How to keep shins from burning while jogging

Options
I had a problem with my shins burning while jogging and finally figured out it was because I had poor form. I was browsing the forums and I saw literally dozens of people with the same problem and instead of replying to them individually, I thought I'd just post it up. Not trying to sound like a know it all, because I'm new at this, too, but it was honestly an instant and complete fix to my burning, agonizing shin pain. So, I hope it helps some of you with the same problem! I'm not gonna try to explain it, but here is the youtube video that helped me. It shows a step by step guide on how you should be running. It has to do with how you land, etc. Hope it helps! I just finished the first week of C25K and don't think I could've done it without this information.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrOgDCZ4GUo&feature=related

Replies

• tigertown11
    tigertown11 Posts: 310
    Options
    I am on my first week of C25K!!
    Lets do this together. i have one other person with me.
    No shin problems yet, just respiratory!
    Friend me!
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info... I am getting ready to start marathon training and this will help!
  • smitchell37
    smitchell37 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!! Im just finished c25k w4. I have been wondering if I was running correctly. I have never been a runner but I love it
  • smitchell37
    smitchell37 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!! Im just finished c25k w4. I have been wondering if I was running correctly. I have never been a runner but I love it

sorry it posted twice. I still have problems breathing
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Good find. I read a book in highschool that showed me those techniques years ago. Bump this once in a while for people to see.
  • wjkirby
    wjkirby Posts: 120
    Options
    Just read this article the other day and thought it was good.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267-268-8210-0,00.html
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    if you don't find your answers here, you can do a search for "shin splints". :-D
  • skinnyrache
    skinnyrache Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Thank you for posting this! I literally have had shin and knee pain for years and all along thought I was running just fine and I just had a goofy body. Maybe now I will actually be able to turn myself into a true runner :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I changed my stride like shown in the video and have had zero knee or shin pain.

However, if you have not run like that before you will go through a period of calf soreness as the previously dormant muscles and tendons get used. They need time to strengthen.

Also, it is easier to run like that if you wear shoes with minimal heel lift. Most running shoes have heels with a 1/2 to 1 inch lift. Minimalist running shoes have from zero to a few milimeter lift.
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    Its proabaly shin splints. I had them all through middle and highschool and made running impossible I actually had to do another activity whiel everyone else ran because it was so painful. I was told to try wrpping my shins with altheletic tape ... didnt do anything. And then I was told to get arch supports.. never did that but i finally found a pair of shoes that helps a lot. they're sketchers, no lace up, the're called dlites. I buy the same ones everytime i need new ones and I havent had any problems. They last a long time too :) Hope it helps!
  • Koalaboo
    Koalaboo Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • kleeper80
    kleeper80 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This was very interesting and helpful to me. I am getting ready to start week 4 of C25K tonight, and have just started having some shin pain. I am going to concentrate tonight on this and hopefully it will get rid of the problem!

Thanks!
  • monicainacoma
    monicainacoma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I did notice that. Stretching helped a ton. :-)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I had a problem with my shins burning while jogging and finally figured out it was because I had poor form. I was browsing the forums and I saw literally dozens of people with the same problem and instead of replying to them individually, I thought I'd just post it up. Not trying to sound like a know it all, because I'm new at this, too, but it was honestly an instant and complete fix to my burning, agonizing shin pain. So, I hope it helps some of you with the same problem! I'm not gonna try to explain it, but here is the youtube video that helped me. It shows a step by step guide on how you should be running. It has to do with how you land, etc. Hope it helps! I just finished the first week of C25K and don't think I could've done it without this information.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrOgDCZ4GUo&feature=related

Good find, thanks for sharing! I definitely have that issue... I even have it when I do a brisk up a steep incline. Thanks!