How do you train for sit up?

Options
I need to train for a fitness challenge and am not sure how to train for sit ups. I can not even do one properly. I have to use my whole body and momentum to complete. This is bad form and will not work for the fitness challenge. They say practice by doing sit ups but I don't want to use bad form an end up strengthen the wrong muscles. I see people says planks which will help but that will not build the power/burst I need. Any ideas?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Make sure your abs are fully engaged before you start.

Try reverse sit-ups; Leg raises. Pulsing leg raises, etc.

Also hooking your feet under the couch, bending your knees, or keeping your arms by your side to assist by pushing down with your hands until you are on your elbows, then straight up from there.

You could try starting with feet under the couch and lowering yourself down, not concentrating on the sit-up, but more on the lay-down will help in the beginning.

Whatever you do don't lead with your head, you could damage your neck.

You need to build basic core strength for a sit up, that is why planks are advised.
    The power burst will come with stronger abs.

Cheers, h.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    bosu ball barbell squats without a spotter
  • farroz
    farroz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will try those out
  • LizaRolfsson1
    LizaRolfsson1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you are male or female but after three weeks of Jillian Michaels 30 day shred I was able to do a sit up,and not just one, with good form for the first time in my life. When i started i couldnt even get my shoulders off the floor. Like others said, core strength is key. Good luck!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    @LizaRolfsson1, I have just done 30DS. It would definitely work for @farroz, but is not sit-up form oriented. She would still struggle on form for that specific exercise, but you are right about strengthening the core.

It is available at 21daychallenge.com all 3 parts, or part 1 on YouTube. You would do well just concentrating on pt1 if you are new to exercise Farroz.

Cheers, h.