ive put on 5kgs HELP!

Hi ok i started out over a year ago and lost over 25kg. Start 108 lowest 81kgs.

Started a new relationship 5 minths ago and ever since ive put on weight im now 85kg.

I still track but seemed to have lost my mojo.

I think its because relationships are emotional and ive always been an emotional eater.

Im so disappointed in myself i just eat when i get annoyed at my partner!

BTW we are both women so it is very emotional at times.

I stopped swimming and am getting heartburn again. Straight back to big meals and take away.

I was on such a roll and felt so good but now im getting really scared i cant put on anymore.

I know i have to get a grip but seem to want to sabotage myself or list my discipline.

Anyone been in this situation?? Please give me advice??

Replies

• HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    You probably should check out a therapist or other professional if you have a severe problem with your food relstionship. We can give encouragement but it won't fix the emotional ties to eating.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Well done for reaching out.

This is the first step back on track.

If you are still logging, that's a positive sign. Keep it up!

Maybe I can send you some of my OCD and let you do the same as me and never go over your calorie limit (since April). :) Be honest with yourself above all.

Don't tell yourself you've lost your mojo or that you're an emotional eater. You can be whatever you want to be.

Best wishes.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    I know how you feel, I'm also an emotional eater, especially if I can't find someone to talk to about my problems immediately. Maybe that's something you can try doing? Talk to someone instead of eating your feelings.

Recently things haven't been great for me and I didn't have someone to talk to, I resorted to posting on MFP just to tell SOMEONE even if it's someone I don't know. And I didn't eat my feelings.

Maybe also try relaxation exercises like yoga.

Don't get discouraged. You need to be patient and consistant. You have two choices here... first you can throw your hands up in the air and quit and then never reach your goal, or you can deal with your problems, stay consistant, and reach your goal eventually.

Maybe change your mindset. Tell yourself you will feel better if you eat healthy and exercise, because you are taking care of yourself and loving yourself when you do it.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    If the relationship is stressful enough you are turning to food....time to reevaluate the relationship.

Couples and individual counseling. If it feels like too much work- cut your losses and move on.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    If the relationship is stressful enough you are turning to food....time to reevaluate the relationship.

Couples and individual counseling. If it feels like too much work- cut your losses and move on.

This as well. Or talk to her about how you feel.
  • crumpetandtea
    crumpetandtea Posts: 1 Member
    I didn't realise I was an emotional eater (or rather, how much that affected my weight) until very recently. Once I'd worked it out, I'm still trying to change that, but I do at least now recognise when I'm turning to sugar for comfort and try my hardest not to!
    If you know you're turning to food for comfort, while you're working to change your mindset on that, get rid of all the 'bad' snacks in the house and only keep healthy snacks. I've found if I don't know where a stash of chocolate is, my need to emotionally eat disappears after a while. And if it's that urgent, the walk to the shop will give you chance to clear your head and decide if you still want that comfort food.

If your partner is the ONLY reason you've started emotionally eating, then as devastating as it is, you need to seriously consider if your happiness with her is worth sacrificing your happiness in yourself. Talk to her, find a class you can both do together? Go for more walks, together? Do something active and sweaty (outside of the bedroom) together once a week if you can and see if that helps things - but if you're still on your journey and still wanting to lose, she needs to be on board to help, too.

On a personal note, I've been in a relationship where my partner was an enabler, actively rewarded me with chocolate and food and I ballooned. My current partner is a health nut himself so he keeps me in check and it's much easier to be generally healthier when you're surrounded by that attitude and motivation you may sometimes be lacking yourself.
  • georgieceaser
    georgieceaser Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks guys had a bad day today eating but just have to suck it up and get on track again. Even the girls at work (i manage child protection) eat up heaps but i was so good for a year and went for lunch but made good choices.

My partner and I are going shopping now and im buying good food and back on track as of this second lol

Im not gona lose all my hard work and let my emotions and work get the best of me.

So back to being organised fridge wise and mind wise.

Ive talked to my partner us women are hard work lol but we will support eachother one day at a time i guess

I will talk to someone if i cant get a handle on my emotions.

I just went premioum anyone else on that.

Cheers
  • Janehds0284
    Janehds0284 Posts: 87 Member
    It's ok to have a bad day and not careful what you eat but can't use it as an excuse everyday... You just have to remind yourself that you are what you eat, don't let someone/emotional get into you, make you eat and put on weight YOURSELF. sorry about my Asian English but I hope I help out :) good luck and stay on track!
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Tbh you need a lifestyle change not a diet just stick to mfp always it's free track everything that goes in your mouth honestly then you'll see what's happening in black & white
    Weightloss is hard as emotions so maybe write a dairy and when you need food to comfort write down comfort next to your diary entry that way you'll see how good medicated you
    I think a very high percent of us comfort eat without realising it
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Just get back on the horse. Every day is a new day, you can do this. Talk with your partner, and let her know this is important to you. If she is not supportive, that's okay, remember why you started this journey in the first place-do this for you, with or without the support of your partner.
  • JPearl44
    JPearl44 Posts: 13 Member
    I've noticed that swimming is hard to stay consistent with because so much is out of your control. My DH tries but it seems like as soon as he gets in a routine the lap swim times change or a team comes in or they close for a cleaning. Plus you have to actually have enough motivation to get yourself there.
    Maybe try something based from home for a bit to get back in the habit. Walks or runs or bike rides.

I know my dad took up running when I turned 13. It seems to be a good activity when the women in your life drive you batty! LOL!!!