Fasting 19 hours a day

Options
cathode1977
cathode1977 Posts: 109 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Is any one out there trying 19 hour fast diet you still eat the the same food just got n five hours to eat it
I have my breakfast at 2pm lunch at 3pm and dinner at 6pm I am on day 4 and all is going no well finding I am snacking less as I am full for the eating part of the days but macros are all the same stomach is less blotted and I seem to be mo e alert during the mornings you can drink herbal tea and water during the fasting bit

Replies

• walkywish
    walkywish Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hey, can I ask how many calories you eat while fasting?
  • cathode1977
    Options
    1400 -1600
  • cathode1977
    Options
    My sister is doing it and has lost. 9ib in3weeks she said the 1st week she only lost one ib in but the second week the weight started to fall off
  • Yellowon02
    Yellowon02 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of that site.

But I am familiar with intermittent fasting. Right now I do 16/8.
    Fasting is showing some surprising benefits besides weight control. I encourage researching :)
  • ck763074
    ck763074 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This works for some people. As long as you are still getting a healthy number of calories and can sustain it I don't see a problem.
  • geoblewis
    geoblewis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I did it for over a year. Lost 30 lbs. Fasted 16 hours, ate 8 hours. It's called intermittent fasting, or IF. I loved it and wish I could keep doing it, but I'm now insulin dependent and can't. But if I were to do it again, for me, I'd need to eat smaller meals, and very low carb, because eating full meals that close together elevates my blood sugar and keeps it too high.

I too felt really clear headed and full of energy when I did IF. It turned out that I had strong sensitivities to some foods I normally ate in the mornings. When I eliminated those foods from my diet, I felt clear headed and full of energy all the time. I had to stop eating soy, dairy, and wheat. I'm so sensitive to soy that I have to find pasture raised poultry products because soy feed for chickens even affects me when I eat eggs. Now I eat eggs I get from someone who let's their chickens roam free in the pasture, and supplements with soy-free non-GMO feed, and I can eat eggs every day.
  • cathode1977
    Options
    geoblewis wrote: »
    I did it for over a year. Lost 30 lbs. Fasted 16 hours, ate 8 hours. It's called intermittent fasting, or IF. I loved it and wish I could keep doing it, but I'm now insulin dependent and can't. But if I were to do it again, for me, I'd need to eat smaller meals, and very low carb, because eating full meals that close together elevates my blood sugar and keeps it too high.

I too felt really clear headed and full of energy when I did IF. It turned out that I had strong sensitivities to some foods I normally ate in the mornings. When I eliminated those foods from my diet, I felt clear headed and full of energy all the time. I had to stop eating soy, dairy, and wheat. I'm so sensitive to soy that I have to find pasture raised poultry products because soy feed for chickens even affects me when I eat eggs. Now I eat eggs I get from someone who let's their chickens roam free in the pasture, and supplements with soy-free non-GMO feed, and I can eat eggs every day.

That's a very good loss Will give a good few moths trial and see how I do
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If it fits into your lifestyle, then go for it. Overall, total calories will determine weight loss rather than the timing of those nutrients and the number of meals; macronutrients and training will determine health and whether is is fat loss or weight loss. I tried 16:8 for awhile and it just didn't fit into my lifestyle and could never get adapted to the very long fast.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    No reason to make yourself miserable,
    plenty of reasons not to.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23244741
    Double trouble: restrained eaters do not eat less and feel worse
    "high levels of dietary restraint do not appear to reflect actual caloric restraint, it has been found to be a risk
    factor for a wide array of maladaptive eating patterns. ... restrained eaters do not eat less than they intend to do"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18325547
    "We examine the comfort food preferences and consumption patterns of women with highly versus less developed
    schemas for cognitive restraint, emotional and situational eating ... complex eating schemas weaken biological
    signals and produce maladaptive patterns... High schematics reported a lesser post-consumption increase in
    fullness than low schematics.
    Low schematics favoured low and high calorie foods equally, their choice motivated
    by pleasure and positive emotions."
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    geoblewis wrote:
    I did it for over a year. Lost 30 lbs. Fasted 16 hours, ate 8 hours. It's called intermittent fasting
    Funny, I did it the other way around,
    fasting the 8 or so hours I slept,
    and eating whenever I felt hungry in the other 16 hours.
    Worked fine for me, because I was eating fewer calories than I needed.

51637601.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    If it's a style you can adhere to for a long time then good. If you're just doing it for weight loss, then really it's just about CICO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say IF is a "complex eating schema" or takes any higher "levels of dietary restraint" than the typical calorie counting dieter.

It's associated with health benefits, though.
    http://authoritynutrition.com/10-health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting/
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat between 11 am and 7 or 8 pm, usually. I'm a natural-born breakfast skipper. But, I do find that if I eat earlier in the morning for some reason, I'll still want to eat the same amount throughout the rest of the day. And if I eat later in the evening, I'm more likely to snack up until bedtime. So keeping to my schedule has become a dieting tool.

If you're doing well, you're doing well. Its kind of hard to argue with that. I'm assuming here that you get an adequate amount of food in those 5 hours.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I wouldn't say IF is a "complex eating schema" or takes any higher "levels of dietary restraint" than the typical calorie counting dieter.

I just want to point out that among the citations in that article, those that link to single studies all involve fasting intervals between 24 hours and 5 days. Usually when people talk about IF (I think), they speak more about eating over only a portion of a day, like the OP. So I've no idea how that kind of IF would relate to the benefits studied. Also, some of the studies are on mice, and I don't know how often mice typically eat anyway. Probably as often as possible. A couple of the links are to reviews of other collections of research, though, and I didn't go through all the individual studies.

Bottom line: it may or may not be associated with health benefits. Certainly its working for some of us.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    My sister is doing it and has lost. 9ib in3weeks she said the 1st week she only lost one ib in but the second week the weight started to fall off
    9 lbs in 3 weeks is not safe and not sustainable. You can lose up to 2 lbs a week safely and consistently

• Bartmg85
    Bartmg85 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You could also drink black coffee while fasting. Coffee is an appetite suppressant and gives you energy. I love intermittent fasting I do it daily.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    If this works for you , great. As long as you realize that a calorie deficit is causing the weight loss not your meal timing.
    If I ate 1500 cals all at once or if I had 3 small 500 calorie meals or five smaller 300 calorie meals, it would all equal the same weight loss. Meal timing makes no difference. It comes down to the calories for weight loss.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Bottom line: it may or may not be associated with health benefits. Certainly its working for some of us.
    The association is a statistical fact, in many studies beyond the scope of that link.

It may or may not be causal. That's up to each reader decide.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,545 Member
    Options
    I wish I could link to studies but can't find anything with mobile phone at the moment. In the Middle East there are discussions about this kind of extended fasting in combination with Ramadan. Looks like especially women are more likely to develop diabetes* from a kind of eating where you fast for a long time each day and then eat your normal calories within a relatively short time. This seems to be related to a massive blood sugar and then insulin spike.

*there apparently was a study with people who just eat normal and don't stuff themselves with masses of sweet stuff during Ramadan.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    OP, you might wanna check out the IF groups here.
    Eating windows between 4-8 hours are common in daily plans.
    Then some people do full-day fasts once or a few times a week.