Chasing Self Worth!

Options
It ain't easy marching into the gym with an I-so-got-this attitude if you're feeling less than stellar about yourself, especially if the only decent gym in the area is a total meat market like mine. I used the be the blond gym bunny in the tiny pink yoga pants...then I had a heart attack while wreck diving in Madeira, Portugal. Fast forward 2 yrs past open heart surgery, new heart parts, and recovery... my size 4 is now an iffy size 10 and my imabadass attitude got lost in the hospital. I def don't walk through doors with imaginary backup dancers and theme music anymore. It's rough when you don't feel your best. After everything I went through my confidence was shot...but I still gotta "get healthy or die earlier" (says my jerk cardiologist). Life is short, people, and mine will be shorter than most, even if I magically morph into Jiloan Michaels. I moved to FL for all the insane outdoor sports and scuba diving. I'm not going to let those sofa-is-a-safe-place feelings stop me.

So, here's how I deal:
1) Make a mental list of all the cool things I've done and can do (girl mechanics rock, right??), then go through the list every time I feel down or unsexy.

2) No one is staring at the loser when I walk into the gym, but it feels that way. So... cute new workout clothes/shoes/accessories...hair looking nice...new playlist... and drive to the gym in my 1972 Dodge Demon 340 muscle car (that I rebuilt all by myself). By the time I get to the meat market door I feel pretty good. Relaxed workout commences. Be nice to yourself and the confidence follows.

3) Rewards!! For every 5 lbs I lose my guy and I go do something fun. Monday, we're kayaking Juniper Springs...next 5 lbs, moonlight sea paddle to see herds of bioluminescent jellyfish. 10 lbs get bigger rewards, next one planned is snorkeling Rainbow River. We're saving up to dive Key Largo when I hit my goal!

4) Low motivation days = up my workout and end the day feeling extra successful. Great fall off the wagon preventative.

I learned through my life turning upside down that being your own best friend is the biggest confidence builder out there. Make a list of what big and small things you can do to feel good about yourself while you're working on getting healthy...then do it! I'm having so much fun I keep forgetting my butt is jiggly :-)

Replies

• niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Good for you & glad you've found a way returning the "confident self" arena! (I like your tip#4!)
    That's a very honest cardiologist of yours by the way :)
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Nice work. I agree with the above, I like your doctor.
  • SeizeTheDay2016
    SeizeTheDay2016 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this! Go get it, girl!! :D