Fully Hydrogenated fat vs. Partially hydrogenated fat?

Options
MelaniaTrump
MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
edited January 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Peanut butter contains which kind? (the ones that do contain this).
Crisco, which kind does it contain?
Do all crackers (the ones that contain) contain the partially?

I did not know before today partially hydrogenated and fully hydrogenated were two different things.
The fully hydrogenated is ok stuff?

Replies

• sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If in doubt, check the nutrition information and the ingredients. In the U.S., anyway (not sure where you are). FDA labelling requires trans fat to be listed in the nutrition info if its over .5 gram, and the ingredients will say either partially hydrogenated or just hydrogenated.

ETA: http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/LabelingNutrition/ucm079609.htm
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, good (assuming there's nothing added to make it bad).

Crisco - the absolute worst and the original source and inspiration for trans fats.

Not all crackers are bad - check the label. If it contains trans-fat, avoid it.

The difference between hydrogenated vs partially hydrogenated is the firmness of the fat. The more solid it is, the more hydrogenated. Either way the process creates trans fats which are very bad for your health.
  • sheermomentum
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Peanut butter, good (assuming there's nothing added to make it bad).

Crisco - the absolute worst and the original source and inspiration for trans fats.

Not all crackers are bad - check the label. If it contains trans-fat, avoid it.

The difference between hydrogenated vs partially hydrogenated is the firmness of the fat. The more solid it is, the more hydrogenated. Either way the process creates trans fats which are very bad for your health.

I beg your pardon, but fully hydrogenated oils do not contain trans fat. What THAT process does is to turn an unsaturated fat into a saturated fat. So, if you want to avoid that, then that's a whole other issue.

Google is your friend: http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/food/article/hydrogenated-oils

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/04/q-a-is-fully-hydrogenated-oil-better-for-you-than-partially-hydrogenated-oil/index.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogenation
  • dewd2
    Options
    Yes, you are correct about the trans fat in fully hydrogenated. Sorry, mis-typed and mis-remembered. I stand by the fact that they are still not natural and not good for you. And they are unnecessary. There is nothing wrong with saturated fats. I use both lard and butter.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,180 Member
    Options
    Any hydrogenation will produce trans-fats. It is meant to take oils that are liquid at room temperature more or less solid.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    None of that junk is ok. Stick with the healthy fats, like coconut oil, macadamia nuts, Kerrygold butter.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    One of these things is on par with actual saturated fat, and the other is even worse. Unless you're opposed to eating animal products, you might as well substitute back in your butter and tallow and lard.
  • dewd2
    Options
    Now that I am awake I need to go back and read more about this. I have several books on this subject and it has been a while since I read them. I will say that any oil that is turned to a solid is not a healthy fat. I will also add that saturated fat is NOT all bad. As I said before, I use butter and lard and I have no cholesterol issues and I lost over 50 pounds last year.

My advice is always fat is fine as long as it is natural and fits into your daily allowance for calories.

The last couple books I read on this subject include "The Great Cholesterol Con: The Truth About What Really Causes Heart Disease and How to Avoid It" by Malcolm Kendrick (recommended) and "Death by Food Pyramid: How Shoddy Science, Sketchy Politics and Shady Special Interests Have Ruined Our Health" by Denise Minger (book is OK but author is full of herself).
  • sheermomentum
    edited January 2016
    Options
    +1 for butter and lard. :) I think the OP was thinking at least partially of packaged products though, where hydrogenated oil is more likely to be used for cost, texture, and/or shelf-life reasons. For me, the bottom line is that I wouldn't turn down a box of crackers if I wanted them, just because they had hydrogenated oil instead of lard or tallow.

Out of curiosity I also checked on the Crisco question. Looks like they've changed their formula, and no longer contain trans fats. Not surprising since the ban on trans fats in products the U.S. goes into effect next year: http://www.crisco.com/products/all-vegetable-shortening-17-315
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Peanut butter contains which kind? (the ones that do contain this).
    Crisco, which kind does it contain?
    Do all crackers (the ones that contain) contain the partially?

I did not know before today partially hydrogenated and fully hydrogenated were two different things.
    The fully hydrogenated is ok stuff?

I don't buy food that has either partially hydrogenated or fully hydrogenated fat. Crackers from major brands that have neither are readily available.

I don't buy peanut butter that contains more ingredients than peanuts and salt.