Can I walk a 5K race?

Options
So I have been walking a lot because my previous knee injuries don't allow me to run without risk of dislocation. That being said, I think I'd love the accomplished feeling of participating in races. Can I walk in a 5K race, or is that frowned upon? Is there any etiquette I should know besides obviously stay out of the way of runners? Thanks for your help :)

Replies

• ck763074
    ck763074 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've seen it done before for non-runners. Most 5ks really aren't competitive, and are made to raise money for some sort of cause. I know most people who are willing to pay the $20-$30 and walk are not frowned upon, and it is still encouraged because that's still an extra amount going towards the cause.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Yes OP you can walk a 5k. Whether it is local or part of a 4 day progressive series you can walk.
  • faberallison
    faberallison Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help! I've never been at a race as an observer even, so I appreciate your posts.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Every race has its own culture, some being more running oriented and others being more diverse in terms of who shows up. I've never been to a 5k where walking isn't allowed though. I have done longer races that forbid slower people, usually because they have limits on the time they can shut down the road and keep volunteers in place. Those events will explicitly tell you a time limit to finish on the page and you can decide if you can meet that (though they don't usually explicitly ban walking since racewalkers can outpace the slower joggers...it is more based on finish time)

One clue as to the "local culture" at a race and whether it is really walker friendly is the website where you sign up. The most walker friendly tend to be heavily featured as being about something other than the run itself....an important charity, holiday, or cool situation like a glo run. The most walker friendly also explicitly tell you that walkers are encouraged, maybe naming the event a "run/walk". Finally, check the finish times for past years (if it isn't a new race) which is likely on the site... You can see how many people are going at paces in your range.

In terms of etiquette, the main thing is to line up by speed at the start, with medal contenders on the front row with fast runners behind them, then slower runners. Walkers in the back. If a walker tried to snag a spot in front of the pack it would be incrediblely rude. People will run into you/have to pass you in a crowd while just trying to run their normal pace and it will annoy them. Like when a car gets into the fast lane on the busy interstate and goes 20 miles under the speed limit! Start with others in your pace. In a smaller race this may be informally arranged...a big one will ask your estimated finish time when you register and will assign you to a starting "corral" (of similar pace people) where you have to stand at the start.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Most of them will be fine with walkers. Races that advertise as a "fun run," that have elements like color/glowsticks/foam or that have kids' categories or an associated 1-mile races will definitely be welcoming to walkers. If there's a specialty running store near you, they usually have bulletin boards with local races, some of which are pretty informal and may not have much info online, and the staff can usually answer questions about what races are friendly for beginners and walkers.

Even if you're not a runner, most races are a fun experience, especially with friends, and if it's a charity run you're supporting a good cause. You generally get a t-shirt and a pro picture or two. What's not to like?
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    If you research local races online there will be some that have walking divisions. "Fun run" and "Donations to XX charity" also are fine for walking. My town has a huge 5K every Thanksgiving that literally has hundreds of participants from very young to quite old; dogs on leashes and strollers abound. Everyone gets a Tshirt and remaining proceeds go to local cancer patients. I would absolutely encourage any walker to participate in a "race" like that.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I always walk 5k's. There are the runners and joggers in their cute spandex and toned abs. There are also plenty of walkers in our t-shirts. No shame there! At least we are moving!!!
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of fun runs that are great for walking. Check out color runs, super hero runs and Disney 5ks.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've walked several 5k events and a 10k. I was last out of 1400 people the first time, but I finished--something I couldn't have done a few motnhs earlier. I'm scheduled for two 10ks this spring. Most events keep the finish line open until the last finisher crosses! Go for it!
  • Dream2lose
    Dream2lose Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've done two 5k's and one 8k. I walked all of them and didn't come in last! In the races I did the runners were asked to start up front and I liked that, because I didn't feel like I was in their way. The main thing is to have fun and remember this is your journey and no one else's. I am 51 and have ankle problems so I don't run.
    Good Luck!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Every race I've done has had walkers. Just line up in the back and you'll be fine! :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I do parkrun (5K) every Saturday, and there are always walkers.

I've walked it myself when I was saving my running for a race the next day.