Affordable but quality HRM?

Options
I've never purchased a HRM monitor before, but I think I need to add it to my weight loss tool box. $50 is my target price. I've read some reviews on Amazon, but I feel pretty lost still. If there is a difference, I need one geared for women.

Replies

• KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Target has some one sale right now that would be right at your price target. One is a New Balance brand and the other is a Polar something. I've heard good things about both.
  • SandersWifey
    SandersWifey Posts: 387
    Options
    BUMP!! I'm in the same boat. I really want one, but can not afford much. :frown:
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    After buying 2 from Amazon that didn't have a Chest strap I returned them and bought another 1 from Amazon that had a chest
    strap and it was like $30 + and it works great. Its a Pulse Sonic.
  • jreese5226
    jreese5226 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Target has some one sale right now that would be right at your price target. One is a New Balance brand and the other is a Polar something. I've heard good things about both.

I have the New Balance N4 from Target and LOVE IT! Very easy to use!!!
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I got a Polar F6 on ebay for 28 bucks! It came with a chest strap and all of the instructions that were needed! It is cute and pink too =)
  • jagfan
    jagfan Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have the Ironman Race Trainer for women. I bought it online from NYWatches.com (I think). I just did a search and after much looking...I finally found this one. It is over $50, more like $85, but I think it was worth it. Good luck...there is so much to choose from!
  • prsop98
    prsop98 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think I have the Polar F6 too...but in BLUE! :o) I love it. The chest strap is a must.
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    I bought a Mio Drive from Academy Sports, $44 and it is strapless, works awesome and tracks your weight, age, gender, and calories burnt.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    After I saw that Target had a sale on HRM's from this thread I looked them up and saw that the New Balance heart rate monitors didn't have all that great ratings. The one that alarmed me was where they said that once they started sweating is when the HRM started becoming buggy and not monitoring correctly. I've heard of this happening with many HRM's so that's why I've been so reluctant to want to get one.

The Polar FT7 has gotten the best reviews I've been able to find (at least most consistently good)
  • duncanryan
    duncanryan Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My wife and I just bought Polar FT4 HRMs and are using them a lot. Easy to use, but may be a little out of your budget at $90 or so. Not sure if they have Sports Authority in your area, but they were just on sale and still might be.
  • jess4ava
    jess4ava Posts: 7
    Options
    Do you need a chest strap? I ordered one online, it hasent come in yet..but will it work w out the chest strap?
  • Rhaiyne
    Rhaiyne Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, guys! Chest strap monitors are far more accurate, correct? Are they uncomfortable to wear?
  • prsop98
    prsop98 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I always forget I'm wearing it.
  • lcs1211
    lcs1211 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and LOVE IT!!! The chest strap is so comfortable I even forget I have it on sometimes. I did a lot of research on HRMs - I had previously bought a cheap watch at Walmart for my HRM and found that it was not accurate at all. I finally invested the money in the Polar and I am soooooo glad I did. Around $90 as someone else stated, but to me it was well worth the money as this is something I plan to continue for a lifetime.
  • mommaski4
    mommaski4 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I had purchased a Timex Ironman HRM. I used it for about 4 months. While I loved it, it was easy to use and the HR part of it worked great, I was concerned it was greatly overestimating calories burned. It did not ask for height, gender, or age. I bought a Polar FT7 when I could. It was a disappointment at first because I could not see HR and time on the same screen, but even more disappointing was that it said I was burning far fewer calories, just as I suspected.

If you are looking only for HR monitoring, then most will do. If you are looking for calories burned, wait until you can swing a better one, usually about $100 or so.

As far as the chest strap goes, for accurate calories, then yest, you need the constant read of the chest strap. My chest straps for both models I owned were very comfortable, to the point you forget they are there. They sit right at the bra band, so we are already used to that.

Good luck with your choices.
  • ladybug2020
    ladybug2020 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    bump...I've been thinking about one too
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I'm on HRM #3 and I would echo everyone here who also says Polar are the best. I've had Polars and MIOs (hated it). I have the Polar FT 60 now and I love it. I wear it every time I work out, I can't go with out it. I don't even notice the chest strap when I'm wearing it.
  • jess4ava
    jess4ava Posts: 7
    Options
    The one I ordered is Sportline Womens Solo 925 heart rate watch and pedometer. It doesnt come with the chest strap and you have to touch it to get a read on the heart rate I guess! It was 80 and I got it on sale..I hope it works! I was really excited to get it..hope I'm not dissapointed!
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Someone else posted this link earlier. I have a Polar FT4, but it's more than $50. I would highly suggest making sure you get one with a chest strap though, and this has one for only $35. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QBASP0/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00005NNBW&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1DTF35A7J4PFFCWRVHM2
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I got a Polar F6 on ebay for 28 bucks! It came with a chest strap and all of the instructions that were needed! It is cute and pink too =)

I have the same one also in pink . I have had it for a while. I wouldn't be without it.
    You got a great deal. Mine was about $100 quite a while ago.