Cheat day?

I seen on Dr Oz that you should give yourself a cheat day once a week. Does anyone do this or do you just stay on track?

Replies

• mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    I don't make a point of it...but if it happens I don't worry.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    I tried it before, didn't work. After couple of weeks it just made me crave more of everything.
    Now I don't restrict anything from my diet, I just eat in moderation. And I have to say I
    eat much less "cheat" food now that I know I can have it anytime, then when I was on "cheat day".
    My advice is, eat when you want it, just make it work in your food calories, or exercise a bit more to get extra.
  • Shesaleo18
    Shesaleo18 Posts: 126 Member
    I did this program called 12WBT and we were allowed a cheat meal one day a week. On that day you weren't allowed to have snacks whereas every other day you have your b'fast,snack,lunch,snack,dinner.
    I found that worked for me as if I had a whole cheat day I'd probably blow all the hard work Iv done that week
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    I don't restrict myself from any foods. I just restrict my portion size and calorie total. I fit all foods I want into my deficit. If it's a special occasion I'll eat light for the beginning of the day, and then eat whatever I want (reguardless of calories) during the "event". I still log everything. I know I'll most likely be over on those days, but let's be honest, there aren't that many special occasions on a weekly/monthly basis. So that's OK.
  • jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    I will occasionally, but nowhere near once a week. Most of the time I want to stay on point because losing is more important to me than whatever the high calorie food is. That said, I don't avoid any food, so I don't really feel the need to cheat. I fit pretty much everything I want into my daily calorie goals.
  • FitCoachBrad
    FitCoachBrad Posts: 2 Member
    I think cheat days can be helpful for people for a couple reasons. Are they 100% necessary? No. But they can work for different people.

One, it gives you a definite mental break from the stress and confusions that can arise from dieting. It will allow you to take a day, not think about "sticking to the plan," and give you some freedom to eat foods you may be not be currently "allowed" in your diet.

Two, they can actually be pretty important for people following low calorie diets for extended periods. Low calorie diets can cause problems with certain hormones, and when you have a re-feed (cheat day), it will allow your body to better regulate these hormones.

It will depend on the individual, however. Some people do better with an all-or-nothing mentality, and if they do decide to have a cheat day, then they go waaaaay overboard, or that cheat day turns into cheat days. Or cheat weeks.

Or cheat months ;)

So, if you are the kind of person that can handle a free day, but be able to get right back on track tomorrow, then go for it. If you think it may be dangerous for your progress, I'd say hold off.

In the end, the strategically placed cheat day can do great to keep you on track, and further your progress.

Hope that helps,

B.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 902 Member
    It depends on the person. The issue is eating it in moderation - people think 'cheat day' and go crazy. In reality, you should eat things you normally wouldn't, but in -moderation-. So basically, eat at maintenance for the cheat day. -Shrug-
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I give myself a meal with unlimited calories every once and awhile. Not a whole day. I could eat 7000 calories in a day and that ruins a lot of hard work.
  • adcook1981
    adcook1981 Posts: 27 Member
    I think cheat days can be helpful for people for a couple reasons. Are they 100% necessary? No. But they can work for different people.

One, it gives you a definite mental break from the stress and confusions that can arise from dieting. It will allow you to take a day, not think about "sticking to the plan," and give you some freedom to eat foods you may be not be currently "allowed" in your diet.

Two, they can actually be pretty important for people following low calorie diets for extended periods. Low calorie diets can cause problems with certain hormones, and when you have a re-feed (cheat day), it will allow your body to better regulate these hormones.

It will depend on the individual, however. Some people do better with an all-or-nothing mentality, and if they do decide to have a cheat day, then they go waaaaay overboard, or that cheat day turns into cheat days. Or cheat weeks.

Or cheat months ;)

So, if you are the kind of person that can handle a free day, but be able to get right back on track tomorrow, then go for it. If you think it may be dangerous for your progress, I'd say hold off.

In the end, the strategically placed cheat day can do great to keep you on track, and further your progress.

Hope that helps,

B.

• adcook1981
    adcook1981 Posts: 27 Member
    That does help. I give myself a cheat day every once in a while. Sometimes I can't handle it bc then I want to cheat the next day and then the next and then it turns into a disaster!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Watch out for Dr. Oz; that guy's notorious for nonsense.

Anyways, no, no cheat days. I'm here to track things, so I do. But I also calorie-cycle which means some days I eat more than on others.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,114 Member
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    I don't restrict myself from any foods. I just restrict my portion size and calorie total. I fit all foods I want into my deficit. If it's a special occasion I'll eat light for the beginning of the day, and then eat whatever I want (reguardless of calories) during the "event". I still log everything. I know I'll most likely be over on those days, but let's be honest, there aren't that many special occasions on a weekly/monthly basis. So that's OK.

This is exactly what I do. I never feel the need to "cheat"
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Dr Oz........ dont listen to anything he says. Research and decide for yourself
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Some people can 'cheat' one day a week, others prefer to work their favorite foods into their daily maintenance. It's all about what works for you.
    I've found that my 'cheat' days tend to be kind of busts. Today, for example, I'm on the coast for a romantic weekend, long walks on the beach, fabulous foods in 4 star restaurants- I'm eating like a pig, but I've also hiked all over the beach and up and down dunes all the day. I think my numbers will pretty much wash. (Except I'm going for dessert tonight. BWAHAHAHA)
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    It's all about what works for you, in general I give myself once a week where I go out to dinner and eat an enjoyable meal outside of my norm, usually grab a beer or two with it, but I don't go too crazy very often. Other people enjoy having a dessert or extra snack thruought the day to give them the mental motivation to continue to "diet".
  • bunkster83
    bunkster83 Posts: 20 Member
    I have tried cheat days and they don't work for me. Like others have said, they turn into additional cheat days. I do however think it's ok to eat a higher calorie meal once in a while.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Doesn't work for me. I have high days, but I make it balance out over a week.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    It ain't even cheating!

My wife and I schedule a Bonus Meal once a week. We plan it, anticipate it, enjoy it and are done with it. No take home, no leftovers, no dishes, no guilt.

I never have to whine about "I'll never be able to eat that again". I can have pizza, BBQ, fried chicken, whatever for my Bonus Meal. It's a part of our lifestyle that works very well for us. She picks one week, I pick the next. We just got back from Applebees and had a wonderful time. Tomorrow is another normal day in the neighborhood.
  • Lallen377
    Lallen377 Posts: 32 Member
    Yes and no worries. I do it and still lost weight.
  • lexabeep
    lexabeep Posts: 232 Member
    I think it depends on how you define cheat day. I am on 1200 a day right now and am sticking to it no matter what. I have done this once before and am back at it. One thing I can say is I had the wrong idea about cheat days before. I would overdo it. I think for me it is better to save up the calories and then eat what I like or have a glass of wine. I'd test it out and see what works for you. But I would still try and track your calories, as to not go overboard.