I'm am addict

Options
I'm lost on how to get away from this terrible addiction for food. It's all I ever think about. I can just eat a meal and then immediately be thinking about the next thing to eat, it's never not on my mind. I need to figure out how to get this under control, I used to smoke and this is the same sort of addiction always looking for my fix. I have always been able to excercise but watching my weight rise because I can't get my eating under control is heartbreaking. Please no negative comments, I just need some serious advice.

Replies

• NeonStrikeVi
    NeonStrikeVi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Maybe a hobby would help, particularly something that would keep your hands busy.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Planning my meals has been a great help for me. Knowing exactly what (and maybe even when) I am going to eat, and to be able to look back and see written out what I have eaten, reassures me that there will be food soon, and that I have had enough. I don't have to think about food unless there is a meal coming up. Others have had success with intermittent fasting - learning to recognize true hunger and experience that a day without eating isn't going to kill them. It's a kind of anxiety, in my opinion, and can be dealt with in a number of ways, even seemingly opposite ways.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    First recognise that you are not addicted to food. Once you get your head round that, you regain the control over food more already. Lots of small snacks spaced out might help you or alternatively plan the opposite and just stick to regular meals. Yes to getting a hobby, keep busy mentally and physically
    Plan plan plan your food and log it honestly. Use mfp for support
    But honestly, don't give food that power over you, you aren't an addict and it doesn't have to control you
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    First recognise that you are not addicted to food. Once you get your head round that, you regain the control over food more already. Lots of small snacks spaced out might help you or alternatively plan the opposite and just stick to regular meals. Yes to getting a hobby, keep busy mentally and physically
    Plan plan plan your food and log it honestly. Use mfp for support
    But honestly, don't give food that power over you, you aren't an addict and it doesn't have to control you

Awesome post!
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals before hand, always keep to the plan. Make the food you eat yummy but healthy, so you are excited about it. Make enough for 1 meal, or if you make more put them out of the way right after you're done preparing them.
    Do you think about food because you are hungry or bored?
    If you are hungry you might miss nutrients, and if you are bored find something to keep you busy!
  • PrimalJillian
    PrimalJillian Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Food addiction is actually a medically recognized eating disorder that is considered to be more complex to treat that addictions to heroin or alcohol because the person suffering still needs to eat. I also have struggled with this, and much like alcoholism, you can be in recovery for years, but the right (or wrong) triggers could bring back extreme behaviors. I would highly recommend seeking professional help with this. I am not typically the type to rush to a doctor, but this is a real issue that you can get help with. If you want support from someone who's been there, please feel free to add me.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I think about food constantly too. I'm not sure this is all that unusual, tbh.

Not thinking about food very often, ambivalence towards food, forgetting to eat, etc. is what strikes me as anomalous.

You can positively channel the energy you're using being anxious about food, your next meal, etc by planning your next grocery trip, planning your menu for tomorrow (or later today if you still have room), researching recipe ideas or inspiration, reading reviews on new food products, or interesting kitchen tools, gadgets and gizmos you might be interested in purchasing, etc.

Just because thoughts of food occupies a lot of space in your head it doesn't mean they are a cue to eat or that there is something abnomal occurring. It's okay, and imo, completely normal to think about food, to think about your next meal, and to like food. :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I think about food constantly too. I'm not sure this is all that unusual, tbh.

Not thinking about food very often, ambivalence towards food, forgetting to eat, etc. is what strikes me as anomalous.

You can positively channel the energy you're using being anxious about food, your next meal, etc by planning your next grocery trip, planning your menu for tomorrow (or later today if you still have room), researching recipe ideas or inspiration, reading reviews on new food products, or interesting kitchen tools, gadgets and gizmos you might be interested in purchasing, etc.

Just because thoughts of food occupies a lot of space in your head it doesn't mean they are a cue to eat or that there is something abnomal occurring. It's okay, and imo, completely normal to think about food, to think about your next meal, and to like food. :)

Heh. I agree with all of this
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    you are not alone. We all have our weaknesses. I am so greedy with food. I have to make myself eat healthy and I have to say Enough and Stop. It is kind of like a bad spending habit, wanting to buy everything. You have to set boundaries and say No, who wants to? But necessary, I say I cant be a spoiled brat, entitled. Now eat a little bit of food and shut up and be grateful! (this is what I tell myself) I would love to buy a new car every year and eat everything in sight, neither works
  • robinotl
    robinotl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Heavybetty wrote: »
    I'm lost on how to get away from this terrible addiction for food. It's all I ever think about. I can just eat a meal and then immediately be thinking about the next thing to eat, it's never not on my mind. I need to figure out how to get this under control, I used to smoke and this is the same sort of addiction always looking for my fix. I have always been able to excercise but watching my weight rise because I can't get my eating under control is heartbreaking. Please no negative comments, I just need some serious advice.

I think about food all-the-time. That being said, I have several people in my family with the same thing. One of my cousins has had great success with Overeaters Anonymous (OA). See if you can find an OA group in your area - maybe that will help you get a handle on it.
  • MyBoyG
    MyBoyG Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Food addiction is actually a medically recognized eating disorder that is considered to be more complex to treat that addictions to heroin or alcohol because the person suffering still needs to eat. I also have struggled with this, and much like alcoholism, you can be in recovery for years, but the right (or wrong) triggers could bring back extreme behaviors. I would highly recommend seeking professional help with this. I am not typically the type to rush to a doctor, but this is a real issue that you can get help with. If you want support from someone who's been there, please feel free to add me.
    It's why dieting is a multi-billion dollar industry. The majority of people who are overweight, are so because of a love/hate relationship with food. Addiction, OCD, depression, no self worth, boredom, etc. There are so many reasons why people overeat...it's important to discover the why before combating the addiction. I eat out of boredom mostly. As an ex smoker I used to go have a cigarette when bored, and I replaced it with snacking. I love the taste of so many foods that I'll overeat it without thinking. Chocolate chip cookies, cashews, chocolate, etc. For me, I found other things to do when bored. Making jewelry, adult coloring, exercising. At work it's tough as there isn't a whole lot you can do, but I will pop into an empty conference room and do wall push-ups or leg lifts in the chair.

I agree that if you don't know why you overeat, seek help from a professional. It's important to find that answer. Good luck on your journey.

• lexabeep
    lexabeep Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should discuss this with a doctor. Two years ago before I started to try and lose weight I went in to check on why the heck did I feel starving all the time and to make sure I hadn't developed diabetes(high genetic risk factor). Turns out I was in fact highly deficit with certain vitamins. I truly appreciate the gueidence my doctor provided. I've also learned so much about myself in the last two years. One being that my relationship with food has been messed up since I was about 22. First with not eating while stressed to now being the opposite! I'm not sure which is worse. I wish you the best of luck.
  • Heavybetty
    Heavybetty Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for such great advice.