40 lb...again-So what?

Options
I've been overweight since I can remember. The lowest I've been since at least 2005 is 200lbs and that's after losing 75 lbs. I ballooned up again to 275 where I regained anlost the same 30-40 lbs over and over- always coming back to the 270ish mark. Late last year I hit my highest of 309. I don't know what happened , but I snapped. I couldn't do it anymore. Regardless, I've lost 40 lbs- and to so many people that would be a huge accomplishment but there are two things that are stopping me from appreciating my "accomplishment"
1) I've done it a million times before and it's obviously meant nothing
2) I can't get below 270. It's like my body is like hahahaha you've spent so long here , so now I'm just gonna stick around at this weight- forever. Logically, I know that's not true, but that's how it's felt lately.

I'm just so upset with myself and needed to vent. Thanks.

Replies

• klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    You can get past 270 - it takes consistent honest logging and patience. Go read some of the success stories. And do what you can to think and envision the positive and not the negative. That was the past, you can do this and make it stick this time.
  • bspringer544
    bspringer544 Posts: 155 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If I could give you one piece of advice it would be to find motivation in something other than a the scale number because otherwise you're never going to succeed. Trust me. I'm working on my beating my previous 'lifestyle change' record, too. Dwelling on how much I still have to lose to reach an all new makes me absolutely miserable... Running around the yard feeling lighter and more energetic than yesterday, however, is the greatest feeling I know.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You sound really frustrated. I was yoyoing a lot too. Something switched at some point and I've been doing well. You obviously know how to lose. Focus on smaller, short term goals rather than the whole thing to reduce feeling overwhelmed. Evaluate sustainability of your plan. If you are going really hard to get the weight off quick then give up and regain (the info in your post suggests but doesn't really say this, so if it doesn't apply ignore this) that's not really sustainable compared to a slower lose that is easier to stick with. Personally, I finally found a balance that is working and I don't feel like I'm on a diet, so I can stick with it. You can do this. Start by thinking about what your roadblocks are and deal with those. One of my biggest roadblocks was not feeling like I deserved it. Dealing with that was challenging, but we'll worth it in the end.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    You obviously know how to lose. Focus on smaller, short term goals rather than the whole thing to reduce feeling overwhelmed.

Yeah, I think this is good. Maybe pick a ten pound goal. Something substantial enough to be "real" but not drastic. Hit that and then set your sights on another ten. If you do it in uh, "goal-chunks" like that where each one is your "new normal" it would help, I'd bet.
  • treebek
    treebek Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You can't eat an elephant in one bite, you've got to chunk it out. What I mean is that of course you have your ultimate goal of eating the elephant, but you've got to give yourself manageable goals along the way. It's a heck of a lot easier to lose 5lbs than 100lbs. So aim for those 5 lb goals and then when you get to that one, set another one, etc.

Also, and probably most important, you've got to stop treating this like a race. Like when you get to the finish line you are done and can just stop thinking about it. It just doesn't work, as you've experienced. Your health is a life long journey with no destination on the map.

Think about it this way, there's a reason you weighed over 300 lbs - you were eating more calories than you were burning. So gradually the weight packs on. Once you get to your goal weight, figure out what your maintenance calories are and try to stay within those. You actually kind of get a lot.

I'm not saying you have to "diet" for life, but I know from experience the last time I lost weight that once I got to where I was happy with my weight I just let go...stopped exercising, went back to my old ways of overeating, not logging, drinking too much wine, etc and over the course of a year the pounds found me again. This time I'm definitely going to do it different. I know that I'm not one of those people who can eat anything they want and not gain weight, so I have to quit acting like I am :smile:

I know this is long, but I hope it helps!