thousands of participants) whilst offering nothing which contradicts this is at best a poor debated arguement.
  • DanTillson
    Options
    Apologies OP, this is not what you were asking for at all. Suggestion would be to do what works for you long term and not listen fully to anyone else. Small tweaks regularly; keep what works, ditch what doesn't :)

Why some people cannot have a friendly debate or put their point over without accusing someone of being an idiot I have no idea. Please note I said 'Hey AJ' from message one and was happy to support my side rather than just being condescending and trying to use long words to appear superior. Either way, good luck on your journeys...
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, do it. :) I have 'free' days on weekends, too, mostly because my husband and I don't want to give up our brunches together, but mostly what I've found is that as I lose weight and eat more healthily overall, I don't splurge as badly as I used to. I don't want the fatty greasy food I used to crave so much.
    Some people can't have splurges because then they just want more, and others would rather eat small amounts of treat foods every day. It's all about what works for you.
  • AJ_G
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yes I meant your body is adaptive and will learn very quickly to maintain on less calories. I did not however mention adaptive heat production by the body which is exactly what thermogenesis would suggest?

Adaptive Thermogenesis: The coordinate actions of metabolic, behavioral, neuroendocrine, and autonomic responses designed to maintain body energy stores (fat) at a CNS- defined “ideal”.

I have zero idea what evidence you have to the contrary or if you just like disagreeing with people on the internet as fun friday activity. However, you suggesting that I am wrong where I am not claiming anything other than personal experience (although supported with the data points from several thousands of participants) whilst offering nothing which contradicts this is at best a poor debated arguement.

All I wanted was some sort of link to the evidence you suggested in your first post. You said: "There is some evidence (although debatable) that if you are strict the rest of the time then over doing it once a week will stop your metabolism downshifting and your body getting used to less calories."

I just want to see said evidence, that is all.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    Why some people cannot have a friendly debate or put their point over without accusing someone of being an idiot I have no idea. Please note I said 'Hey AJ' from message one and was happy to support my side rather than just being condescending and trying to use long words to appear superior. Either way, good luck on your journeys...

At what point did our debate become other than friendly? I think it has been very civil so far. I also never accused you of being an idiot, or even infer that at any point, not sure where you got that from?
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Even if you go above your calorie goal I just won't matter... I can double or even triple my calorie goal on a Friday or Saturday and I have still kept up the weight loss trend.....tonight it was a bottle and a half of wine... Last week it was six pints and a bag of chips. That being said, I am down more that 20 lbs and still going strong....
  • jEsSiE2350
    jEsSiE2350 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't go over my calories that it gives me
  • jenncoulter15
    jenncoulter15 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Actually a cheat day once every week or two is good for your body. Your body gets used to your caloric intake and a cheat MEAL can actually boost your metabolism because you're surprising your body. I actually lose weight within the next week. Instead of a full day, make it a cheat meal and make sure that meal isn't over 1500 calories. Enjoy!
  • KendraMonster
    KendraMonster Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't give myself a cheat day....do I cheat every once in awhile with a meal out? yes of course but not a whole day, that would be a disaster for me. Everyone is different though.