Help! going to a party

Options
Tonight I'm going to a party where good will be served buffet style. I'm not going to bust out a scale or measuring cup Plus the food will be Jamaican cuisine so I'm sure will be hard to find on here. How in the world am I going to calorie count?? Am I doomed? I'm going to zumba this morning to earn calories

Replies

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yes, you're doomed.

Just kidding.

I don't take a food scale with me wherever I go, but the longer you've been weighing your food, the better you get at estimating what a portion size is. And don't be so sure that the food that's served at the party won't be in the database. It's pretty extensive.

Sometimes, you just have to do the best you can. Don't stress over it. It's one meal.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Look up Jamaican cuisine online to familiarize yourself with it. Figure out calories for a few dishes that seem to be common. Then google "serving size chart" and look at the image results for ideas on how to estimate serving sizes.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Guesstimate as best you can, enjoy yourself, don't worry about it! A day at maintenance won't do you any harm!
  • c_pantojas
    c_pantojas Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're doomed.

Just kidding.

I don't take a food scale with me wherever I go, but the longer you've been weighing your food, the better you get at estimating what a portion size is. And don't be so sure that the food that's served at the party won't be in the database. It's pretty extensive.

Sometimes, you just have to do the best you can. Don't stress over it. It's one meal.

OK lol thanks
  • c_pantojas
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Look up Jamaican cuisine online to familiarize yourself with it. Figure out calories for a few dishes that seem to be common. Then google "serving size chart" and look at the image results for ideas on how to estimate serving sizes.

Oh good idea!
  • c_pantojas
    Options
    Guesstimate as best you can, enjoy yourself, don't worry about it! A day at maintenance won't do you any harm!

Thankyou! !!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    DOOMED. my god. so dramatic.

I'm sure there will be side salad so load up your plate with greens, add some jerk chicken, pick a side of your choice and have it in moderation. And enjoy.
  • c_pantojas
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I'm sure there will be side salad so load up your plate with greens, add some jerk chicken, pick a side of your choice and have it in moderation. And enjoy.

Lmbo yea I am dramatic. I
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    c_pantojas wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

Lmbo yea I am dramatic. I

lol I can be too :) Don't sweat it.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Oh, man. Good advice!!
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Honestly I bet you will have no trouble finding jamaican food in the database here. I have found every single Polish food that I eat without issue.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,025 Member
    Options
    You do need to weigh and log everything consistently to get good results. But you live in the real world. Sometimes you just have to guesstimate. It's a party. It's not like you will be guesstimating every day. If you've been logging for a while you probably have a pretty good idea of what portion sizes look like. Just make your best guess and enjoy the party. If it were me I would eat light and drink plenty of water today before the party and get back on track tomorrow.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    No need to weigh stuff. It's one night. I would just suggest you don't over eat. It's that simple.
    Enjoy the party, try a little bit of everything if you wish and relax. One day will not set you back.
  • c_pantojas
    Options
    Thanks guys so much. Really great advice!