What are your favorite (cooked) oatmeal mix-ins/toppings?

Options
Tatarataa
Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
Looking for ways how to spice up my oatmeal...many thanks!

Replies

• annyone1
    annyone1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    cinnamon and diced apples; teaspoon each of raisins and chopped walnuts; blueberries.
    I eat oatmeal every day. I love it, but I'd love to see other suggestions as well.
  • kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I eat steel cut oats or regular oats for breakfast at least 3 x per week. I add in a lot of different things. Pumpkin & cinnamon, a little brown sugar & some pumpkin pie spice & walnuts or pecans for my pumpkin oatmeal. Sometimes I'll add a little coconut and raisins or craisins. Sometimes 1/2 banana and nuts. I like to change it up a lot so I don't get bored with it. I make mine with unsweetened almond milk to make it creamy without too man extra calories :-)!
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    my default is berries (fresh or frozen whatever looks good or is on sale) and either almonds or walnuts and cinnamon. I've also done berries and peanut butter and once maybe a reese' peanut butter cup, which is amazing. Occasionally I'll do savory instead - scramble an egg, add cheese and pre-cooked bacon or lunch meat or leftover meat, but that ones a rarity because microwaved eggs kind of wig me out.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Lately I've really been liking 2-3 chopped dates in my oats. If I need extra calories I will also add some hemp hearts.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I've switched from plain oats to Rogers Porridge Oats, which is a combo of large flake oats, oat bran, wheat bran and flaxseed. It is awesome and has a nuttier flavour than plain oats. I add stevia, maple extract and cinnamon. I've also made it with vanilla almond milk instead of water. Pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon and stevia is another combo i like. Adding a scoop of protein powder like Fittmiss vanilla chai is another option.
  • smabry508
    smabry508 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fresh strawberries and black berries. (Cooked a little in honey). Walnuts and raisins and well.. Cinnamon is a must!
  • Tatarataa
    Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    -Peanutflour (like PB2 but unsweetened)+sweetener
    -Dark baking cocoa+ Sweeetener (+ sf dark chocolate chips)
    -Vanilla bean+ Sweeetener+sf dark chocolate chips
    -Cinnamon+Sweetener
    -Cooked apple+Cinnamon+Sweetener
    -Plain greek yogurt+Cinnamon+Sweetener
    -Pear+almonds+Vanilla Bean+Sweetener
    -Strawberries+Vanilla Bean+Sweetener
    -Peanut Butter+Sweetener
    -Chopped walnuts+cinnamon+raisins+Sweetener
    -others..
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Salt and Mozzarella Cheese..
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I add a TBS of flax seeds and fresh blueberries. I add the blueberries as it thickens so they explode with flavor. No milk or sugar added.
  • PatE96
    PatE96 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I add 1/2 c. fresh or frozen blueberries, 1/4 C. pecans and a tad bit of honey. Also, have you tried the new Coconut sugar available? Its also awesome to add to food and drinks, but watch adding to certain things since its brown. I used in my homemade cheesecake and it made it a tan color instead of the regular yellow/white color. Still tasted amazing!
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I like Peanut Butter mixed in with Strawberry Oatmeal. Sometimes I'll mix in chocolate protein powder or ovaltine.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Better Oats instant oatmeal. It has flax seeds & vitamins in it and has a lot less sugar than other instant oats.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Canned pumpkin, seeds (like Chia, sesame, flax), nuts of all types, peanut butter or pb2, all types of dried or fresh fruit, cubes of lower fat cream cheese, spices or seasonings, cocoa powder. Sometimes I stir dried uncooked old fashioned oats into some yogurt at night and just eat it the next day. It's called overnight oats. Or you can make baked oatmeal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Honestly I need strong flavors or it tastes like cardboard to me. A few mix ins just don't cut it. Quest protein powder makes it more pudding-like and it's actually tasty that way.. so it's pretty much the only way I eat it now, and cooked with milk.
  • HypnoticHayleeLynn
    HypnoticHayleeLynn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I microwave frozen cherry berry mix and put in the oats and some almond milk. Then I microwave a Lil longer and then mix in peanut butter. Amazing!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, chocolate powder from the cooking aisle, PB2, cinnamon
  • kellyrockstar111
    kellyrockstar111 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin seeds, frozen strawberries, cinnamon and trivia