healthy pork chops?

Options
jujubean1992
jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
anyone know a good way to make tasty pork chops with out frying them? my family is kinda southern so meat is fried, veggies are covered in butter, and potatoes are mashed, and bread and butter are a side for anything. HELP ME IN MY HORRIBLE FATTENING WAYS!

Replies

• Jovannyr
    Jovannyr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Bake them or grill them...I used to only eat them fried until I got my grill...I like them better that way..:smile:
  • dirtyblue
    dirtyblue Posts: 90
    Options
    Grill them or broil them with garlic powder, cracked pepper and italian seasoning!
  • jujubean1992
    Options
    I KNEW THOSE WERE THE ONLY TWO OPTIONS!... :( no grill... old school broiler that i don't know how to use... it's below my oven and it slides out. so if someone wants to teach me how to use one of those i'd greatly appreciate it! does anyone know if i could like bake them?
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You can make a maranade of rice vinigar soy sauce. Some water chopped green onions shredded ginger,and one finally. Chopped jalapeno crushedgarlic let sit for anhour taste add ingrediants to your taste and adjust. then add pork chops in a ziplockbag and grill on bar be que or broil
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I had thin pork chops last night and I just seasoned them (I like them spicy) and then pop them in the oven. They're so yummy and they don't upset my tummy like fried foods do.

I bake them at 350 degrees for about 20 mins.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    On the grill, baked, or broiled. Just drissle with a little canola and add spices of your choice.
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You can bake them for sure. Try the Raspberry Pork Chops recipe on Allrecipes.com. Delish!
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    sure you could bake them! I posted a recipe for them on my blog this week! chewymama.com - instead of grilling them, throw them in a glass dish and bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.
  • jujubean1992
    Options
    I had thin pork chops last night and I just seasoned them (I like them spicy) and then pop them in the oven. They're so yummy and they don't upset my tummy like fried foods do.

how exactly did you "pop them in the oven" bake? on what temp fr how long?
  • 01elizabeth59
    Options
    Weight Watchers has a recipe for Pork chops w/ pear sauce that is Delish!! The chops are fried but very lightly and no breading. I'm not sure if I've entered it into the database. I'll send it if it sounds like something you'd like to try.
  • PandaFAmBAm
    PandaFAmBAm Posts: 111
    Options
    http://www.sunflowermarkets.com/Recipes/RecipeFull.aspx?RecipeID=36158\

I made this last night but I cut some of the ingrenets out like 1/3 cup cider vinger and the cumin powder. I am sure you could use pork chops instead. It was super yummy-
  • pauterson
    pauterson Posts: 65
    Options
    Here's the cool thing - I've also fought through the crazy bad habbits of "good" southern home cooking.

You can still use your frying pan to cook them. Get a little bit (1tsp) of "I can't believe it's not butter light" or some of the "Pam" spray and put just enough on your pan to put a very thin non stick layer.

Put salt and pepper onto your pork chop - nothing else. Also, cut any of the fat off of the edges - it's really not so yummy.

once you've sprayed your pan, turn the heat on low and put the porkchops in the pan. Cook until the chop looks about 1/2 way cooked on the side that's touching the pan. Then turn your heat up and flip. Cook until that side turns brown. Then it'll be a little crispy on that side. YuM! My hubby and I like to eat them with green beans that have been heated and I usually put a little bit of garlic salt and a spritz of the "I can't believe it's not butter spray". :-)

OH, quick tip too... don't be afraid to put a little more spray or even a teaspoon of water if your chops are starting to get too brown too soon. :-)

Just remember, cooking things in a pan isn't the "bad" part, it's what you're using to cook them in that pan which makes it bad. That's actually why it's called "frying" because of all the grease that is typically used to cook/eliminate sticking.

I hope this helps.
  • Mamadaee
    Mamadaee Posts: 1
    Options
    Your broiler is like an upside down grill.Turn your broiler on... usually it's the highest heat like 500 degrees. Since your broiler is a lower drawer it may be best to just make a tray outta foil and curl up the sides to catch the juices. Rub seasonings on the chop (garlic S&P and sage) I'd broil it 10 minutes each side and then take it out, make a small slice in middle and if the juices run clear and hot then it's done. If there's some pink/red juice put it back in at 5 minute intervals.

Another recipe to consider:
    Place chops in baking dish, s&p both sides, sprinkle with dried garlic and dried onions. pour lowfat milk into the pan until it slightly covers the top of the chop. (yes, some spices will float) Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes-1 hour.
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    broil with lots of seasoning, either a marinade and basting that sauce over and over or a cajun dry seasoning liberally added.
  • jujubean1992
    Options
    GR! i'm so fustrated...... please don't tell me to broil them unless you can explain to me how to use my broiler: it's under my oven and it slides out like a drawer. i've used a regular broiler just finee but never one like this and i don't even know if it works.....
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I dip them in flour then egg then(garlic) bread crumbs and then put them in a pan with a little olive oil.
  • Harrar10
    Harrar10 Posts: 116
    Options
    I bake mine at 350 degrees for a total of 45 minutes flipping after 30 minutes. I marinate them with any marinade usually lemon pepper :-) Taste Great!!
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    I always bake mine at 350 for 20 mins at a time, flip them when the time beeps. usually it only takes 40 mins just depends on how thick they are. I either use lawry's seasoning salt and pepper, or i pick up a teriyaki marinade, or mccormick makes some good seasoning as well. Also you can pour some cream of mushroom soup on top of them and eat it over rice, it's really high in sodium though.
  • harryandsally
    harryandsally Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Seriously, these is the best porkchops I've ever eaten.

Take thick-cut porkchops and butterfly them (I buy the pre-butterflied ones because I'm lazy). Put 1 ounce of FAT FREE cream cheese inside each one and smoosh it around so that it's spread edge to edge. (Only use fat free cream cheese -- everything else will ooze out.) Sprinkle chopped jalapenos on top of the cream cheese. (I use Penzey's dehydrated jalapenos -- fantastic.) Wrap EACH stuffed porkchop with 4 slices of turkey bacon so that the chop is completely covered; secure with toothpick(s). Put them in a Pam-spritzed pan and bake at 350 for an hour.

I eat 1/2 of a chop for dinner save the other 1/2 for lunch the next day. (They're so fat that half a chop is perfectly adequate for a meal.) (Edited to add: They're so fat as in they're so thick.)

My husband is a stickpin, so I used regular bacon for his. He hates cream cheese and he LOVES this recipe. He actually asks me to make it.
  • MarielP83
    MarielP83 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Salt and pepper the chops, season with some garlic/onion powder or whatever you like, place them in a baking dish and cover with tomato sauce of your choice. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for at least an hour, but an hour and a half is even better. They will be tender and delicious!