Winter Walking

Options
Who has tips for winter walking? I live in Michigan and love to walk outdoors but find it hard to figure out what to wear to walk in to avoid getting too cold or too warm. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm in Ohio.

I tend to be warm but, in general, a long sleeved t-shirt and my winter coat is fine down to around 15F when it's dark. If it's light out, that's too much so I wear a middle weight coat. I wear capris down to the high 30s if I'm wearing exercise gear. Mid 40s+ would be a tshirt and light hoodie that I'd end up unzipping and likely take off if the tshirt is long sleeved. The key is easily removable layers.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Layers. You want a wicking baselayer so sweat doesn't sit on your skin, then top it with something you can adjust. I always wear something that zips all the way down as my outerlayer so I can unzip it a little if I am getting a little warm or all the way if I am getting very warm.

Typically when I am going out walking in 20° or lower temps, I will wear cuddleduds, duofold long johns, or leggings; then jeans or sweats. I do have snow pants I will wear if the wind is really blowing. On top I will wear a thermal long sleeve top and my jacket which is rated to -10°. Footwear is heavy hiking socks and my snow walking shoes (I also have Kahtoola nanospikes if it is icy). I do go snowshoeing and will wear gaiters to keep my lower legs dry when I do. I either wear a stocking cap or a fleece balaclava (if it is especially cold or windy) and ALWAYS wear mittens. Gloves aren't nearly as warm as mittens.

As I warm up, typically the first thing I take off to cool down are my mittens, then I unzip the jacket. Rarely do I take off the hat.

BTW: I am in Wisconsin and my avatar was taken last winter when I was hiking the ice caves in Lake Superior
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Walking in winter is an excellent way to burn calories because you have double burn. 100 calories burned per mile walked PLUS your body uses calories to produce heat to keep you warm. You should dress warm enough so you don't get sick. Dress in layers and use material which draws sweat away from your body. Avoid cotton, which stays wet next to your skin.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Zippers and layers are your friends! That way if you get hot, you can just unzip one layer.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Never been too bothered by walking in cold weather up here in Toronto. Once it goes below -10C I tend not to want to push the stroller to daycare. Typically I wear jeans, t-shirt, sweater or hoodie and a wool pea coat...and a toque and gloves. I guess I could always by a down jacket like Canada Goose...but never saw the need,
  • AliceA2013
    AliceA2013 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It depends where you walk, how cold it is, other weather conditions (wind, snow, humidity, etc) and whether you are more or less sensitive to cold compared to other people. I suffer the cold badly but I have just had a fantastic walk in the hills in the howling wind at near freezing temperatures with occasional hail and snow and rain. Invigorating!

I wore a breathable windproof/waterproof kagool jacket over several layers: a long-sleeved top, a thin middle jacket and a thick felt and lined outdoor jacket (yes, 3 jackets!); windproof overtrousers, sturdy boots (which keep your feet warm too), a thick furry-style cap with warm ear flaps covered with the jacket hood (- this prevents the wind from getting in through the back of your neck), and inner and outer gloves.

Google how to kit yourself for the great outdoors and/or, better still, join an outdoor group for further safety advice. Enjoy!

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Super, yeah, I love walking in the snow. Like everybody said, layers are key. I just wear a t-shirt, hoodie, and a field jacket for upper body. Gloves or mittens, and a hat. You can layer hats too if you want. A knit cap always and then a big Russian-looking "trapper" hat on top if it's really cold.
    For legs, just jeans and if it's much below freezing, then long-underwear too.

The main thing is to keep your feet dry though. You need decent waterproof boots, and if they're not so great, you can put shopping bags on over your socks.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Layers. You want a wicking baselayer so sweat doesn't sit on your skin, then top it with something you can adjust. I always wear something that zips all the way down as my outerlayer so I can unzip it a little if I am getting a little warm or all the way if I am getting very warm.

Typically when I am going out walking in 20° or lower temps, I will wear cuddleduds, duofold long johns, or leggings; then jeans or sweats. I do have snow pants I will wear if the wind is really blowing. On top I will wear a thermal long sleeve top and my jacket which is rated to -10°. Footwear is heavy hiking socks and my snow walking shoes (I also have Kahtoola nanospikes if it is icy). I do go snowshoeing and will wear gaiters to keep my lower legs dry when I do. I either wear a stocking cap or a fleece balaclava (if it is especially cold or windy) and ALWAYS wear mittens. Gloves aren't nearly as warm as mittens.

As I warm up, typically the first thing I take off to cool down are my mittens, then I unzip the jacket. Rarely do I take off the hat.

BTW: I am in Wisconsin and my avatar was taken last winter when I was hiking the ice caves in Lake Superior

^^This is good advice^^ I hike and typically gain 1000-1500 feet in elevation in a little over a mile, so I sweat...a lot. I start out a little chilly. I wear a wicking layer, an insulated vest and a waterproof/breathable outer layer, hat & gloves, windproof pants supplemented with lightweight long johns if it's below 20 degrees F, winter hiking boots, Stabilicers, and of course my trekking poles because I'm a klutz. I remove or add layers as needed and if the weather isn't very nice I'll throw an extra warm shirt,spare gloves and hat in my pack just in case I need dry stuff. I guess the key is knowing when to remove layers, before you get too sweaty. I haven't mastered that yet in all the years I've been winter hiking.
  • heart4sole
    heart4sole Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When walking in the winter, I carry a small backpack. This way, if I wear layers and get to warm , I can put some of my clothing in my backpack. : )
  • MichiganGirl67
    MichiganGirl67 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the input, going to put on some layers and head out tonight.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I got a set of over-the-shoe spikes from Costco that I love. I used to slip on the ice al the time - now it's almost like there isn't any ice at all. The downside is that they tend to slow me down a bit and are noisy.
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    yaktrax work great on snow and ice. You still have to be careful of course but during a storm or just after they keep me moving.