Stronglift several days in a row?

Options
2»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Idk, you've got 6 hours of pretty intense exercise for your week (assuming your pilates class is one of the difficult ones; I've had it both ways). That's plenty. I don't think I'd go adding more on top. And if I were going to add more, I'd replace something else with it. Personally I'd take out zumba, but that's just because I'm a terrible dancer. ;) The concern is burn-out and injury. If you've been doing it awhile, you're eating enough to support the activity, and you feel good then idk, it might be fine. The problem in my experience is that you often feel fine right up until you crash and burn, and the recovery process is long. How much are you eating? I know you have a lot to lose but you're also doing a LOT of exercise, so if you're trying to get by on 1200 calories or something then I'd be even more concerned about this plan.

If you do choose to ignore all of this advice and add some strength training on top of what you're already doing, which honestly is what it sounds like you're going to do, I wouldn't do any power lifting (that hurts my power-lifting heart a little to say). Stronglifts and similar programs tax your entire CNS system. You really need adequate recovery time. I'd choose something with more reps that's going to be a little less intense.
  • brianlundlarsen
    brianlundlarsen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You could probably get through it for the first few weeks while the weights are not too heavy, but I estimate that I personally would have failed without rest days after 3-4 weeks at most.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    girlinahat wrote: »
    What's the rush?

I want to lose weight! Hahahahaha. I have over 100lbs to lose! :D:D

Anyway...y'all saying I take rests in between, but can I do cardio during my rest days? I go to classes and can do anything from pilates to zumba to crossfit as cardio.

As a sample, this is how this current week looks like:
    • Monday-day shift
    • Tuesday-stronglift day 1 + 30min boxercise + 30min body pump with night shift after
    • Wednesday-sleep after night shift, then stronglift day 2 (which will probably be cancelled now) + 1hr energy pump + 1hr pilates
    • Thursday-stronglift day 3 (now day 2) + 1hr zumba + 1hr body blast
    • Friday-stronglift day 4 (now cancelled) + 1hr pilates
    • Saturday-day shift
    • Sunday-day shift

Anyway, as I figure it, I'm not doing any exercise on the days I'm working except hitting anything between 10-20k steps running around the ward (I'm a nurse), so i tend to treat those as my rest days.

No, this will not work.
    Why do you want to try stronglifts? Either something else needs to go, or you need to forget about it.
    For example, right now, you are doing pilates, which is strength training. So, if you feel it is not challenging and not helping you get to your goals regarding strength, look for a new more advanced class (or a new instructor). Or replace the pilates with a lifting program.
    However, again this is not going to work without changing what you do on each day. The average person cannot really do one hour high intensity cardio and then spend 1 hour on either lifting or bodyweight exercises. Unless both the cardio and the strength training routine are just half-hearted attempts, which kind of defeats the purpose of doing the classes. Or if the pilates class is some pilates-stretching type of program?
    I can see a lower or shorter intensity cardio session followed by strength training working, assuming you are already doing it for a while and are used to it. Also the opposite, first the strength training, then the cardio - it is something I have done in the past, when I was already in very good shape, and by the end of the cardio I usually wanted to just crawl back home and die.

As a side note, since you say you have been doing these classes for a while, and that you have a lot of weight to lose, perhaps it is time to take a step back and reexamine the whole thing, if weight loss is the basic goal. If the result of an intense exercise program is losing control over diet (I know it has happened to me, and I cannot be the only person to whom this happens), then lower intensity exercise might be worth a try.

Agreed. If your goal is to lose 100 lbs, a good deal of your focus should be on diet. It doesn't take that much cardio to increase cardio health and endurance, especially if you're truly walking 10-20k steps a day.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    So you plan worked for your previously but yet here you are, trying to lose 100lbs. You don't put on 100lbs in a month, so your month long holiday isn't to blame.
    Perhaps going to multiple classes on the same time works for a bit but in the end you burn out and just stop going, hence being back in the position where you want to lose 100lbs.
    You are asking for advice and then choosing to ignore a big part of that advice, mainly that doing that much in such a short space of time is going to mean that you either burn out or your actual exercises will be half arsed because there is no way you can give 100% in each of them.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What's the rush?

Anyway...y'all saying I take rests in between, but can I do cardio during my rest days? I go to classes and can do anything from pilates to zumba to crossfit as cardio.

• Monday-day shift
    • Tuesday-stronglift day 1 + 30min boxercise + 30min body pump with night shift after
    • Wednesday-sleep after night shift, then stronglift day 2 (which will probably be cancelled now) + 1hr energy pump + 1hr pilates
    • Saturday-day shift
    • Sunday-day shift

Anyway, as I figure it, I'm not doing any exercise on the days I'm working except hitting anything between 10-20k steps running around the ward (I'm a nurse), so i tend to treat those as my rest days.

I'm not certain why people are saying this schedule is so incredibly tough. It seems a but more time consuming+unnecessary=tedious than I'd recommend but with a couple of changes you could get thru.

You've for 4 workout days in a row. I see two choices. Option A you continue stronglifts on days 1 and 3. Pirates or body pump on days 2 and 4, with whatever other cardio class you want to do on whatever day of your choice. On days you feel run down from all this activity you skip the cardio class.

Option B you do an 2 part split program (upper/lower is an option but it's not the only option) where you hit each muscle group twice per week. Phat would be an example of a routine that works for this. Cardio works the same as in option A.

The key in all this will be making sure your diet is on point so that you're in a calories deficit each week. Without the calorie deficit you ain't losing no weight no matter what you do on what day.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    You definitely don't want to squat 3 days in a row. I think there's a rule against that in the Geneva Convention.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    What's the rush?

• Monday-day shift
    • Saturday-day shift
    • Sunday-day shift

I'm not certain why people are saying this schedule is so incredibly tough. It seems a but more time consuming+unnecessary=tedious than I'd recommend but with a couple of changes you could get thru.

You've for 4 workout days in a row. I see two choices. Option A you continue stronglifts on days 1 and 3. Pirates or body pump on days 2 and 4, with whatever other cardio class you want to do on whatever day of your choice. On days you feel run down from all this activity you skip the cardio class.

Option B you do an 2 part split program (upper/lower is an option but it's not the only option) where you hit each muscle group twice per week. Phat would be an example of a routine that works for this. Cardio works the same as in option A.

The key in all this will be making sure your diet is on point so that you're in a calories deficit each week. Without the calorie deficit you ain't losing no weight no matter what you do on what day.

My initial "that's too much" was based on the thought that she was going from non-exerciser status to three workouts a day status. So many people cut their calories and then immediately try going full throttle with exercise, only to hurt themselves or feel exhausted/burnt out and then post asking why they're so tired all the time (isn't exercise and eating better supposed to make them feel better?) My initial thought is always "well no s*** Sherlock, I'd feel like garbage too if I cut my food intake by 40% and tripled my activity level all at the same time."
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    What's the rush?

• Monday-day shift
    • Saturday-day shift
    • Sunday-day shift

Here’s an idea – give your schedule a go. But have in mind that if you wish to do Stronglifts, you may need to drop one of your other cardio or resistance sessions. Think which you would be happy to drop. And you may also need to rejig the days you do what workout. The reason I say this?

Firstly, recovery is important, as has already been described. Rest day means just that.

Secondly, I recently started back on Strongifts. Now I’m in no way cardio fit, nor do I have a lot of weight training experience (except lifting bags of sand at work now and then). I did workout A. On day three after workout A I was able to sit down without wincing. By day four I could do some gentle cardio. Sure, after a while I’ll get used to the range of muscle movement, but I doubt I’d EVER be able to do back-to-back full body programmes, and probably not a one hour cardio on the same day (maybe in the evening I suppose).

So try it. But no amount of weights or cardio will shift the 100 lbs to lose. That’s your eating that’ll fix that. And it won’t happen quickly, in fact, it’ll probably take the rest of the year.
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Does it have to be strong lifts? Based on your schedule looks like it may not be very feasible to achieve. Why don't you do Push/Lower/Pull split 3 days in a row? Just make sure you concentrate on the big compound lifts and progressively overloading.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    What's the rush?

• Monday-day shift
    • Saturday-day shift
    • Sunday-day shift

My initial "that's too much" was based on the thought that she was going from non-exerciser status to three workouts a day status. So many people cut their calories and then immediately try going full throttle with exercise, only to hurt themselves or feel exhausted/burnt out and then post asking why they're so tired all the time (isn't exercise and eating better supposed to make them feel better?) My initial thought is always "well no s*** Sherlock, I'd feel like garbage too if I cut my food intake by 40% and tripled my activity level all at the same time."

You're not wrong. But as long as it's technically possible I'm not opposed to letting someone bang their head against the wall to find out that it hurts. Besides, it could work, especially with her 3 full days of rest each week.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    What's the rush?

• Monday-day shift
    • Saturday-day shift
    • Sunday-day shift

It depends on what her pilates classes are. If it is a stretching type of class, it could work. But, if it is a traditional bodyweight strength training routine, it will be impossible. Either she will ill get hurt, or she will put no effort in it. Take Friday: doing stronglifts and then spending one hour doing push-ups, squats and planks variations? No way.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    You definitely don't want to squat 3 days in a row. I think there's a rule against that in the Geneva Convention.

I think the Geneva Convention only applies if your trainer is making you do and he/she is a foreign citizen.

A person can do what ever they want to themselves without involving Geneva Convention or the International Criminal Court.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    trswallow wrote: »
    yusaku02 wrote: »

I think the Geneva Convention only applies if your trainer is making you do and he/she is a foreign citizen.

A person can do what ever they want to themselves without involving Geneva Convention or the International Criminal Court.

I believe the Geneva convention is only relevant between warring states. I believe it is Article 8 of the European Treaty of Human Rights you are thinking of in relation to squatters rights, and even then I don't think it has any requirements as to the repetitive nature of the action.
  • mystgrl1604
    mystgrl1604 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Haha thanks for all the advice everyone! I've been going to my classes only since i've last been here, and doing research on what strength training i can do. The reason why i insist on having some sort of strength training is because i have observed other people losing more weight and keeping the weight off if they have incorporated some sort of weight training in their workout.

Plus i love doing weights! If ever i fall off the wagon again, it will be because of my cardio rather than burning out coz of the weight lifting. I love that burn!

Anyway, i found this great little app called Jefit and i've chosen a program that will call for me to do weights 3x/wk and then i can finish it off with my classes. It targets different muscle groups per session so i should be ok with doing consecutive days.

My plan is if i get too tired, i'll skip the class after the weights session :). 2hrs 3-4x/wk doesnt sound too bad to me, considering most people spend an hour in the gym 5-6x/wk.

What do you guys think?